Canon 200mm 2L with Xl-H1??? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old January 4th, 2009, 04:22 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Canon 200mm 2L with Xl-H1???

Just curious if anyone has any thoughts about using Canon's 200mm 2L with the Xl-H1??

I have the EF adapter--and have used the 100-400mm with my Xl2(haven't tried it on the Xl-H1)--so I understand that I can use it.

The 200 is sharper than the 100-400 but I have no idea whether its sharpness would be in the same ballpark with the 20x??

Thinking of purchasing the 200mm to use with the 1d Mark lll but only if it can cross over to the Xl-H1.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks
Ron
Ron Stoecklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2009, 05:17 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Hi Ron............

Pretty sure this has been discussed before and at length.

Use the Google search at the bottom of the page to search DVinfo for key words, should pop a few threads up straight away.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2009, 03:14 AM   #3
Major Player

Ron -

Just used the 100 x 400 on the XLHI - Butterfly Shoot.

Very Impressive !
Herman Van Deventer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2009, 04:37 AM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Stoecklein View Post
Just curious if anyone has any thoughts about using Canon's 200mm 2L with the Xl-H1??
Ron, are you sure about this is a EF 200mm f2.0 L lens? I'm not aware of any Canon lens of this spec?
Old January 5th, 2009, 07:01 PM   #5
Major Player

Using the EF adapter will multiply your focal length by 7........200mm = 14000mm...

Jim Martin
Jim Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2009, 08:27 PM   #6
Regular Crew

200?

Per thanks-but there is in fact a 200mm 2L
Canon | Telephoto EF 200mm f/2L IS USM Autofocus Lens | 2297B002

And Jim thanks too but as i explained I am aware of using Canon lenses with the EF adapter-
-
my question was and is does anyone have any idea how the sharpness (IQ) of the 200mm 2L compares with using the XL-H1s 20x?

Thanks
Ron
Old January 6th, 2009, 01:56 AM   #7
Inner Circle

I wasn't aware of that lens either, I know there is a 200mm f1.8L which is a terrific performer. I'm guessing the f2L will be as well, BUT I'd doubt it'd be as sharp as the 20x stock lens, which a) is said to be pretty good anyway, and b) is made for that camera and that chip size so has a huge advantage over a 35mm chip/film size lens.
Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2009, 01:57 AM   #8
Trustee

Ron, you've enlighten me! Didn't know about that lens before!

My experience with Canon prime lenses is very good. I've been using several like the 70-200mm f2.8, 300mm f4.0, 500mm f4.0
But you get a total different perspective compared to the stock 20x lens! As Jim says you get a magnification of 7.2, throwing your background (and foreground) out of focus. You have a very little DOF to work on, you have to focus manually. I found them sharpest in the f4.0 - f11 area (don't even think of going deeper than f11!!)
The prime f2.8 are very bright lenses. In daylight you have to use ND-filters to step them down a bit.
You haven't said what kind of use you have in mind, for wildlife those lenses are perfect.
Old January 6th, 2009, 04:24 AM   #9
Trustee

Quote:
my question was and is does anyone have any idea how the sharpness (IQ) of the 200mm 2L compares with using the XL-H1s 20x?
Reading the review at B&H seems like this is an awesome lens.

As a sidenote: if you're going to attach it to your XLH1, you need a rail. The lens weight 5.6 lbs and are way too heavy just to mount in front of the H1 without any rail for the lens and camcorder!
Old January 6th, 2009, 10:04 PM   #10
Regular Crew

200 thoughts

Thanks Per--actually I would be using the lens for shooting surf and as mentioned I have used the 100-400 but don't find that lens to be that sharp. So at about 1400mm with the 200 it could work out well provided the lens was in the same ballpark with the 20x.

Good points regarding the shallow depth of field.

I do have a rail system but have actually used the 100-400 with and without the rail-but that brings up another good point--the 200 weighs more than the 100-400 I think--which would make using the rail system more important with the 200.

So maybe if I have to make some long shots I'll just use the 100-400 for now(takes it to about 3000mm at 400mm).

thanks for the inputs.

Ron
Old January 7th, 2009, 08:23 AM   #11
Trustee

Hi, some has reported the 100-400 a bit soft at the 400 end, but staying 380 and below is better.
I think you'll be better of with a zoom lens, cause finding the surfers in high waves with a prime (1400mm and above) will not be an easy task! I will compare this to find birds in flight which almost driving me crazy from time to time!

Good luck in you findings, and please keep us updated how it goes!

Note: there is a interesting thread in the under water over land forum, regarding finding the target with long lenses:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/under-wat...hoto-lens.html

Last edited by Per Johan Naesje; January 7th, 2009 at 08:26 AM. Reason: added link
Per Johan Naesje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2009, 07:00 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Long shots

Hey per,

Once again thanks for your comments.

I went to the thread you noted--which reminded me that a couple of times when i used the 100-400 I used a red dot (as was mentioned in that thread)--The red dot I used was adjustable--so I would adjust it to the approximate distance that I would be shooting--when I filmed I just traced the subject with the red dot rather than look through the viewfinder--not perfect but it seemed t work. (the biggest problem using it was a couple of times I thought I pressed pause and the cam kept recording and then of course when I in turn pressed record-it paused--I'm guessing this has happened to everyone with or without using a red dot!!--just easier to happen when your not looking through the viewfinder!!!)

Just wondered if you've tried the same methodology?

Ron
Old January 8th, 2009, 02:06 AM   #13
Trustee

Quote:
...(the biggest problem using it was a couple of times I thought I pressed pause and the cam kept recording and then of course when I in turn pressed record-it paused--I'm guessing this has happened to everyone with or without using a red dot..
I often use a red dot setup with my long lenses.

Funny you mention the record/pause problem. A couple of years ago, I was out in the wild to film wild brown bears from a blind. This actual night was very dull, nothing happened for many hours, but suddenly 3 bears appeared. In front of me, just 20 meters ahead two of them started to fight, the light was fantastic, the quiet forest was thrown into a scenario with deep growls, powerful bodies, sharp claws running into their bodies. I don't think I was breathing for minutes. Well after the fight, I was thinking; this once in a lifetime experience was on my tape... ...wrong, I had been pushing the record-button twice, paused just second before the action took place!

Luckily the bears started a new fight a little later, but from a longer distance, which I actually recorded!

You may watch the scene here: video-film.no UWOL-challenge 4 (the fight is at the end of the film!)
Old January 11th, 2009, 07:48 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Per-really nice work!!

Per,

I went to your website-wow--some spectacular footage!!

I'm thinking some long hours in a blind to get some of the footage!!

Did you shoot mainly with the 20x lens?

Thanks for your inputs!

Ron
Old January 12th, 2009, 01:18 AM   #15
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Per Johan Naesje View Post
I often use a red dot setup with my long lenses.

Funny you mention the record/pause problem. A couple of years ago, I was out in the wild to film wild brown bears from a blind. This actual night was very dull, nothing happened for many hours, but suddenly 3 bears appeared. In front of me, just 20 meters ahead two of them started to fight, the light was fantastic, the quiet forest was thrown into a scenario with deep growls, powerful bodies, sharp claws running into their bodies. I don't think I was breathing for minutes. Well after the fight, I was thinking; this once in a lifetime experience was on my tape... ...wrong, I had been pushing the record-button twice, paused just second before the action took place!

Luckily the bears started a new fight a little later, but from a longer distance, which I actually recorded!
I've done this way more times than i care to remember. I did it just the other day and I've been shooting with this camera for 2 1/2 years. Fortunately I've always caught it or never done it where it cost me valuable footage.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders