Captured video skipping / fast forwarding at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old June 23rd, 2009, 12:57 PM   #1
New Boot

Captured video skipping / fast forwarding

Hello Folks,

I am trying to figure out this wired problem where the captured footage is skipping/fast forwarding for just a few seconds consistently after 10 minutes or so. I thought that it was the Magix program that I use to capture the video but I tried Pinnacle, Pre Pro and Sony, I am getting same results. Have you guys seen this problem before?
Dil Singh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2009, 01:33 PM   #2
Trustee

Is the material on the original tape intact? Does it play from the camera?

I ask because sometimes the video stream can become corrupt, and even though it plays fine on the camera, when brought into the PC it can confuse the player. I do not use any of the software you mentioned so I cannot comment directly, but I can tell you that I have had brief moments in videos similar to this, caused by dropouts that freak out the software. Usually recapturing "after" the dropout reolves this.

Good Luck.
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2009, 11:05 AM   #3
Major Player

Are you capturing from the camera or another deck. If you are useing a sony deck you may have to get the canon heads realigned, there were some issues, I had to get my camera adjusted.

Mick
Mick Jenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2009, 04:16 PM   #4
New Boot

Sorry for the late reply. I am using camera to capture the video. It seems that it is dropped frames that I am dealing with. If I recapture, the footage is fine. But I have 3 hours of footage, it is difficult to catch the dropped frame point and then I discover it during editing. Is dropped frames pretty common during capture with the computer? Can I do anything so it does not happen. I make sure that there are no applcaition running on the computer when I am doing capture.
Old August 10th, 2009, 11:59 AM   #5
New Boot

Update

Hello Gentlemen,

I have discovered something interesting and weird at the same time. It turned out that the dropped frames (video skipping / fast forwarding) will only happen during capture if I do the SD recording on the camera. It happens every single time. But if I do HD recording and do video capture, I do not get dropped frames ever. Has any of you experienced this? Thanks for the help in advance.
Old August 11th, 2009, 02:02 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Hi Dil.................

You seem to be defying the laws of DV/ HDV physics - everyone else (of those that have expressed an opinion) gets along fine with DV and gets dropped frames with HDV!

To answer your earlier question, I'd never seen a dropped frame till I went to HDV, since when I've had a gutfull of them.

As you're definately going against the flow here, I'd suggest there is an issue with the DV driver on your PC.

When you say "no other applications running during capture" does that mean none?

No network/ internet/ firewall/ virus/ Skype/ MSN etc? They must ALL be totally disabled.

The fact that a subsequent capture gets the missing data definately points to a conflict somewhere - disk(s) clean and de - fragged?

Tried updating the DV driver? (if I knew how, I'd tell you, but I don't).

Try updating every other driver you have - graphics, audio, display, MoBo - the lot.

If all the above doesn't can it, I'm stumped.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2009, 06:59 AM   #7
Trustee

If you know of someone with a editing computer, try this on their system. The first step in isolating this is to determine if the problem is coming from the camera or the computer. You are going to keep spinning your wheels until you figure this part out. If there is no problem with your camera then you can start troubleshooting your PC. At that point you need to determine if this is a hardware issue or a software issue. That takes time to troubleshoot.

I have to say, that in the past I have run into a few computers that had problems with DV editing and no amount of reinstalling the OS and all apps, switching RAM sticks in and out, changing video cards or sound cards to remove possible conflicts ever resolved them. I had to resolve myself to the fact that that particular PC was just not going to work.

This was a while ago and I have found generally that newer computers are much more forgiving. But when it comes to capturing a steady DV/HDV stream, some low level bus mastering issue on the mainbaord could be chopping up that stream and there would not be a lot that you could do about it unless you have a really tweakable BIOS. Hopefully this will not be your issue, but I wanted to point out that sometimes incompatibilites run very deep in the hardware and cannot be fixed with software or driver updates. On the bright side....sometimes they can! Good Luck.
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2009, 03:03 PM   #8
New Boot

Thanks Matry and Chris,

Now I tried it on a 2 different computers.

I get dropped frames while capturing DV footage but not one singal frame dropped when I capture HDV stream. I can also run heavy applications on the computer when I capture HDV and it still does not drop any frames. I am happy with the HDV so I will stick with it.

Thanks for all the help.

DS
Dil Singh is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders