XL H1 or Sony HVR-Z7E at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old April 19th, 2008, 02:49 AM   #1
New Boot

XL H1 or Sony HVR-Z7E

Hi everyone I am considering purchasing my third camera, I currently own a canon XH A1 and a Sony PD 150.

Right now I am looking at the two options XL H1 or Sony HVR-Z7E. I am digging around for info own both these cameras. Anybody out there who has used these cameras can you tell me the pros and cons.

Thank you for your help guys.
Jamil Anait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2008, 07:14 PM   #2
Major Player

I too am considering one of these cams to supplement my XHA1.

Was also seriously looking into the Z7U, but there are reports on this site of focusing and CF recording issues, sounds like it may not be reliable for event use. That's a shame because it negates, to a large extent, the other cool features of the Sony.
I am not sure if these same issues are present in the S270U, although I would hope not.

The current XLH1 does not, as far as I have heard, have any such focusing or other lense issues, so it may be the more reliable cam. Personally, I am leaning more towards just getting a second Canon, either the XLH1 or XHA1. They are still great little cams. I think I would trust them more than the Sony Z7U at this point.

Last edited by Steve Wolla; April 20th, 2008 at 07:17 PM. Reason: Added info
Steve Wolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2008, 09:04 PM   #3
Major Player

It really depends on what you are planning on using the camera for. The fact that ths Z7 has tape AND card record makes it a much better deal imho.

I want fast transfer to NLE & cheap archive. Z7 is the only camera that comes standard w/ that. Otherwise you have to buy some third party hard drive & camera mount.

If you can wait a few months & don't need the jack pack then get the XL-H1a. Same cost as Z7, plus it will play better w/ your XH-A1 (according to Canon @ NAB) b/c it has the same 'guts' & you can match the two camera settings perfectly w/ a quick swipe of a memory card.

Also, the new Canons ship w/ a 20x lens, compared to the Sony 12x lens. This could be a deal breaker for some, but w/ the Sony using a more standard lens mount, it will be easier to find other lenses to use.

I know there are people having trouble w/ the Sony lens, but I couldn't reproduce the problem at NAB w/ their cameras on display, so I think it is a random issue & if you get a camera w/ a bad lens, it will be under warranty & easy to exchange.

Also the CF card issue seems to be happening when people use cheaper CF cards. All I can say to that is if you have $6k to spend on a camera & $.06 to spend on the extras, you should be buying a cheaper camera. It takes a LOT more power to record video than it does to record still pics. So a card that works 'fine' in a DSLR could easily have trouble in a HD video camera.
Zach Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2008, 01:27 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I'm a current Sony HC1 owner looking to upgrade, but the cameras being discussed in this thread are a bit out of my price range. However, something did catch my eye as I read through this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Love View Post
If you can wait a few months & don't need the jack pack then get the XL-H1a. Same cost as Z7, plus it will play better w/ your XH-A1 (according to Canon @ NAB) b/c it has the same 'guts' & you can match the two camera settings perfectly w/ a quick swipe of a memory card.
So using a memory card to remember settings, you can sync the XH-A1 to a XL-H1?

I'm interested in being able to take advantage of having two nice cameras (the next camera I'm thinking to get will be the XH-A1). But I know there's a lot involved with being able to record with two cameras on the same shoot if they are different. This seems pretty cool though. It might not be something I can do with my next purchase (because I will have an XH-A1 and a HC1), but the purchase after that maybe.
Old April 24th, 2008, 01:29 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shahryar Rizvi View Post
I'm a current Sony HC1 owner looking to upgrade, but the cameras being discussed in this thread are a bit out of my price range. However, something did catch my eye as I read through this:

So using a memory card to remember settings, you can sync the XH-A1 to a XL-H1?

I'm interested in being able to take advantage of having two nice cameras (the next camera I'm thinking to get will be the XH-A1). But I know there's a lot involved with being able to record with two cameras on the same shoot if they are different. This seems pretty cool though. It might not be something I can do with my next purchase (because I will have an XH-A1 and a HC1), but the purchase after that maybe.
No I think he means that if the original poster would go for the new Canon, he would have no problem matching it with the Canon XH A1 he already has.
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2008, 12:45 AM   #6
Major Player

You cannot sync XL-H1 and XH-A1/G1 custom profiles. You can clone them with a tool to get almost the same look out of both cameras.
Floris van Eck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2008, 07:18 AM   #7
Regular Crew

hmm.. ok, I think I get it. Thanks for the responses guys.
Old April 25th, 2008, 03:49 PM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floris van Eck View Post
You cannot sync XL-H1 and XH-A1/G1 custom profiles. You can clone them with a tool to get almost the same look out of both cameras.
Floris,
Do you know where to download this tool?

Thanks
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2008, 04:05 PM   #9
Contributor

I haven't seen the Z7 but like what I read about it. I also like what I read about the new Canon upgrades. I have an XH A1 and am quite happy with it. The only advantage I can see to the Sony over the new similarly priced Canon is that the Sony's 24p footage would, presumably, play back on any Sony HDV deck. This would be important if you're in a production studio. Not so important if you shoot for yourself and edit your own footage.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2008, 03:13 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Hudzik View Post
Floris,
Do you know where to download this tool?

Thanks
As given by Chris Hurd in the thread: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=120214

The tool: http://www.felixtheissen.com/apps/We...and%20win.html
Dave Gosley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2008, 07:12 AM   #11
Major Player

I am using the Sony Z7E (Pal version) and so far I am very pleased !!
I know there are some serious probles with the stock lens as you can read on the Sony Z7 forum, however, I mostly use it with a Nikon 80-200 f2.8 still lens and it works like a dream. Focusing is easy with the 'Peaking' function and high resolution LCD and viewfinder. Exposure control can't be easier with a histogram displayed on the LCD and viewfinder. It records 1080i 25p to both tape and CF cards.
I have no experience with other cameras and I am very new to this business so this should be kept in mind.
Ofer Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2008, 08:40 AM   #12
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathieu Ghekiere View Post
...the new Canon, he would have no problem matching it with the Canon XH A1 he already has.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floris van Eck View Post
You cannot sync XL-H1 and XH-A1/G1 custom profiles.
Mathieu clearly referred to the *new* cameras, the XL H1S and H1A, and he is quite right -- yes you certainly can sync their custom presets to the XH G1 and A1.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2008, 08:43 AM   #13
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shahryar Rizvi View Post
...using a memory card to remember settings, you can sync the XH-A1 to a XL-H1?
The XL H1 has been replaced... see the following post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Love View Post
Zach is absolutely right. The XL H1A would be a perfect match to the XH A1 and yes you can share custom presets between them.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders