DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Just ordered the XLH1a (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/127930-just-ordered-xlh1a.html)

Jean-Philippe Archibald August 12th, 2008 05:21 PM

Just ordered the XLH1a

Just got a gig for an advertising campain to do in HD so I ordered this camera. Should have it by thursday. I will post my firsts impressions here. I am coming from the XL1, XL2, and have skipped the first XLH1.

I have ordered it from one of the biggest photo video stores in Montreal at an unbeatable price. Email me if you need more informations. (I think it's against the forum rules to post a non-sponsor store here).

Josh Chesarek August 12th, 2008 06:14 PM

I am in the same boat but I am coming from the GL2/XH-A1 route. Will be checking here to see how things go for you as you will get it a few day a head of me too.

Adrian J. Hare August 13th, 2008 07:04 AM

Congrats, on the camera guys. So far I have used mine a couple times and just love it. I do find it easyer then the XL1s so you should be ok. The only thing I'm not realy happy about is the onboard Mic. I do not find it is as near as good as the older models.

Its good to see a few more getting this camera so we all can follow along with each other...

Josh Chesarek August 13th, 2008 09:16 AM

I do have an AT-897 mic I could replace it with but most of the time I find my self using my wireless microphones.

David Odell August 14th, 2008 03:33 AM

I'm looking forward your report!

Since I'm also viewing different HD options, the H1a seems like a good choice, but money wise it's a hard deal.

Thanks!

Josh Chesarek August 19th, 2008 12:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just got it yesterday and am playing around while I wait for this tropical storm to pass. Its a monster but I got my nNovia Drive to mount :)

Jean-Philippe Archibald August 19th, 2008 04:57 PM

I got mine too but didn't had time to experiment with it yet. I'm overwhelmed by some pre production duties. Will post back soon.

Michael Galvan August 19th, 2008 05:46 PM

Congrats on the purchases.

I've been testing my XL-H1S HD-SDI recording to the AJA IOHD for this feature I'm shooting next month. Man, what a difference in quality from HD-SDI.

On a side note, what's particularly cool about the AJA IOHD is the VirtualVTR software you can use with it ... it records everything from the HD-SDI of the H1S --- video/audio/timecode.

What a difference from the older H1 where I was running all these cords around ...

Robert Sanders August 20th, 2008 01:16 PM

Nice. I'm also a big proponent of tapping into that HD-SDI goodness. I did on my last feature and I'm forever grateful we made that decision.

However, for my next film I'm not sure if I want to upgrade my H1 to an H1S, switch completely over to a Sony EX3 (not to mention that 1/2 glass is uber-expensive), or just rent a RED package with a nice set of primes.

It's a good time to be a filmmaker.

Randy Larioz August 23rd, 2008 01:27 PM

Tropical Storm Blues

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh Chesarek (Post 922114)
Just got it yesterday and am playing around while I wait for this tropical storm to pass. Its a monster but I got my nNovia Drive to mount :)

Yes I just got my XL-H1A too. During the tropical storm Faye. So the only thing I have been able to video is my apartment. I look forward to a sunny day in Florida.

Josh Chesarek August 23rd, 2008 01:43 PM

haha looks like we are in the same area. I do a lot of filming at Rollins College if you are ever around there.

Randy Larioz August 23rd, 2008 09:42 PM

Fs

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh Chesarek (Post 923952)
haha looks like we are in the same area. I do a lot of filming at Rollins College if you are ever around there.

I am right there actually. I go to FullSail with a bunch of kids half my age. It's fun though. We should do a shoot. With 2 angles the possibilities are endless

David Odell August 25th, 2008 07:20 AM

Hi,

when you guys manage to film something, please post some png or something.
It would be much appreciated!

Best,
David

Randy Larioz August 25th, 2008 10:04 AM

Video

I am actually going to use my camera on saturday to film some guys music video. When he gives me a copy I will see what I can do.

Josh Chesarek August 25th, 2008 10:36 AM

This is the first thing I filmed with it using the Cine. V setting it comes with.

Simple Thought Productions Blog Archive Crummer Summer 2008 Graduation

Compressed MPEG4. Will try and do a still when I get home.

This thursday night I will also be using it to stream some soccer live.