Noise or a compression problem?.... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old October 24th, 2008, 09:18 AM   #1
New Boot

Noise or a compression problem?....

Just received my XL H1A and have recorded some random things, both in manual and auto mode. However I seem to be getting horrible results. I've attached some pictures.

Setup is HD
25F
Gain Odb or +3db at most on some shots.
shutter 1/50

I've tested in both low and bright situations, not sure what I should do. Am I meant to see some noise even in a brightly lit living room? I seem to be seeing both compression as well as noise together but I'm not sure.

Hope you can help.

Thanks
Phil
Attached Thumbnails
Noise or a compression problem?....-test2.jpg   Noise or a compression problem?....-test.jpg  

Noise or a compression problem?....-canon.jpg   Noise or a compression problem?....-picture-2.png  

Phil Dexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2008, 09:43 AM   #2
Major Player

I get noise too, and I haven't been able to find a setting where I don't have it. I do find its less when in brightly lit conditions, but I can notice it even when conditions are perfect.
Louis Maddalena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2008, 10:36 AM   #3
Major Player

Phil,

Page 73 - XLH1 manual :

-3 dB Gain - For the lowest noise recording for indoor, low light or low contrast scenes.

My Chainsaw is permanently set to -3dB.
Herman Van Deventer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2008, 04:27 PM   #4
New Boot

re

Thanks for the replies. I've since turned the gain down to -3db, which has helped, I also reset the camcorder, which also helped. Is there anything else you guys can recommend for reducing noise?

I'd be interested to see what others are using as their settings. I haven't tried using the Noise Reduction feature, would this be worth using at all with -3db of gain?

Thanks guys, really appreciate you help.

Phil
Old October 24th, 2008, 04:48 PM   #5
Major Player

Couple Items in the Custom Presets Menu:

1. You can experiment with "Coring" The manual will tell you what that is for

2. Noise Reduction (1 or 2 - I forget at the moment which one introduces ghosting/trailing image with any movement)

Best advice to a new H1 user is to learn about the Custom Presets ... and learn how to download the wonderful Custom Presets that some very sharp people on this forum took the time to work up and Chris Hurd's efforts to catalog them for us. I especially recommend Steve Dempsey's "Panalook" custom presets.
John Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2008, 05:56 PM   #6
Starway Pictures

Yes, Dempsey's "Panalook" is an ideal oft-used preset.

However, the expectation that this is somehow a "noise free" camera is not reasonable. All 1/3" chip cameras have a relatively high noise-floor. If you flirt with underexposure (like the frames posted) you're going to get noise in the image. Most people concur that Canon's noise characteristics are the most pleasing of the lot. But it can be a noisy bitch sometimes.

Personally I'd rather over-exposure the image slightly and risk burnt out highlights than under-exposure the image and lift all that noise up.

My two pence.

Rob
Robert Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2008, 06:18 PM   #7
New Boot

re

Thanks ever so much chaps! I'm currently trying to get some of the custom presets onto the camera. For some reason I can't seem to load them. I've initialized the card in the XL H1A and copied the files all ending in .CPF to the PRESET folder on the SD card. But when I load them into the camera and go to the customize section, the files read as DATA ERR, and the EXECUTE icon is not highlighted to select. I'm using a mac too, if that helps.

I'm getting close, lol....

I don't need to put the camera into any specific mode I do? I'm just selecting Manual mode and then attempting to load files from the card.

I'm guessing these files should work with the XL H1A and not just the XL H1 right?

My head really hurts :)

Phil
Old October 25th, 2008, 01:35 AM   #8
Major Player

Phil ,

Just make sure that the folder on the card is - PRESET - all capp's - and not PRESETS, presets,preset.
Herman Van Deventer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2008, 11:54 AM   #9
New Boot

re

Thanks Herman. Well, I've managed to load the PANALOOK preset after deleting the others off the card, and it looks great, being colourblind I'm not entirely sure what it's done, but the contrast looks really nice.

I'll try copying the remaining presets tonight :)

The footage is looking really great in Final Cut when I preview it full screen via video out, things look good. What settings would you guys recommend for exporting at the highest quality? I've tried a few exporting options but compression becomes a major problem, and ultimately doesn't look as good as it does in FC.

Thanks so much for your helps guys! Can't thank you enough.

Phil
Phil Dexter is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders