XL-H1 firewire out compression at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old November 19th, 2008, 03:56 PM   #1
Regular Crew

XL-H1 firewire out compression

aloha
i know you can get 4:2:2 out SDI without sound with an XL-HI but what can you get out via firewire to hard disk and does it have sound. I am thinking its 4:1:1 with sound. but i'm just guessing.
thanks
tito
Tito Haggardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2008, 05:35 PM   #2
Major Player

What comes out the FW port is exactly what gets recorded to tape. There is no quality difference. In HD modes, its 4:2:0.

In SD, its 4:1:1.
Michael Galvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2008, 06:20 PM   #3
Regular Crew

sound

thank you Michael
i take it there is sound embedded
tito
Tito Haggardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2008, 06:45 PM   #4
Major Player

That is correct (along with timecode).
Old January 23rd, 2009, 08:48 AM   #5
Tourist

Having recently purchased an XL H1. I had a question regarding the compression of the footage. Please bear with me I don't know as much as I should but I am tring to learn.

The camera obviously shoots in full HD. When using a SDI output you can put it into the PC at full HD spec. When you record it onto tape it compresses the footage (via Mpeg2) does that mean the only way to get the uncompressed full quality is to capture it live using SDI?

If it records onto the tape as compressed, even if you play it back through the camera you will not get full quality because it has already been compressed right?

If I am understanding it correctly does that mean you only have 2 options really, capture live through SDI or capture to Firestore?

Thanks

Mark
Mark A. Sloan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2009, 09:18 AM   #6
Major Player

The only way to get the pure uncompressed is through the HD-SDI port (which you then can capture uncompressed or to any compression scheme of your choice).

Once recorded to tape, its gone through the MPEG2 compression. Playing the tape back out through HD-SDI will only play it out, it's already been compressed.

Capturing to firestore is the same thing as to tape (compression wise) as the output through the firewire port is compressed already. Only through HD-SDI will you get a pristine uncompressed signal.

Hope that helps.
Old January 23rd, 2009, 09:29 AM   #7
Tourist

That is excellent thank you!

A tad misleading as you don't really get full HD recording unless it is live recorded. I can't image having to trapese a PC with me when trying to film little segments out and about.

Once you have put it to tape you still get a HD sized footage? but it is of less quaility but it seems that putting into premier pro 2 you can only get either DV sized footage or playing the tape back and getting compressed HD through an SDI connection?
Old January 23rd, 2009, 09:38 AM   #8
Major Player

Lets also understand here, the whole "Full HD" thing is really nothing but a marketing ploy. HDV may be subsampled from 1920 (1440x1080), but that doesn't mean it isn't HD. HDCAM is subsampled the same way and DVCPRO HD even further (1280x1080), but they are as full HD as they come.

I guess you more referring to a full raster format like HDCAM SR, where it is kept 1920.
Old January 23rd, 2009, 09:50 AM   #9
Tourist

Maybe what I mean is.

To get the best picture, uncompressed quality it can only be obtained from the camera by live streaming from the SDI port?

It is compressed onto a tape or downscaled through firewire the final quality will be lessened due to the compression?
Old January 23rd, 2009, 09:52 AM   #10
Major Player

Correct. The native format of the camera is the MPEG2 onto tape and through firewire.

It's HD-SDI port is the only way to tap into the pure video signal directly from the processing chip.
Old January 25th, 2009, 08:16 PM   #11
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Galvan View Post
Lets also understand here, the whole "Full HD" thing is really nothing but a marketing ploy. HDV may be subsampled from 1920 (1440x1080), but that doesn't mean it isn't HD. HDCAM is subsampled the same way and DVCPRO HD even further (1280x1080), but they are as full HD as they come.

I guess you more referring to a full raster format like HDCAM SR, where it is kept 1920.
.....Just to clarify and qualify...The Canon XL H1 outputs by Scaling Anamorphic pixels @ 1440 x 1080 to 1920 x 1080 out of its HD-SDI Uncompressed output. This is a perfectly good way of doing it. The HDCAM outputs a "scaled" 1920 x 1080 in the same way, only, I wasn't aware it was lower than 1440 x 1080 anamorphic pixels.

Last edited by Mark Job; January 26th, 2009 at 12:50 AM.
Mark Job is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders