Focus problems at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old July 6th, 2009, 04:27 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Focus problems

In addition to the noise problems I had recently with the XL-H1A I've now noticed that certain wide angle shots appear soft (whilst viewing in FCP version 5.1.4 after capture). It could be a back focus issue but it doesn't happen on all wide angle shots which one would expect if it was a back focus problem; yesterday I took two similar full wide angle views in the country; one was soft the other was very sharp, and both were very sharp in the camera's viewfinder. The problem is not evident in CU or MCU which are both very sharp. The viewfinder diopter is adjusted correctly for my eyesight and I am very careful about checking focus before a shot. The problem is most obvious when shooting landscapes and vegetation (trees, grass, etc) at full wide angle. I am shooting at 1080/25p in cine 2 gamma mode. Also the viewfinder frame seems narrower than the lens frame so the 16:9 aspect ratio matte box appears in wide angle captured footage but not in the viewfinder. Any advice or suggestions regarding the above would be most welcome!

Cheers
Simon
Simon Glidewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2009, 09:57 AM   #2
Major Player

You can't judge critical focus of a wide shot in the EVF - but at full wide you have a lot of depth of field. Could it be a diffraction problem caused by too small an aperture?
Doug Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2009, 10:17 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Hi............

I'm an XH A1 man, so this may not translate to a XL H.

It's possible on an A1 to push the lens past infinity to infinity+, at least in manual, can't say for Auto as I rarely use it.

Infinity+ is definately less sharp than infinity.

Could be the problem, if the XL H can do the same thing.

Can't offer any advice on the matte box tho'.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2009, 10:23 AM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Soucy View Post

...It's possible on an A1 to push the lens past infinity to infinity+, at least in manual, can't say for Auto as I rarely use it.

Infinity+ is definately less sharp than infinity.

Could be the problem, if the XL H can do the same thing.

CS
ALL lenses focus to just beyond the infinity mark. This is to allow for slight expansion and contraction of glass elements during extreme temperature variations.

Regarding wide shots. Are you using the 20X or 6X and which aperture/iris settings are you most often using?

On the subject of back-focus. Have you re-adjusted the back-focus lately? It might be worth doing quick lens adjustment using the back-focus control.

If all the other footage taken at various telephoto settings are sharp, then I doubt that it is actually a back focus issue.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders