Canon 24F and FCP 6.0.3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old June 12th, 2008, 10:52 AM   #1
Trustee

Canon 24F and FCP 6.0.3

Okay, I might have screwed up. Last week I used Final Cut Pro 5.14 and hooked up my Canon H1 via firewire. I shot some footage in 24F mode and everything seemed to work fine. FCP saw and controlled the H1 and I was able to digitize this 24F HDV footage.

I thought I had read that FCP 6 supported Canon's 24F, so I upgraded to 6.0.2 and the 6.0.3.
What I now find is that FCP does NOT see the camera, although the H1 once plugged into a 4-6 pin FW cable has HDV/DV IN appear in the viewfinder. I think this means it see FCP.

I have tried every setting I can think of and looked everywhere, but I cannot find any format other than 1080P 24fps HDV. Well, it seems that FCP cannot see the 24P device.

I boot up iMovie 08 and it has NO problem seeing the H1 and digitizing the footage
(I think it does this in Apples intermediate codec, but is that actually 24F (or 24P)?
It is very annoying that iMovie, a consumer program, works and FCP 6.0.3 does NOT.

What am I missing? I would be very appreciate if any kindly soul who has been through this and solved it could help me out.

TIA,

jacques
Old June 13th, 2008, 07:58 PM   #2
Trustee

In my experience FCP acts a little strange when dealing with HDV and DV through firewire, It needs to be in the proper settings before it recognizes the HDV signal or the DV signal over firewire. If FCP isn't in the proper mode it doesn't seem to switch to the proper one automatically. Add this to the Canon also having settings and you can spend a lot of time switching things back and forth trying to get them to work HTH
Daniel Epstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2008, 06:49 AM   #3
Trustee

Yeah, you're right.
Through the process of elimination I finally got it all the FCP and H1 settings
correctly 'toggled' and I now have Final Cut working with the H1 using 24P (24F).
I also found out that you cannot monitor FCP's HDV output/timeline except via
a computer monitor- the camera does not act as it might using DV
signal.

Aloha,

Jacques

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders