DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Cashback promotion but no stock? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/123089-cashback-promotion-but-no-stock.html)

Luc De Wandel June 5th, 2008 02:20 AM

Cashback promotion but no stock?

I discovered a strange marketing habit today, regarding the XL-H1a and 's. Canon is promoting these two new camera's in Belgium and Holland (and probably also elsewhere in Europe) with an interesting cashback deal of 500 euro's. The promotion is running from june 1st to july 31st. But... there are no camera's in stock anywhere. I called several shops and they can't even tell me WHEN the cams will arrive. I've been a marketing manager for over 15 years, and I would have fired the guy who started such an important promotion without any stock present. It's detrimental for the company's image.
Anyway, I've decided to sell my XH-A1 in favour of the XL-H1a (BTW, thanks for pointing out it's existance, Chris), but it appears that I'll have to hold my horses... and hope the cashback will last until there is stock.

Mat Thompson June 7th, 2008 06:50 AM

Hi Luc.

Sounds like a awkward situation. Have you been told the selling price on the H1A then?

Cheers
Mat

George Kroonder June 7th, 2008 08:19 AM

I believe list is € 5.750, about the same an EX1 would set you back ;-)

Anyway, CVP in the UK has it listen for just over € 4.000 (no cash back when you buy in the UK). It is official Canon Europe stock though.

It is not uncommon for new camera's to be not in stock straight away. The H1A is releaed june-'08, so some delay is expected this early on.

It is not uncommon to run promo's at the introduction and for those promo's to be extended a few times. But who knows.

I believe a 2 week lead time should do it at this time. Any good reseller will venture a call to their distributor who should have clear delivery dates.

George/

P.S. To qualify for the Dutch and German Canon Cash Back you can buy your camera (from an official reseller) in any of these countries: Andorra, Channel Islands, Denmark, Finland, Gemany, Ireland, Italy, Luxemburg, Nederland, Norway, Portugal, San Marino, Spain, Sweden, Switserland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary. Conditions are though that you buy from the listed countries and as long as you are an "EEA" resident (EU + some of the non-EU countries above) you qualify... Notice some (EU) countries missing here.

However the seperate FAQ for Belgium only lists "Belgium, Poland, Austria and France", but with the same EEA conditions.

Not the best communicated promo.

Michel Barbuto June 8th, 2008 10:47 AM

Hi Luc De Wandel
I also try to find one ( and an extra XHA1 ) here in Belgium. If you find one, let me know.
Anyway, the french border is not so far....
Michel