DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Help with DM-50 audio? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/112288-help-dm-50-audio.html)

Anthony Schneider January 13th, 2008 01:51 PM

Help with DM-50 audio?

Hey all, I recently purchased the Canon DM-50 directional stereo microphone and I am having some problems getting it to work. The audio aspect of the camera is not one of my strong points, and I've tried everything I could think of to make it work. I connect it to the "shoe" on the top of the camera, and then tried to switch all the audio buttons to the shoe and turn them all on. After all this I'm still not picking up any audio levels on the screen while recording. I don't think this is right because I'm pretty sure the microphone should be compatible and I should be picking up audio. I am hoping that someone on here uses the same microphone and can help me out. I just need to know what all the audio settings need to be in order for this mic to pick up audio.

Thanks again,
Anthony

Per Johan Naesje January 13th, 2008 02:40 PM

Anthony,
I'm not sure about if the DM-50 will work at all on the H1!

The manual dosn't mention it, only the MA-300 Microphone adapter. Anyway, you may try it out by toggle the audio to track 3-4 which I think the accessory shoe use (according to the wire diagram in the manual). Use the Audio monitor button down left for the power dial wheel to toggle between the audio tracks.

Anthony Schneider January 13th, 2008 10:49 PM

The DM-50 is listed on the Canon website as an accessory to the XL H1. So I'm pretty sure it's compatible unless Canon made a mistake or something... I'm not positive though and that would suck if it's not!

Per Johan Naesje January 14th, 2008 12:37 AM

Did you try to toggle the audio to tracks 3-4?

Anthony Schneider January 15th, 2008 12:24 AM

Per-

I've tried to switch the audio on the channels like you said, but still nothing. And also, I do not see a "channel 3 or 4" switch on the camera... It seems like it should work, but I still see no sign of the camera receiving any audio input. And I can't seem to get the "audio monitor" button to do anything either. I am almost positive that the DM-50 should work, I can't find any reason for it not to, I just do not know how to use it! Which is a big problem! Anyway, maybe I will have to call someone or something unless someone else on the site can help me...

Thanks Per,

Anthony

Tony Davies-Patrick January 15th, 2008 05:45 AM

Anthony, you need to not only set the correct audio channels on the side of the H1, but also change the Audio in the main internal Menu settings.

Anthony Schneider January 15th, 2008 11:07 AM

Tony-

Do you know which settings those would be? I just went in to the menu and once again could not find the correct setting. It seems like I am getting so close but I just can't seem to get the right setting!

Is there anyone on the board that actually uses this microphone??

-Anthony

Per Johan Naesje January 15th, 2008 03:22 PM

Anthony,
push Menu-button, then Audio setup, then Audio mode, choose 4CH and you done.
Then audio monitor button to swap between ch1-2 and ch3-4.
But as I have said can't give you any guarantee for the DM-50 to work though!

Anthony Schneider January 20th, 2008 05:23 PM

Per-

I've tried everything. I'm gonna try and call Canon Tech support, but obviously I can't find their number. I am positive the microphone works with the camera, I'm just doing something wrong. Thanks for your help anyway.

Chris Hurd January 20th, 2008 05:49 PM

Follow these instructions step by step.

1. Menu > Audio Setup > Audio Mode: 4CH

3. Menu > Display Setup > Audio Level > On

4. Insure that the DM-50 is firmly connected to the Advanced Accessory Shoe.

5. At audio control panel: Set "Audio2" input select switch to Shoe.

6. At audio control panel: Set "Audio2" rec level switch to Auto.

7. Connect headphones. Set the headphones volume dial at midway.

8. Press the Audio Monitor button a couple of times until "Ch 3 4" is displayed at the Audio Level indicator area of the viewfinder.

9. Snap fingers in front of the DM-50. You should hear the sound in the headphones and see the levels displayed in the audio levels meter in the EVF.

Peter Ralph January 21st, 2008 12:47 PM

would there be any advantage to using the dm-50 over the stock xlh1 mic? I can't imagine the quality would be as good.

Chris Hurd January 21st, 2008 01:36 PM

I don't know why you'd want two stereo mics on top of the camera (the stock onboard mic and the DM-50). The only situation I can think of for using the DM-50 on an XL H1 is when you don't want the EVF on the camera but still need to take audio... on a SteadiCam for instance.

Peter Ralph January 21st, 2008 02:43 PM

good point Chris - but even then a $10 shoe/mic adapter and you're good to go with the better quality stock mic.

Chris Hurd January 21st, 2008 02:47 PM

The DM-50 would save weight and provide a reference
audio which wouldn't necessarily be used in the final mix.