DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   new lense xl a or s for original xl (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/146690-new-lense-xl-s-original-xl.html)

Michael Padilla March 26th, 2009 12:39 PM

new lense xl a or s for original xl

Does anyone know if we can purchase a new xl-h1s lens for the original XLH1 body?

Robert Sanders March 26th, 2009 02:29 PM

I'm not sure you can buy the 20x lens by itself. You can definitely buy the 6x L Series lens for the XLH1.

Dale Guthormsen March 27th, 2009 06:17 PM

Good evening,

If you go to my post "Lens Question" I took pictures with an xl2 lens on an xlh1 and posted them.

wish I had both of the wide lenses to compare too!!!!

fundementally no difference!!!!

Pete Bauer March 27th, 2009 07:10 PM

Of course the 6X wasn't out yet when I did the comparison I mentioned in your other thread on the lenses, but considering how well the 3X actually did, I suspect the answer is the same as with the 20X lenses: it wouldn't be worth the cost to get the HD lenses to use with the XL2. The SD lenses are good -- enough so that they don't lag too badly when on the XL H1, as compared to the HD lenses. They aren't HD lenses, but are pretty darn good SD lenses.

Bruce S. Yarock April 6th, 2009 05:22 AM

I had the 3x wide angle , which I used with my XL2, before gettimg my H1. I had been using the3x on my H1 umtil a producer I worked for complained about the image.
I got a great deal on the 6x hd version, and the image is spectacular. definately worth it, and I use it all the time.
Bruce Yarock
Yarock Video and Photo

Richard Alvarez April 6th, 2009 06:40 AM

The 16x Manual is pretty darn good on the XLH1. My production partner in Houston uses it oh his all the time. The 3x is, in my opinion, not acceptable if you're final output is HD.

Robert Sanders April 6th, 2009 04:33 PM

I too have found that most of the Canon's earlier XL lenses work just fine on my H1. Yes, the 3x works, but is very soft in the corners. But, it works.

As far as Michael Padilla's original question, I'm pretty sure the H1s lens will work just fine in the older H1. The only thing is that the aperture control ring will not work. You'll still have to control the aperture via the thumb wheel.

Michael Padilla April 6th, 2009 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Sanders (Post 1059974)
I too have found that most of the Canon's earlier XL lenses work just fine on my H1. Yes, the 3x works, but is very soft in the corners. But, it works.

As far as Michael Padilla's original question, I'm pretty sure the H1s lens will work just fine in the older H1. The only thing is that the aperture control ring will not work. You'll still have to control the aperture via the thumb wheel.

Ahhh.. thank you. I suppose that is really what I was looking for; so the engine behind the XLH1s (which being similar to that of the A1/G1) controls the iris ring! Ok, so really there would be no reason to get the newer lens unless I just broke mine. Cool. Overall I am quite happy with the original xlh1, the LCD could be better.. did they fix that on the "s" version?

Thanks

Robert Sanders April 7th, 2009 01:07 PM

The only thing the newer 20x lenses have over the older ones would be better coatings for chromatic aberrations. But, to be honest, I can't really tell if CA is reduced by these new coatings or not. I'm pretty sure it's nominal.

Chris Hurd August 12th, 2009 03:31 PM

Actually the biggest difference between the new 20x lens for the S/A models vs. the older XL H1 stock 20x lens is the totally redesigned control rings... they are bigger, farther apart, and have a much tighter feel. Plus the new 20x can pull zoom and focus at the same time... the older 20x cannot.

Floris van Eck August 15th, 2009 05:20 PM

He asks if he can buy the redesigned 20X HD Lens separately, you all answer about how good the SD lenses are ;) I agree with all of you though!

I don't think you can buy the new 20X separately officially, but some of the site sponsors here are also selling kits with the wide lens instead of the 20X. I guess when they sell one with the 6X HD WIDE they just sell the regular lens separately.

I would phone around a bit and see if they can help you.