fisheye reccomendations? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old December 27th, 2008, 09:12 PM   #1
Trustee

fisheye reccomendations?

I've been thinking about getting a fisheye, but can't epend the $600 for the century Optics Hd model. Has anyone found anything else that is cheaper and still gives a decent image?
Thanks
Bruce Yarock
Yarock Video and Photo
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2008, 04:39 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Bruce.

If you are already using a 35mm adaptor, have a look at the Peleng f3.5 8mm fisheye with Nikon mount. You may have to fool around with the backfocus to get it right, maybe even operate it without the clear screw-on filter on back to compensate for the glass panel in adaptors behind the lenses.

YouTube - AGUS35 APVE TO HVR-Z1P DEMO. - PELENG FISHEYE.

You may need to zoom in a bit closer with the Letus to get inside the natural vignette of this style of lens. It covers corner to corner on the standard motion picture frame.

A vendor in the former Soviet Union has supplied two lenses to me without hassles but that was two years ago or thereabouts. They are beginning to turn up second-hand on that famous auction site which shan't be named but starts with an "e".

The Zenitar 16mm f2.8 fhisheye lens is cheaper, has a wider view but is more prone to flare and has an apparent softer image. The skydivers apparently like it though.

With my home made adaptor, I was able to re-adjust the lens centre axis downwards which makes for a more natural composition of a groundlevel view. You don't have this option with the P+S Technik Mini35, Pro35 or the Letus Extreme but may be cheatable with the Brevis and Letus Ultimate which I have heard have an axis adjustment. I don't know yay or nay for the Redrock M2 or SGPro/Blade.

Last edited by Bob Hart; December 28th, 2008 at 04:48 AM. Reason: error
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2008, 08:34 AM   #3
Trustee

thanks, Bob. I was thinking more of one to use when I'm not using the Letus, just on the end of the stock lens. But i'll also check one of these out.
Bruce Yarock
Yarock Video and Photo
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders