Recording direct to Laptop at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old January 16th, 2008, 03:33 AM   #1
New Boot

Recording direct to Laptop

I've just bought the XL H1 and still getting to know it. I have connected to my laptop via Firewire. If I capture the camera firewire output directly to the Canopus HQ codec in Edius, does this grab the clip at 4.2.2 as opposed to 4.2.0 as it would coming off the tape?
Bill Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2008, 07:53 AM   #2
Trustee

No it does not.
David W. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2008, 08:30 AM   #3
New Boot

Thanks, David. Is there ANY benefit to doing this or is it the same as recording to tape then capturing it from the tape?
Old January 16th, 2008, 10:31 AM   #4
New Boot

We just ordered the Canon Xl-H1 as well, how do you like it so far?

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...914#post808914

this thread might help you, Im trying to do the same thing, You need a device that captures from the HD-SDI port on the XL-H!

The benefit would be better lattitude with color correction and cleaner chromakeying.
Vince DAmbrosio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2008, 10:55 AM   #5
New Boot

Hi, Vince,

I've previously owned and XL 1S so no great learning curve re where all the buttons are, but I've not been able to shoot anything yet since the weather's been atrocious since I got the camera on Monday. The image quality I'm seeing sitting at home and pointing it at the furniture suggests that I'm not going to be disappointed.

I'm aware of all the benefits of HD-SDI capture and editing. The reason I asked the question was that Adobe On Location does not seem to work with the camera and I experiement by running it into Eduis via the firewire and using it as a field monitor, which works OK, apart from the time lag, and gives a good aid to framing and focus. I think I read somewhere that the firewire output was 4.2.0 but wasn't sure, so asked the question. It's not a priority to have 4.2.2 at the moment, but I just wondered if capturing live had any tangible benefits.
Old January 16th, 2008, 09:17 PM   #6
Major Player

Before judging the image captured with the "as-is" camera settings, download some CP (Camera Presets) and set them as the shooting mode.

Or play with the adjustments yourself .... the camera setup that comes as purchased are rather flat - but you will be amazed once you start using CP settings such as the Djecta.

I would suggest running thru the many posts here regarding CP settings BEFORE making a judgement on the image look.....

The looks and images from this H1 are simply beautiful.
John Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2008, 11:47 PM   #7
Major Player

OnLocation will work with XL H1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Graham View Post
The reason I asked the question was that Adobe On Location does not seem to work with the camera
I have used OnLocation to capture from the Canon XL H1. If the laptop lacks speed you may need to close some of the OnLocation features, but I had no problems capturing from the XL H1.

Best,
Christopher
Christopher Glaeser is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders