DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   My XL-H1 Uncompressed footage playing at B&H in NYC (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/106000-my-xl-h1-uncompressed-footage-playing-b-h-nyc.html)

Michael Galvan October 19th, 2007 07:42 AM

My XL-H1 Uncompressed footage playing at B&H in NYC

Hey all,

I shot and edited last spring a film trailer of a feature film I was looking to direct where we shot with the Canon XL-H1 24F with a P+S Technik Mini35 w/Zeiss Spuperspeed Cine Primes, and went fully uncompressed out and recorded to a MacPro w/Decklink HD Extreme to a field RAID.

I recently gave B&H a sample reel of some RAW clips of the shoot and they liked the footage so much that they used it as display footage in store on all their production monitors.

Well I just spoke with them yesterday and they told me that because of the footage, they quickly sold all the Canon XL-H1 cameras they had and are currently backordered. Can anyone let Canon know about this so I can get the next update to the camera for free? :)

So if you are in NYC and want to see what uncompressed XL-H1 footage with the mini35 and CinePrimes looks like, go drop by the store.

Darrell Essex October 19th, 2007 09:30 AM

Please post a sample of the video or frames for us.

Darrell
FIRST CINEMA PICTURES

Joe Batt October 19th, 2007 11:08 PM

I agree!!!

I can't go to New York I live in Ca. Please post it! I would love to see it.

Carlos Quinones November 3rd, 2007 08:17 AM

Great ! ! !

Michael....post some stills.

I would like to see some fo your work.

Take Care !

Carlos Quinones
It's Written Productions, LLC.

John C. Butler November 19th, 2007 01:14 AM

I agree. Please do post some stills. I in no way can afford this camera, but its quality an innovation fascinates me.

Floris van Eck November 21st, 2007 01:40 PM

Yes, please share the eye candy!

Michael Galvan November 27th, 2007 09:14 AM

Sorry, have been busy lately and totally forgot about this thread. I will try to get some quick RAW clips up of the footage soon. How do I get access to host footage on this site?

Suffice to say, the footage is great and I would have no qualms using this setup for a feature film. In fact, I'll be doing exactly that in the upcoming year.

What's interesting is I'll have the Sony XDCam EX1 in a few weeks as well, so I can do some direct comparisons of the 2 cams.

Michael Galvan November 28th, 2007 08:52 PM

Alright, I've compressed an H.264 for my website of some quick clips that you guys can check out. It is in the portfolio section, under "Uncompressed Footage."

I will try to get a short couple second clip up for download so you can see the video in full quality.

The clip posted is from a film trailer I shot back last spring. It should give an indication of what the camera is capable of when taking advantage of its capabilities.

Hayes Roberts November 28th, 2007 09:31 PM

Thats some awesome looking stuff, Michael- thanks for putting that up. Can't wait to see your EX1 comparison.

Jean-Philippe Archibald November 28th, 2007 09:39 PM

I will be at NY this weekend. Is your footage still displayed at B&H?