DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Critical question before buying an XL H1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/130851-critical-question-before-buying-xl-h1.html)

Chris A. Hall September 15th, 2008 11:47 AM

Critical question before buying an XL H1

Though they are older, I have two xL1 cameras and one of our recurring problems has made me reluctant to stay with them. With both cameras, we have had to replace the CCDs 3 or 4 times. The first time I asked Canon about this they said because the XL1 is not considered a professional camera, the CCDs are susceptible to dead pixels. These CCDs cost $1000 a pop. 3 months after the last CCDs were put in, we had more dead pixels. We take the normal precautions but this is water under the bridge. My burning question is, does this problem exist in the XL H1 series? Anybody have dead pixels out there?

Peter Ralph September 15th, 2008 12:10 PM

on the XLH1 dead pixels can be mapped out - it's a tech job, you can't do it yourself, but way cheaper then replacing the CCD

Chris A. Hall September 15th, 2008 01:59 PM

Thanks for the quick response Peter. With the XL1, Canon told us replacement was the only fix. Appreciate the info on the XL H1.

Herman Van Deventer September 15th, 2008 04:59 PM

Used 3 x XL1's under "African - Third World Conditions" for 10 years.
Each camera was sold for half a unit's initial purchase price.

Zero problems. Their respective owners are still working with them.

Upgraded to XLH1 - Zero Problems ,but purchase ruined personal financial status.

Robert Sanders September 15th, 2008 06:10 PM

We've owned our H1 for a little over two years now, shot three projects with it (one was a feature), plus several theater tapings and have never had a single problem with the H1's CCDS or dead pixels.

It's been a marvelous camera.

Greg Waite September 15th, 2008 08:28 PM

h1

we have used xl1's for years (about 10) and never had major problems - except wear and upgraded to h1's about 2 1/2 years ago - these cameras have been used for tv production ranging from snow/desert/rainforests/underground mines and have been used for 1000's of hours - we have had no problems at all (touch wood) - but as with any gear looking after the camera is of utmost impotance......

Chris A. Hall September 16th, 2008 09:57 AM

H1

Thanks everyone for the info. We really appreciate it before investing.

Daniel Lopez September 19th, 2008 02:22 PM

Thank you for posting this information. Very good to know before a major purchase.

Jacques Mersereau September 22nd, 2008 06:38 PM

I love my H1. There are always issues and the viewfinder remains one of them, but The H1 can make some pretty pictures and it has most features I need like recording to tape and lens interchangeability.