Green screen preset ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old April 21st, 2008, 09:40 AM   #1
Major Player

Green screen preset ?

I just sold my XL2 and am anxiously awaiting the arrival of my XL H1. I have a green screen shoot to do in a couple of weeks. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a Chroma Key preset or perhaps just some tips. I've been reading over the manual for the HL H1. It sure is a lot more involved than the XL2.

I will be shooting in DV not via SDI.

A preset of some type would sure come in handy.

Thanks
Old April 21st, 2008, 12:00 PM   #2
Trustee

Hey Tim I've had good luck with my DSC presets they seem to give the most natural color. I would (if I were you) make sure I have some minus green gel on hand for an edge light and, you know, an evenly lit green screen. THis si the way i've done it for my past 5 and have had excellent results.
Old April 21st, 2008, 05:51 PM   #3
Major Player

Nick-

Thanks... I'll check it out. I really appreciate the feedback!

Tim
Old April 21st, 2008, 07:44 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Tim;
Use even light on the green screen and keep it 1/2 stop under your foreground. I have had excellent results with my XL-H1. We shoot green screen all the time.
Barry
Old April 21st, 2008, 11:21 PM   #5
Major Player

I suggest turning sharpening down to -9 (if you don't have it there already) for HDV recording. That will cut down on compression, sharpening, and keying artifacts.
Daniel Browning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2008, 05:23 AM   #6
Major Player

Thanks again! This is all very helpful.

Nick, where do I find the DSC preset?
Old April 22nd, 2008, 09:17 AM   #7
Trustee

Tim, you'll find Nick's preset here:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showpost....8&postcount=66
Old April 22nd, 2008, 10:27 AM   #8
Major Player

Thanks again!

What exactly was this preset created for?

Tim
Old April 22nd, 2008, 02:28 PM   #9
Trustee

The preset was created as a request, it's intended to maximize the accuracy in color so that someone could have the most versatility in post. It's not so much of a "look" as it is a really good starting point (after white balance of course)

I hope they work out well for you, please note that the 60i and 24f are different!
Old April 22nd, 2008, 02:49 PM   #10
Major Player

Nick-

Thanks again!

In which way do 60i and 24f differ than the XL2? Also... would you recommend 60i or 24f for green screen?
Old April 22nd, 2008, 04:58 PM   #11
Trustee

Don't have an XL2 so I'm not sure, I know there is a slight red shift (I think) between the 60i and the 24f. If it's solely a green screen thing I believe that 60i yields a sharper moving image, but I think 24f looks better.

(sorry I can't be of more help, more or less I'd say it's pretty much an aesthetic choice)
Old April 22nd, 2008, 05:07 PM   #12
Major Player

I am working on a spoof of American Idol. The actors are all in some pretty colorful costumes. I really want to give it the look and feel of American Idol. I was thinking anything 24P/F would give it a more cinematic look. Perhaps I should shoot 60i for more of a video look. However, if the chroma keying is going to work best in 24f I may go that way.

I will be getting my XL H1 before the end of the week. I don't even have the camera yet and I feel overwhelmed.

Thanks again!
Old April 23rd, 2008, 08:45 AM   #13
Trustee

if you're spoofing american idol (or just about anything in reality TV) I would say go with the 60i I don't think that the 24f or 60i is inherently better or worse for green screen. The other plus in this case is if you decide you want a progressive look you can deinterlace in post.
Old April 23rd, 2008, 08:48 AM   #14
Major Player

Thanks again Nick! When the project is complete I'll post a link from this post with my final settings.
Old April 23rd, 2008, 12:09 PM   #15
Trustee

No problem Tim, enjoy your new camera!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders