Join my quest for a better viewfinder/lcd at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old January 1st, 2008, 08:53 AM   #1
Major Player

Join my quest for a better viewfinder/lcd

So I have been bugging Canon lately about coming out with a better viewfinder/lcd for the XL-H1. Ideally, they should match or exceed the one that Sony has implemented on the EX 1. Just having a better LCD makes a world of difference in the shooting experience.

Reply if you would buy one if they will make it. I'll stick it to 'em :)
Michael Galvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2008, 09:09 AM   #2
New Boot

I would buy one.
Freddie Hoekerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2008, 09:14 AM   #3
Major Player

I suppose it would also help if you could list any specific features/improvements you would want.
Old January 1st, 2008, 10:02 AM   #4
Inner Circle

You're passing on the FU-1000 pesumably because it's black and white?
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2008, 10:56 AM   #5
Major Player

I would buy one, colour or B/W as long as I can judge focus.
Joachim Hoge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2008, 11:00 AM   #6
Inner Circle

The FU-1000 is a high(er) rez ENG black and white viewfinder. Much sharper than the LCD. It's a CRT too. I use it on my XL2, and my partner in Houston uses it on his XLH-1. That's what the second viewfinder port on the camera body is for.

You can't judge color of course, and it's not optimum for 'stand off' viewing either, if that's your need. But it IS good enough to focus hi-def work.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2008, 11:04 AM   #7
Major Player

What is the price for that viewfinder where you are?
In Norway it´s very expensive (as most everything).
Does it drain a lot of battery power?
Happy new year
Joachim Hoge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2008, 11:18 AM   #8
New Boot

I would definitly buy one. I feel that the color VF is really the only weak link
in what is otherwise, still a very strong HD camera. Buy the way, color is a must for white balance, as well well as judging the use of custom presets.
Al Woodard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2008, 11:42 AM   #9
Major Player

I own a FU-1000 and am not totally delighted with it. When I was shooting betacam sp with an Ikegami HL-V55...that was the same viewfinder on that camera. IT WAS GREAT ! But it's not for HD. Far from it.

I prefer a B/W viewfinder for many reasons...overall exposure...gray levels...etc. Color is wonderful for checking color balance...and that's it.

Bottom line...I don't think Canon will make or release another viewfinder for the H1. I think the H1 is at it's end of production...(just my opinion) and with Sony's EX...and file based camcorders....they won't spend R&D dollars on a camera who's life expectance is maybe another year or so.

NOW...for us that own it....I still love it....and the new Convergent Design Flash drive will REVOLUTIONIZE the workflow of the H1...especially for us who shoot 24F.....but that's for another topic !
Old January 1st, 2008, 04:18 PM   #10
Regular Crew

I would buy it, no doubt. Especially if it was in color.
Benjamin Richardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2008, 04:22 PM   #11
Major Player

Hi Michel,
I would also buy one if it has much better resolution than the previous one. I prefer if it is color and not of the high power consumption CRT-type.

Last edited by Johan Forssblad; January 2nd, 2008 at 03:54 AM.
Johan Forssblad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2008, 03:50 AM   #12
Regular Crew

The current viewfinder is poor, so, yes I would get another one if it was significantly better and preferably in colour.
Paul Doherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2008, 06:41 AM   #13
Major Player

Yes...

As long as it was colour with the option of b&w.
Would have been easier to put up a poll for this?
Dave
Dave Gosley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2008, 07:40 AM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Martorana View Post
Bottom line...I don't think Canon will make or release another viewfinder for the H1. I think the H1 is at it's end of production...(just my opinion) and with Sony's EX...and file based camcorders....they won't spend R&D dollars on a camera who's life expectance is maybe another year or so.

NOW...for us that own it....I still love it....and the new Convergent Design Flash drive will REVOLUTIONIZE the workflow of the H1...especially for us who shoot 24F.....but that's for another topic !
Well the beauty of the XL series is that these accessories are interchangeable (for the most part) between different XL cameras. I would only assume the creation of a new viewfinder/LCD would be no different. It's not like it would specifically be for just the XL-H1. Just like the FU-1000 (which works with every single XL camera so far).

Now the Convergent Design Flash Drive will only add years to the lifespan of this camera, which still has many many years left in it now. It will dramatically improve the qaulity of your footage ... I can't wait to get one for my XL-H1.
Old January 2nd, 2008, 07:47 AM   #15
Major Player

I for one would love to have a mini waveform monitor display on the LCD. Or at least a histogram, like what the Sony cameras have.

Also with using aspect marker guides like 2:35.1, to have the marked off areas slightly dimmed.
Michael Galvan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders