Mattebox at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old October 17th, 2008, 03:26 AM   #1
New Boot

Mattebox

Hey everyone, i want to buy a mattebox for my canon XL-H1. Can i use this mattebox for the 20x and 6x zoom lenz from canon?
Chrosziel | AC-CMB-R20-XLHK1 Sunshade Kit 1 | R20-XLH1-K1 | B&H
Freddie Hoekerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2008, 09:23 AM   #2
New Boot

In the product description it states that it is designed for the Xl-H1; and to confirm that it will work with both lenses, it fits a 72mm thread. I know for a fact that the 20x lens is 72mm, but I'm not sure about the 6x. Check on the front of your lens and it should say what the diameter is.

-Rich
Rich Hawkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2008, 09:27 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I don't own the 6x, but I remember from researching it that it's front end is 77mm.
Old October 17th, 2008, 10:48 AM   #4
New Boot

I don't own the 6x lens,but I want to buy one.If the thread on the 6x is 77mm do I only have to buy a second adopter ring 77mm?
When I go with the 6x lens in wide angel, will the mattebox show up in the frame?
Old October 17th, 2008, 01:43 PM   #5
Major Player

We have the H1 and the wonderful 6X lense.
We don't have the Chroziel sunshade you mention. But we do have the Chroziel Matte Box made for the H1 that mounts on rods.

To interchange for between the 20X and 6X lense and Matte box use, there are different Chroziel plastic screw in addapters which fit the front of the respective lense you are using. But they do not screw into the front of the threads on the lense like would be needed for the Sunshade you are purchasing.

You might try asking one of Chroziel's large distributors - a company named 16X9 about your Sunshade question.
John Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2008, 09:49 AM   #6
New Boot

Thanks for your reply everyone.

John, does the mattebox show up in the frame when you go to wide angel with the 6x lense?
I will ask my question also at 16X9.

-Freddie
Old October 20th, 2008, 08:54 AM   #7
Major Player

No. The rod mounted matte box cannot be seen with 6x at wide angle. But I cannot speak for the sunshade.
John Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2008, 10:21 AM   #8
Major Player

Hi Freddie

Check out the TLS matte boxes. I have the Kestrel which can be mounted on rods or on an adaptor ring...

Nice matte box for the money

cheers
Gareth
Gareth Watkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2008, 06:36 PM   #9
Regular Crew

mattebox

check out cavision from canada - we have a couple of units and for the price they are good....
Greg Waite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2008, 09:31 PM   #10
Trustee

I just recently received the redrock mattebox (well a couple of months ago) and recently purchased the 6x lens. They work great together (i have the cinetech rods and support) it is a swing away and the rails and mount plus the mattebox cost about the same as the chrosziel clip on. Of course a rod mount may not be what you're looking for and I think as far as clip ons go chrosziel is the best in the business (and the edges shouldn't show up in the shot).

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders