Microphone mounting gripe at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old October 1st, 2008, 10:12 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Microphone mounting gripe

The mic on my XLH1 rides so far forward that any pan upwards from a low shot throws a baseball sized shadow. I cannot go away from onboard mic for various reasons. I am running a VIDLED light and need the hot shoe for the light. I have looked at armatures to try and offload the shotgun mic farther back but they all use the hot shoe to hold the armature. I shot years with XL1S and never had that problem as the mic was set back on the frame. Any help appreciated. very frustrated.
Steve Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2008, 10:37 PM   #2
Wrangler

Are you looking for something like the Rode SM5 shockmount? Or if you already have a shockmount, The J-ROD might be what you're looking for.
Old October 2nd, 2008, 11:55 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Michael - A preliminary thank you. this looks like exactly what I need for the fix. - Steve
Steve Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2008, 06:09 PM   #4
Major Player

Scroll down to entry #9 here:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/under-wat...e-muffler.html

for pictures of the mic mount adapter I made for my XL2. The pictures show the adapter mounted upright. These days, I use it tilted 90 degrees over to one side, with the mic rotated another 90 degrees in the holder so the left/right is oriented properly. I made it originally to get the fuzzy windscreen out of the wide angle field of view, but it would work to get the mic shadow out from in front of a mounted light.

Martin
Old October 3rd, 2008, 07:08 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Try a bracket from Bracket1.com
Some pics..
BEC-TEK-01 Tekkeon Battery Caddy
http://www.gearninja.com/Images/HV20...V20_Acsy_1.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Graham View Post
The mic on my XLH1 rides so far forward that any pan upwards from a low shot throws a baseball sized shadow. I cannot go away from onboard mic for various reasons. I am running a VIDLED light and need the hot shoe for the light. I have looked at armatures to try and offload the shotgun mic farther back but they all use the hot shoe to hold the armature. I shot years with XL1S and never had that problem as the mic was set back on the frame. Any help appreciated. very frustrated.
M. Paul El-Darwish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2008, 12:00 AM   #6
Major Player

inadvertent post
Michael Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2009, 03:19 AM   #7
Major Player

Does the SM5 fit in the XL-H1's standard microphone shotmount? I can't find this information on google or this forum. Rode only mention's Sony and Panasonic cameras.
Floris van Eck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2009, 10:43 AM   #8
Trustee

It should work fine. Before Rode made the sm5, I made something similar from an SM3 mount, removing the shoe and attaching the remainder to a piece of 1-inch-outside diameter pvc pipe, using the 3/8-inch screw thread on the sm3 to attach it. Lets me move my Sennheiser MK66 back far enough to eliminate any problems. The SM5 is the same idea. My adapter fit a Sony Z1U which has a slightly larger mike mount diameter as well as the XHa1. Hth / Battle Vaughan/miamiherald.com video team
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2009, 04:23 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Yep looks like the RODE SM5 will fit the H1s mic mount clamp. It has more mounting options for other cameras, stands and booms. Check the diagram out.

RØDE Microphones - SM5

Cheers.
Allan Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2009, 05:07 AM   #10
Major Player

I just received the Rode SM-5. Works flawlessly with the XL-H1. I like it that you can turn it anyway you mount so you can have the shockmount vertically on top but also horizontally on the side to keep it away from lights and matteboxes.

Highly recommended if you need to free the hot shoe.
Floris van Eck is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders