DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Join my quest for a better viewfinder/lcd (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/111336-join-my-quest-better-viewfinder-lcd.html)

Michael Galvan January 1st, 2008 08:53 AM

Join my quest for a better viewfinder/lcd

So I have been bugging Canon lately about coming out with a better viewfinder/lcd for the XL-H1. Ideally, they should match or exceed the one that Sony has implemented on the EX 1. Just having a better LCD makes a world of difference in the shooting experience.

Reply if you would buy one if they will make it. I'll stick it to 'em :)

Freddie Hoekerd January 1st, 2008 09:09 AM

I would buy one.

Michael Galvan January 1st, 2008 09:14 AM

I suppose it would also help if you could list any specific features/improvements you would want.

Richard Alvarez January 1st, 2008 10:02 AM

You're passing on the FU-1000 pesumably because it's black and white?

Joachim Hoge January 1st, 2008 10:56 AM

I would buy one, colour or B/W as long as I can judge focus.

Richard Alvarez January 1st, 2008 11:00 AM

The FU-1000 is a high(er) rez ENG black and white viewfinder. Much sharper than the LCD. It's a CRT too. I use it on my XL2, and my partner in Houston uses it on his XLH-1. That's what the second viewfinder port on the camera body is for.

You can't judge color of course, and it's not optimum for 'stand off' viewing either, if that's your need. But it IS good enough to focus hi-def work.

Joachim Hoge January 1st, 2008 11:04 AM

What is the price for that viewfinder where you are?
In Norway itīs very expensive (as most everything).
Does it drain a lot of battery power?
Happy new year

Al Woodard January 1st, 2008 11:18 AM

I would definitly buy one. I feel that the color VF is really the only weak link
in what is otherwise, still a very strong HD camera. Buy the way, color is a must for white balance, as well well as judging the use of custom presets.

Kevin Martorana January 1st, 2008 11:42 AM

I own a FU-1000 and am not totally delighted with it. When I was shooting betacam sp with an Ikegami HL-V55...that was the same viewfinder on that camera. IT WAS GREAT ! But it's not for HD. Far from it.

I prefer a B/W viewfinder for many reasons...overall exposure...gray levels...etc. Color is wonderful for checking color balance...and that's it.

Bottom line...I don't think Canon will make or release another viewfinder for the H1. I think the H1 is at it's end of production...(just my opinion) and with Sony's EX...and file based camcorders....they won't spend R&D dollars on a camera who's life expectance is maybe another year or so.

NOW...for us that own it....I still love it....and the new Convergent Design Flash drive will REVOLUTIONIZE the workflow of the H1...especially for us who shoot 24F.....but that's for another topic !

Benjamin Richardson January 1st, 2008 04:18 PM

I would buy it, no doubt. Especially if it was in color.

Johan Forssblad January 1st, 2008 04:22 PM

Hi Michel,
I would also buy one if it has much better resolution than the previous one. I prefer if it is color and not of the high power consumption CRT-type.

Paul Doherty January 2nd, 2008 03:50 AM

The current viewfinder is poor, so, yes I would get another one if it was significantly better and preferably in colour.

Dave Gosley January 2nd, 2008 06:41 AM

Yes...

As long as it was colour with the option of b&w.
Would have been easier to put up a poll for this?
Dave

Michael Galvan January 2nd, 2008 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Martorana (Post 800818)
Bottom line...I don't think Canon will make or release another viewfinder for the H1. I think the H1 is at it's end of production...(just my opinion) and with Sony's EX...and file based camcorders....they won't spend R&D dollars on a camera who's life expectance is maybe another year or so.

NOW...for us that own it....I still love it....and the new Convergent Design Flash drive will REVOLUTIONIZE the workflow of the H1...especially for us who shoot 24F.....but that's for another topic !

Well the beauty of the XL series is that these accessories are interchangeable (for the most part) between different XL cameras. I would only assume the creation of a new viewfinder/LCD would be no different. It's not like it would specifically be for just the XL-H1. Just like the FU-1000 (which works with every single XL camera so far).

Now the Convergent Design Flash Drive will only add years to the lifespan of this camera, which still has many many years left in it now. It will dramatically improve the qaulity of your footage ... I can't wait to get one for my XL-H1.

Michael Galvan January 2nd, 2008 07:47 AM

I for one would love to have a mini waveform monitor display on the LCD. Or at least a histogram, like what the Sony cameras have.

Also with using aspect marker guides like 2:35.1, to have the marked off areas slightly dimmed.