DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Fu-1000 and H1 using AC power? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/119046-fu-1000-h1-using-ac-power.html)

Marty Hudzik April 10th, 2008 09:50 AM

Fu-1000 and H1 using AC power?

I have searched the forum high and low and read every thread I can find regarding this and I can't find a clear cut answer.

I am about to buy the Fu1000 for use with my H1 and will need to run it off of AC power at times. Originally Canon did not recommend this with the XL1 or XL1s as the ac poiwer adapter couldn't supply enought current or something. Any ideas if there is a limitation with the H1? There will be times where I am doing interviews and the camera will be sitting on a tripod for hours on end and I'd prefer to have it plugged into the wall instead of running on batteries.

If someone can clearly answer this quickly I would appreciate it as it will factor into my ultimate decision.

Thanks

Gabriel Berube April 10th, 2008 11:23 AM

I've read in my XL2 manual that you can use the FU-1000 without the battery adapter with no probs, so it would probably work as well on the XL-H1 since it's more recent.

Look it up in your H1 manual, it must be in there somewhere.

Marty Hudzik April 10th, 2008 11:44 AM

I think you are misunderstanding. The H1 will accept the fu1000 using the special EVF terminal on the body of the camera, just like the XL2. So no need for the battery adapter. However....originally it was stated that the Fu1000 required that you run your XL1 on the batteries and not off of the AC adapter that powers the camera. There was insufficient voltage or current in that unit so it was a "battery-only" device. You could not run it using AC power to the camera.

I am asking if this has changed with the XL2 and H1 as I would desire to run my camera off of AC power while using the FU1000.

Make more sense or am I just babbling?

Thanks.

Greg Boston April 10th, 2008 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marty Hudzik (Post 857714)
I think you are misunderstanding. The H1 will accept the fu1000 using the special EVF terminal on the body of the camera, just like the XL2. So no need for the battery adapter. However....originally it was stated that the Fu1000 required that you run your XL1 on the batteries and not off of the AC adapter that powers the camera. There was insufficient voltage or current in that unit so it was a "battery-only" device. You could not run it using AC power to the camera.

I am asking if this has changed with the XL2 and H1 as I would desire to run my camera off of AC power while using the FU1000.

Make more sense or am I just babbling?

Thanks.

Yes, that changed, starting with the XL2. With the built in support for running the VF without the tray adapter, the issue was resolved. It was the tray adapter that needed the additional voltage to properly power the VF.

I ran the FU1000 on my XL2 from AC on a number of occasions without issue.

-gb-

Marty Hudzik April 10th, 2008 11:56 AM

I just found it in the H1 manual so it appears that what Gabriel said was accurate. It mentions specifically that you can power it from the CA920/CB920.

Thanks. This helps a lot.

Gabriel Berube April 10th, 2008 12:05 PM

Haha, no you're making sense, I just read too quickly and didn't see you were talking specifically about the AC adapter :-)

I'm sorry I can't help you with that Marty, better wait for someone who's used the FU-1000 with AC adapter on.

I'm fairly sure Canon would've mentioned it in its manuals if there was any problems with going AC only though. They probably solved the XL1/XL1s power adapter problem when they designed the XL2, since we XL users want our accessories to stay compatible and problems-free with newer XL bodies.

*edit* hehehe, seems like I took too much time writing that last one :-)