Good Raincoat for XLH1 with Adapter Holder? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old July 23rd, 2009, 05:56 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Good Raincoat for XLH1 with Adapter Holder?

I was caught out in a shower yesterday without a raincoat for my H1. Luckily, it was over quickly before any damage was done. I have used Petrol in the past with my Sony DSR-570, but XLH1s can be configeured in so many ways, it's tough to make a choice based solely on a catalog description. My H1 is setup with a

•Formatt Matt Box up front,

and an Adapter Holder which has an

•Anton Bauer Gold Mount plate, and a
•Firestore FS-C out back.

It's quite a sled! A pretty long rig, but really functional.

Anyone have a recommendation as to which raincoat works well on such a lengthy setup?

Aloha,

Jeff
Jeff DePonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2009, 09:07 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I have a Porta Brace that has a lot of extra room. I can fit an Anton Bauer battery on the back on an adapter and still have some room. It is labeled as model "RSXL", but I got it a long time ago so the model may have changed.
Old July 24th, 2009, 04:46 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Porta Brace: Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Gregg View Post
I have a Porta Brace that has a lot of extra room. I can fit an Anton Bauer battery on the back on an adapter and still have some room. It is labeled as model "RSXL", but I got it a long time ago so the model may have changed.
Thanks, Barry, I'll definately take your comments into consideration.

Jeff
Jeff DePonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2009, 01:56 AM   #4
Major Player

You can always find a good local seamstress / needlwork shop nearby and have one made up. You can get advice on waterproof materials, choose the colour right for you and have extra pockets added - together with a pvc window here and there.

The last thing I had made tailored to the application was a shroud for a teleprompter, they place velcro all around the screen edge and the shroud, included a light barrier wrap over where it joins the lens and elasticated the lens hole so it fits any lens without the need for adjustment. All up £15 / $24 - and when I went to collect it - she threw in a spare already made up because I gave her excess fabric and velcro!

Having it made up can be so cheap you can look at alternatives for when you have a bare bone cam set up as opposed to the full sled scenario.

WORST CASE SCENARIO make sure you have a large golfing brolly in your vehicle.

Very worst case scenario - I have been known (bet others have too) to take off my jacket and put it over my camera. It has provoked odd comments from passers by but hell - they're not paying the otherwise repair bills!
Dave Gosley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2009, 05:21 AM   #5
Inner Circle

I've got the Porta-Brace but honestly never used it in 2yrs. I'd have to fit it before I went out and if it was raining that hard I probably wouldn't go.

What I have used and find useful is a large black plastic garbage bag carried screwed up in my pocket. Great for sudden showers.

Carry a golf umbrella too and if it looks like raining constantly, an assistant.

Cheers.
Old August 14th, 2009, 10:23 AM   #6
Inner Circle

I find the bag surprisingly efficient too. You poke a hole and stick the lens through, and then another hole for the viewfinder. When I do outdoor shoots a lot of times I'll put the bag on first, and then roll the edges up as far as they'll go. That way if the rain starts I just roll it down, and bam, instant rain protection.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2009, 02:34 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Petrol Rain Cover

Aloha friends,

Well, I opted for the Petrol PRC-XL Rain Cover. I had great succes with a Petrol cover for my Sony DSR-570, and this thing looks to be even better. Clear sections where you need to see camera controls, a section that's pleated so you can grab the camera by the handle, viewfinder and shotgun mic ports, and a velcro fitting to surround the mattbox. Great stuff, and amazingly, it was only $49 at B&H. What a deal!

I read the comments about not shooting in the rain. For me, that is not an option. In my business, I shoot a lot of documentaries, and you've got to be able to work around water and in the rain. With the proper rain gear for yourself and the camera, you can be comfortable and make great images.

All the best—

Jeff
Jeff DePonte is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders