DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Green screen for Disney with XL-H1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/115051-green-screen-disney-xl-h1.html)

Annika Olsen February 17th, 2008 12:12 PM

Green screen for Disney with XL-H1

Thought I would share some work we recently did for Disney and the Muppets. We were hired to shoot original footage for the new Muppets web site (www.muppets.com) All footage was shot with the XLH1 against a green screen. We were really happy with the keys, especially since the Muppets have feathers, fur, etc. There are many video clips to look at, you have to click around.

All footage was shot at 24F with the 6X wide angle lens. We used Shake to drop the green screen. All of the finished footage was then encoded to Flash for the site.

Floris van Eck February 17th, 2008 01:34 PM

Annika, thanks for sharing with us!

Did you record to tape or did you record through the HD-SDI out of the camera (RAW)? Did you use the camera in default settings or have you created a custom preset for this particular task? I am eager to find out!

Annika Olsen February 17th, 2008 10:23 PM

We shot with two XLH1's, each with Matte Boxes and Follow Focus. There was a focus puller working with each camera operator. We had some good Marshall 7" HD monitors mounted on the cameras, we used the HD-SDI output from the H1 for the monitors and we recorded HDV using Sony Digital Master tapes.

As far as presets; we set each camera to the Panavision preset that I found here on the DVinfo site. We edited in Final Cut and used the "Color" application for color correction. Disney wanted the colors to "pop" especially the green in Kermit.

John Stakes February 17th, 2008 11:16 PM

congrats! I would love to work with Disney, did you find them or did they find you?

Please post your website, I would like to see more of your work.

Jason Bowers February 17th, 2008 11:51 PM

Hi Annika,
Congratulations, that looks like it must have been so much fun to do. Would love to know how you landed the job, with a back story though.

Jacques Mersereau February 21st, 2008 10:06 AM

Could you possibly post the direct url to the download. I was redirected to the main sight and don't have the time to navigate to the footage you speak about.

Thanks!

Dave Gosley February 22nd, 2008 03:11 AM

Access Denied!

Hi Annika
Please place a link to some footage outside the muppet web site - as the muppets in control won't allow access to the muppet site from outside the USA.
Thanks
Dave

Floris van Eck February 22nd, 2008 05:22 PM

Dave, typ "proxy" in google.com go to the first result and enter the muppets url there. That way, you can view the site from outside the USA.

I don't know why someone keeps deleting this as there is nothing illegal about using such a site. So I hope you will be able to read this.

David Aronson February 26th, 2008 08:12 PM

was it blue or green?

Dave Gosley February 27th, 2008 03:12 AM

Thanks Floris
Never used such before and it did getme there after the fifth attemp.
Amusing that once at the disney home page I could not find anything about muppets - but thanks for the lesson on proxies, might come in handy in the future.

Floris van Eck February 27th, 2008 06:45 AM

Dave, there is a link there to the muppets. One of the icons in the navigational picture. They are there, I needed to look a little bit better too!

David Aronson March 21st, 2008 09:06 PM

was it bluescreen or greenscreen because i am looking to do a kids puppet show for my public access network and a lot of work is on "cartoon land" and need to get a good key?