DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Rain slicker suggestions? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/136309-rain-slicker-suggestions.html)

Bruce S. Yarock October 19th, 2008 07:16 PM

Rain slicker suggestions?

After shooting an outdoor wedding saturday with intermittent rain, I vowed to stop procrastinating and get a rain cover. I need one for the H1 and one for the A1. On my H1, I have an Anton bauer dionic 90 on the gold mount in the rear, and I also keep a frezzi mini fill on the camera shoe mount. I keep the A1 pretty stock.
Has anyone found a rain cover that will work along with the stuff I have on my H1? The main differences between mine and a stock H1 are 1- The overall lenght due to the AB battery, and 2-the height and logistics of the Frezzi on top. It would be nice to find a cover where the Frezzi could be covered or uncovered.
Thanks
Bruce S. Yarock
Yarock Video & Photography

Bruce S. Yarock October 21st, 2008 06:42 AM

Nobody has any suggestions?
bruce yarock

Peter Ralph October 21st, 2008 08:40 AM

For light showers I carry a trash bag and a few rubber bands, and occasionally an umbrella.
For extended shooting in wind/rain etc. portabrace works fine - but takes a while to get on and off, and interferes with the mic. A matte box won't fit inside the portabrace - but a french flag mounted to the lens hood will help keep rain off the surface of the lens.

Bruce S. Yarock October 21st, 2008 03:22 PM

thanks, Peter. I had left my trash bags in the car, not expecting rain...i see that Kata makes one that lets you also partially cover a fill light.
Bruce Yarock

Eugene Presley October 23rd, 2008 06:26 AM

Hi Bruce,

If interested, I'm selling my rain slickers (brand new).

This is exactly what I'm selling :

Porta Brace | RS-XHAG1 Mini-DV Rain Slicker | RS-XHAG1 | B&H

&

Porta Brace | POL-MVX200/XH Polar-Mitten | POL-MVX200/XH | B&H

I'm also selling a EWA-Marine under water housing, never used either. Offers welcome.

B&H Photo Video | Digital Cameras, Camcorders

Floris van Eck October 27th, 2008 01:42 AM

I use the Kata raincover for the XL. Works fine for me! But I agree that a trash bag works fine as well.

Kevin Martorana November 3rd, 2008 05:17 PM

I have the Kata bag for the H1....and it has worked extremely well...in torrential downpours.
The camera never got a drip on rain on it....

Joachim Hoge November 4th, 2008 09:21 AM

I also have the Kata, works very well and is not too much in the way as some rain covers are

Greg Boston November 4th, 2008 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce S. Yarock (Post 953171)
Has anyone found a rain cover that will work along with the stuff I have on my H1? The main differences between mine and a stock H1 are 1- The overall lenght due to the AB battery, and 2-the height and logistics of the Frezzi on top. It would be nice to find a cover where the Frezzi could be covered or uncovered.

Well, I'm not sure you can still get them.. but here's a review I did on a cover for the XL-2 which is physically the same size as the XL-H1. The website appears to be down though. It's a good cover though if you can find one used.

The CamKote XL2 Camera Cover by Greg Boston

-gb-

Alastair Brown November 12th, 2008 01:20 PM

Amazon.com: Kata KT VA-801-14 CRC-14 DV/HDV Rain Cover: Camera & Photo

Special offer on the Kata at the moment.