DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Blackmagic or AJA? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/105625-blackmagic-aja.html)

Josh Dahlberg October 14th, 2007 03:37 PM

Blackmagic or AJA?

Hi Guys,

I'm planning to put my XLH1's HDSDI output to use as we have a project coming up that will require a lot of chroma key and CC work.

I plan to record direct to Prores HQ on a Mac Pro using either the Blackmagic HD Extreme or the AJA Kona LHe.

The specs of the cards look pretty similar to me, and both seem to fit the bill. Am I missing something, is one of these solutions definitively better/easier/more reliable than the other for:

XLH1 (25fps) > capture card > prores 422 on a mac pro

Any insight would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Jamie Allan October 15th, 2007 08:43 AM

AJA over blackmagic any day of the week, quality of construction, support and product life is reflected in the price. If you've got the money, go AJA :)

We get plenty of BM hardware returned, the only support I do on AJA is people not knowing how to use them properly...

Josh Dahlberg October 15th, 2007 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamie Allan (Post 759102)
quality of construction, support and product life is reflected in the price

Thanks Jamie... I did note the substantial price difference and was wondering how to account for it. I guess you get what you pay for.

Michael Galvan October 16th, 2007 07:55 AM

Let me counter here ... I've used Blackmagic products with absolutely no issues before.

I have done exactly what you are looking to do - capture the HD-SDI from the Canon H1 directly into a BlackMagic Decklink HD Extreme in a MacPro directly to both Uncompressed and ProRes422. Worked flawlessly ...

I'm sure the AJA products will work just as well, but don't just discount the BM products too ... they can do the job just as good, and you could save money also ... just buy a product based on what your needs are.

The Decklink HD Extreme goes for about $1000.

Mikko Lopponen October 16th, 2007 09:35 AM

I didn't get any email back from Aja when I was having problems with the Aja Io. Blackmagic next door worked fine so I'm kinda leaning over there.

Jamie Allan October 16th, 2007 10:23 AM

Quote:

just buy a product based on what your needs are.
And not the quality of the product? You may not of personally had any trouble, but I deal with hundreds of people's problems which I believe gives me a pretty good point of view on the differences in quality.

It's funny you mention the HD EX, had one of those back yesterday which was completely dud after a year of use.

Michael Galvan October 16th, 2007 06:35 PM

Your point is well taken ...

All I can say is from what my experience is ... and I have done flawlessly what the OP is inquiring to do with the BlackMagic Decklink HD Extreme.

Will Griffith October 19th, 2007 05:32 AM

AJA VS. Blackmagic

Video Quality: Winner - AJA
Both companies have cards that do similar things with similar
formats, but AJA has superior realtime down conversion to SD.

Price: Winner - Blackmagic
Duh.

Customer Service: Winner - AJA
Both companies offer great support compared to most out there,
however IMO AJA is on a whole other level and have demonstrated
this time and time again.

Product Packaging: Winner - Blackmagic
Nothing wrong with either, but Blackmagic has a better use of color.

Conclusion:
If you need uncompressed HD in/out both rock. If you need
rock solid broadcast quality timecode, sync, and Teranex quality
conversion AJA wins.

Peter Ferling October 19th, 2007 07:43 AM

AJA, I have a XENA and us it daily, previewing cineform media for almost a year now. Including many hours capturing HD-SDI. No issues.