DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Custom Preset? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/120214-custom-preset.html)

Ron Stoecklein April 24th, 2008 01:32 PM

Custom Preset?

Okay I am an XL2 user and only recently(this week an XL H1 user)--custom presets were only 3 and you could pull the preset up and edit it --with the .cpf files of the XL H1- I loaded custom presets okay onto the card and then into the cam--but how do you create or edit presets outside of the cam itself on the computer--and I'm guessing its a windows only platform?

thanks for any help on the subject!

Ron

Ron Stoecklein April 25th, 2008 08:49 AM

Presets

Geez seem to be asking a question that either no one can answer or its so remedial that no one wants to bother--

So this is my assumption I either buy CONSOLE from Canon--where I am guessing that I could create custom presets or I can simply create my preset in the camera and when I have created more that 6 take it from my Cameras 6 Presets and load it to my SD card.

If there is a simpler way however I'd sure like to know. (I did see a post somewhere whereby someone had created a standalone software for creating custom .cpf presets--tried it--it worked fine except that the presets show as an error on the cam.)

My thoughts are to work on some of my own presets for surfing conditions--all of which are a bit different--low light am, mid day, mid day cloudy-no sun, and late afternoon backlit--plus on the beach interviews with surfers......

....or do you think I'd be better off to use one preset--and then white balance for the different conditions (which I would do anyhow).

If anyone has any thoughts as to which settings might be most useful to "tweak" input would be most appreciated.

Thanks
Ron

Robert Morane April 25th, 2008 09:07 AM

Can the look of any preset be created in post using Color? And if so , isn't better to shoot without any preset and work your shootage in optimal condition (post)?

Chris Hurd April 25th, 2008 09:07 AM

Hi Ron,

Download and install the XL H1 Custom presets tuner for Windows or Mac from Felix Theissen.
Tuner software discussion thread here. Sorry I didn't see this earlier.

Ron Stoecklein April 25th, 2008 10:03 AM

Presets

Thanks for the reply Chris.

I actually had found Felix's software for the mac and downloaded--created some presets--loaded it to my PRESET folder on the SD card--the presets are there but show an err-message--when opeing them on the menu preset tuner on the cam--

Any thoughts on what might be the problem?

thanks for your help

Ron

Ron Stoecklein April 25th, 2008 10:16 AM

Robert-presets

Hi Robert--

I can only give you my take on your reply---I guess if you shot with the factory preset--and just looked at all footage as being raw--and thus assume that almost all footage would have to be corrected in post that would be one way to look at it.

I know from footage that I have shot for a surf documentary in El Salvador I always use a Custom preset that was on the XL2 DVinfo.net site and I tweaked a bit--I "almost" never have to do any correction in post.

I guess it would also depend on what you were filming.

Just my thoughts!

Ron

Robert Morane April 25th, 2008 10:55 AM

Thank you Ron. Basically what I am shooting is 80% interviews.

Felix Theissen April 29th, 2008 03:36 AM

Hi, Ron it would be great if you could send me two similar presets - one created with the editor outside the camera and one created inside the camera, then i could look what could cause the problem that you get an error message. (I don´t own the Canon XH-A1 anymore and i don´t own the XLH1, i went with HV20). The editor won´t work for presets of the XL2.

Regards - Felix

P.S. forgot to say, my email address is on the website where you downloaded the application right above the download links.

Felix Theissen April 29th, 2008 03:52 AM

Oh, and there are two editors for download - the XH Editor for the XH-A1/G1 and the XLH1 editor for the XLH1. Presets created with the wrong editor won´t work in the camera.

Regards - Felix

Ron Stoecklein April 29th, 2008 07:44 PM

Presets-Thanks Felix

Thanks for your reply--per your advice--i think I'll try going back and downloading the software again--possibly I downloaded the wrong one.

Love the simplicity and the fact that it works on a mac.

Ron

Ron Stoecklein April 29th, 2008 09:01 PM

Software works

Thanks Felix--I must have downloaded wrong software the first time around--just tried it and no problems!!

Thanks Ron

Felix Theissen April 30th, 2008 06:36 PM

Glad to hear it works, Ron. There is one feature in this editor, which is not so obvious. If you have the editor for the XLH1 you can open a preset for the XHA1/G1 and it will automatically converted fot the XLH1 (you have to save it then with a new name, then the original will be untouched). The same with the XH Editor - it can open and convert presets from XLH1 and convert them for the XHA1/G1.

Felix