Scetches of Spain - XL H1 / Letus XL in Almeria at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old November 5th, 2007, 04:06 PM   #1
Major Player

Scetches of Spain - XL H1 / Letus XL in Almeria

Back from Spain, with lovely experience with XL H1 and Letus XL. A three days combined still and commercial production. I Used 50mm Nikkor for all shots. Marshall 7' for focus (no the Canon evf is still not good enough). Enclosed frame grabs and a picture of my setup for the production. I shot almost all clips handheld - but this setup is heavy. Some visible grain in light blue (heaven), but not to much (I will fix it in post). You have to have some NDs in your pocket if you are shooting daylight/sun. Letus is best at shutter 1/25-1/90. Will post clips any day...

I have ordered a RED, but still I'm quite impressed of this camera (which I will keep).
Attached Thumbnails
Scetches of Spain - XL H1 / Letus XL in Almeria-frames_almeria.jpg   Scetches of Spain - XL H1 / Letus XL in Almeria-letusxl_small.jpg  

Jonas Nyström, DoP :: HOT SHOT® SWEDEN :: www.hotshot.nu :: RED #1567, RED 18-50mm T3 :: XL A1, Letus Extreme :: XL H1, 20X & 6X lens (for sale) :: www.vimeo.com/nystrom

Last edited by Jonas Nystrom; November 5th, 2007 at 05:21 PM.
Jonas Nystrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2007, 06:07 PM   #2
Regular Crew

That is a sweet setup. looking forward to seeing some footage.
Paul Watkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2007, 12:36 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Jonas,

Your cinematography continues to be an inspiration. Any chance we could see a few clips? Would you mind revealing any presets/post processes used?
Benjamin Richardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2007, 01:01 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Looks nice Jonas!

I have the same setup, but looking for follow-focus;
is it the Cavision you use there? Are you happy with it?

Keep it up!

Carl
Carl Ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2007, 02:11 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Richardson View Post
Jonas,

Your cinematography continues to be an inspiration. Any chance we could see a few clips? Would you mind revealing any presets/post processes used?
Thanks a lot!!

I've shot Chris a mail as instructed, but haven't received any answer - do you guys know if he still is host clips? If so I will post clips any day!
Jonas Nyström, DoP :: HOT SHOT® SWEDEN :: www.hotshot.nu :: RED #1567, RED 18-50mm T3 :: XL A1, Letus Extreme :: XL H1, 20X & 6X lens (for sale) :: www.vimeo.com/nystrom
Old December 9th, 2007, 02:13 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Ny View Post
Looks nice Jonas!

I have the same setup, but looking for follow-focus;
is it the Cavision you use there? Are you happy with it?

Keep it up!

Carl
It's Cavision, and I'm happy with it, though it is the only FF I've used so I cant really tell...
Old December 9th, 2007, 02:20 PM   #7
Major Player

Jonas, any chance you could post full frame (2K) image, just wanted to see resolution, how Letus compares to P+S Mini, which I own.
Regards.
Oleg Kalyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2007, 02:33 PM   #8
Major Player

Oleg

I will do - but the resolution isn't good as the P+S adapters - but IMHO it have maybe more of a cine feeling and the resolution is good enough! But I will post!
Old December 14th, 2007, 03:58 PM   #9
Major Player

Finally... almost

If you still want to have a look - some clips of my latest project is up at www.hotshot.nu

Posted scenes are still "in progress". The clips are speedgraded, in SD (h.264 720x405), it is not in sync with the score still "in progress". Shot with LetusXL with Alister Chapmans wonderful preset 5296FILM. All slowmos done with overcranks. All shot with Nikkor 85mm.
Old December 15th, 2007, 04:27 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Jonas,

Thank you for posting the footage and Info. Looks Great!

Will we be able to see the completed version?
Benjamin Richardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2007, 12:31 PM   #11
Major Player

Jonas, your footage has a music video, special look, I guess that's what 35 adapter does in addition to CC, what was the F stop on most of the shots?
Oleg Kalyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2007, 05:09 PM   #12
Major Player

The Nikon lens was left wide open all the time. The relay lens about f5.6. I managed the light by ND filters and graded NDs.
Old December 22nd, 2007, 10:03 PM   #13
Major Player

Jonas,
Beautiful work,
You use the H1 color very well too

J
John Benton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2007, 06:42 PM   #14
Major Player

I have a final version if you like to see @ http://www.vimeo.com/album/4472. Vimeo is quite good for sharing - in HD (edit - kind of HD, better then youtube anyway)!

Last edited by Jonas Nystrom; December 25th, 2007 at 06:49 AM.
Old January 8th, 2008, 03:53 PM   #15
Major Player

Host your clip at Vimeo

Probably old news - but at vimeo you have real HD now, and if you log in you have the possibility to download the quicktime files. Great for sharing HD clips in a really easy way!

Final grading from the Almeria production is up at www.vimeo.com/nystrom
Jonas Nystrom is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders