News from Canon at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old October 23rd, 2007, 10:29 AM   #1
Regular Crew

News from Canon

Something is up over at Canon with the XL-H1.
Look what there including with the purchace of a new camcorder.

http://www.webwire.com/ViewPressRel.asp?aId=50880

Darrell
Old October 23rd, 2007, 10:35 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Do you think this move is to lessen the blow to people who buy a H1 now, before Canon releases their solid state XL/XH HD series cameras in the spring?
Travis Binkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2007, 10:41 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Oh yea, something is coming from Canon.
I expected something sooner, since they usually launch their updates around this time of the year.
Their recent rebates must not of moved as many cameras as they had hoped.
I can't wait to see what is coming next.

Darrell
FIRST CINEMA PICTURES
Old October 23rd, 2007, 10:44 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Binkle View Post
Do you think this move is to lessen the blow to people who buy a H1 now, before Canon releases their solid state XL/XH HD series cameras in the spring?
Interesting.

Do tell more if there is more at this point.

Thanks

Jay
Jay Legere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2007, 10:52 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I don't know anything. Its just speculation on my part. But if a solid state HD camera is coming I would like to know before I shell out my hard earned for Sony's new EX ($7,000) I'm a fan of canon and have been since the Hi8 days, but Now that I have a FSC on my SD canons I don't want to buy another tape based camera when I move to HD. Right now based on specs, the EX has my money. I hope Canon announces their answer to the EX and I hope that answer isn't just a free Firestore with their HDV camera. While it's nice, it's not the same as being built in.
Travis Binkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2007, 11:20 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Here's another link.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/FrameWor...CANON_XLH1.pdf

Darrell
Old October 23rd, 2007, 12:29 PM   #7
Obstreperous Rex

And here's the official Canon USA press release:

http://www.usa.canon.com/templatedat...seriesann.html

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2007, 06:46 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Solid state makes a lot of sense. Goodbye mr. tape.

Too bad there is small hope of the resolution reaching 2k or even 4k.
Old October 23rd, 2007, 07:57 PM   #9
Inner Circle

This is a nice promotion.

It is similar to the deal that purchasers of the XL H1 received, if they attended one of the XL H1 road shows.

This one is more open, in that anyone who purchases the XL H1 receives the FS-C Firestore.
Old October 24th, 2007, 06:21 PM   #10
New Boot

Before you embrace solid-state video recording, consider how you'll store your valuable source video data (footage) after shooting.

A 60-minute MiniDV tape will hold approximately 13 Gigabytes of data (3.6 Megabytes per second)." (Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DV).

Here's why I won't abandon tape:

1) I have a 500GB hard drive. This drive wouldn't hold all my raw "footage" if I had to copy it all from MiniDV tape to disc. It's filling up now with edited scenes and compressed final projects.
2) MiniDV tapes are easy to organize on a shelf. They're cheap.
3) Loss due to fire/theft is the primary risk I see for MiniDV tapes, but this is equally true for a hard drive.
4) Hard drives eventually fail. Would you loose everything if this happened? I won't take this risk. I have a 2TB hard drive and I back up everything.

I will use MiniDV tape as an archive for all original footage, and the hard drive for working with copies and for non-linear editing.
Eric Muehling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2007, 06:43 PM   #11
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Muehling View Post
Before you embrace solid-state video recording...
The advantage of the FireStore recorder included with Canon's promotion is that you don't have to abandon tape. The ideal workflow here is to simultaneously record both to tape and to the FireStore. That way you've got the best of both worlds... an instant archive / backup on tape plus an edit-ready version on the FireStore that doesn't have to be captured. In other words, use the FireStore but keep on using tape as well.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2007, 06:50 PM   #12
Major Player

I wouldn't read too much in this promotion from Canon. It may just be what it says it is. A very good deal for the buyers of the XL and a smart way to stir the pot and remind any potential buyer of the Sony Ex that Canon is also offering a tapeless option (with the advantage of tape back up as Chris mentiooned.)

As far as a only tapeless camera, my take is that canon will wait for the xpress card to be very inexpensive and then make a killing. My bet is not before 2009.
Robert Morane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2007, 08:56 PM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
The advantage of the FireStore recorder included with Canon's promotion is that you don't have to abandon tape. The ideal workflow here is to simultaneously record both to tape and to the FireStore. That way you've got the best of both worlds... an instant archive / backup on tape plus an edit-ready version on the FireStore that doesn't have to be captured. In other words, use the FireStore but keep on using tape as well.
That is the ideal.....
many times having that tape copy has saved my hide. Having both is what you really want. This offer is very tempting.
Steve Wolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2007, 01:42 AM   #14
New Boot

Chris, thanks for the explanation. Simultaneous recording to both tape and FireStore sounds like a great solution. The FireStore would transfer data faster to the hard drive, and I'd never touch the tape again unless an archive was needed.
Eric Muehling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2007, 06:45 AM   #15
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
I like the idea of tape back-up and firestore for editing. But eventually, tape based solutions will disappear (except DLT perhaps). I'd like to see Canon, Sony, Panasonic, JVC and all camera manufacturer's start bundling their cameras with archive solutions.
Calvin Dean is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders