Rear mount for wireless receivers? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old June 15th, 2008, 09:06 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Rear mount for wireless receivers?

I want to use my XL-H1 with two wireless mic systems, but I can't figure out how to mount the receivers on the camera.

Does anyone make a bracket that attaches to the rear of the camera that I can tape or mount the receivers to? I use Sennheiser and Samson systems. Each receiver is the size of a deck of cards, with a 20" pigtail to the male XLR plug.

On my XL-1 I was able to tape the receivers to the rubber shoulder pad (I will be using the set up on a tripod), but I can't use the rubber pad on the H1.

I have a shoot this Friday, so I need a quick solution.

Thanks.
Bob Prichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2008, 09:14 AM   #2
Major Player

Hi Bob,

Did your camera come with the accessory/battery bracket? I have one with my XL2 and I attached my Sennheiser G2 receiver to that. I would think you could fit a pair of them on there somehow. I put a screw in one of the screw holes partially, so that the wire belt clip on the receiver slips over it and won't fall off even with the camera upside down (hey you never know when the creative bug will bite!)

Hope this helps..

Also, if you can't fit both on there, perhaps you have a hot shoe adapter for the receiver? Then you can put one up there and one on the back. ;)

Eric
Eric Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2008, 09:28 AM   #3
Regular Crew

H1 does not come with accessory bracket

Eric,

The H1 does not come with an accessory bracket.

What is a 'hot shoe adapter for the receiver'?
Old June 15th, 2008, 09:38 AM   #4
Major Player

On the Sennheisers, there's a little plastic square that can attach to the back, then that slides into the hot shoe mount on top of the camera. Where you would mount a light or something else. This location: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_shoe

You can order the bracket from Canon or a dealer, it seems to me it's a $20 or $30 item. If you need it by friday, that's cutting it kinda close. Could you just clip the receivers to your belt and then twist-tie or zip-tie the 2 cables together and run them to the camera? Or put them on a shoulder strap of some sort if you don't have long enough cables?

Eric
Old June 15th, 2008, 10:01 AM   #5
New Boot

Elipz

Anton Bauer has the Hubz and spoke system that attaches under your camera and to tripod. you can arrange the spoke on either side of the camera and attach your receiver. it's light so you really can't feel a difference in total weight. great on tripod but might be a little distracting going handheld although i have no probalem using it that way.
Old June 15th, 2008, 10:06 AM   #6
Major Player

That sounds cool, though it sounds like it spreads out a bit and might be wobbly?

Eric
Old June 15th, 2008, 10:06 AM   #7
Trustee

Hi Bob, did you buy your H1 new? Mine came with an accessory bracket (or at the very least I have one and it works on the camera, you could maybe call canon and see if they have one for purchase. (just be prepared to pay a lot of money!)
Old June 15th, 2008, 11:07 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hiltgen View Post
Hi Bob, did you buy your H1 new? Mine came with an accessory bracket (or at the very least I have one and it works on the camera, you could maybe call canon and see if they have one for purchase. (just be prepared to pay a lot of money!)
my H1 came with a bracket as well.
Old June 15th, 2008, 11:45 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Found the bracket

Thanks, guys, I looked through my parts bin and found that I had put the bracket in there when I bought the camera. I pulled it out and it fits perfectly on the back of the camera, and now I have a place to tape the receivers.

Thanks again.
Old June 15th, 2008, 11:50 AM   #10
Major Player

Phew, and 5 days ahead of schedule! ;)

Eric
Old June 15th, 2008, 12:18 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Prichard View Post
Thanks, guys, I looked through my parts bin and found that I had put the bracket in there when I bought the camera. I pulled it out and it fits perfectly on the back of the camera, and now I have a place to tape the receivers.

Thanks again.
no problem...hope you found the screws too...they're not an easy size to find.
Old June 16th, 2008, 04:00 PM   #12
Trustee

I have the screws, but not the bracket, so if anyone has a spare bracket that they don't use, please let me know (I've tried ordering one from Canon and also from major Canon retail shops, but after a week of trying I gave up, and now use velcro to attach my Sony radio mics).
Old June 16th, 2008, 06:13 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Hi Tony, there is a photo of a mount that I made, in the link below,
it’s only a proto and would need to be wider between slots for two receivers,
I’ve made a few twin receiver mounts for the Sony Z1 front mounted

http://web.mac.com/wildlifeonline/Site_2/XL_Mount.html
Old June 18th, 2008, 07:24 AM   #14
Trustee

I was in the market for the H1 bracket a few years ago and ZGC could get me one for $79-$89 dollars or so, which seemed steep. Not ZGC's fault mind you, just a reminder that Canon charges a lot for replacement parts for their video gear. Especially since this piece is essentially just bent sheet metal!

Good Luck. Hang on to it since you found it.
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders