DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Quick fix for a loose EVF locking ring (an answer not a question) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/239873-quick-fix-loose-evf-locking-ring-answer-not-question.html)

James Thomson July 27th, 2009 10:51 PM

Quick fix for a loose EVF locking ring (an answer not a question)

Hi All,

I've found I needed an AWFUL lot of force to tighten the locking ring to stop my EVF sliding side-to-side.

I'd fitted a washer made of lens cloth to provide more friction (with very limited results) but opening a new spindle of DVDs I found the perfect solution...

At the top of a DVD spindle pack there are 2 foam washers -to stop the disks shaking in the pack. (Imation DVD+R Printable 30 pack)

One of them (the other is a spare) fits perfectly between the EVF locking ring and the dovetail and preliminary testing shows that the EVF is secure with the ring just nipped tight.

(You have to take off the EVF and then remove the 4 bolts to fit the washer -be careful not to lose the detente+spring.)

I'm filming handheld every evening this week so I'll report back.

James

Tony Davies-Patrick July 28th, 2009 11:02 AM

Yes, that screw-wheel can be a pain at times, especially when I often need to to shoot run 'n gun within seconds of taking the cam out of the bag and don't have enough time to check and re-tighten it. A slightly loose EVF can also sometimes be picked up by the onboard mic as a background clicking noise when you make small adjustments of the camera on your shoulder.

Rubber washers inside multi-DVD packs...what a good idea! It is a pity that I've already thrown all of mine out... LOl! I'll just have to buy another DVD pack and try it out as well. It will save me getting out the superglue in frustration. :)

Chris Hurd July 28th, 2009 12:59 PM

8 Attachment(s)
What an excellent tip this is... step-by-step photos below; click each to see full size versions.

Tony Davies-Patrick July 28th, 2009 01:58 PM

Great stuff, Chris! Pity we don't have a patent on it... :)

Dil Singh July 28th, 2009 04:27 PM

Hey James,

What a great discovery. I have dealt with loose EVF locking ring many times. Once I had camera on the tripod and I was moving it on the rough surface (on the side of a swimming pool) the locking ring came completely loose and while I was trying to tighten in, I almost missed my shot.

Great stuff! I will definitely use the ring washer from the DVD spindle.

Thanks for the proactive post.

James Thomson July 28th, 2009 09:47 PM

An update

Thanks Chris for the step-by-step.
I'd planned to do one of those if the idea proved to be viable!!

So I tested under field conditions last night -45 minutes of filming in a shopping mall:
Up and down escalators, shoulder mounted, low angle, pushing through crowds...

It seems like we have a winner!!
You only need to move the ring about 90 degrees to go between secure and adjustable!

I can't speak to the longevity yet but I guess that's why Imation chose to grant us 2 washers per pack.

Thanks everyone for the positive feedback (oh and for the record, my washers are white -not grey!)
James

Mick Jenner July 29th, 2009 03:28 AM

Hi James,

Thanks very much fot the tip, and with the help of chris's step by step photo guide my camera is now modified.

I do have a number of these washers and some loctite should I need to replace the washer on a regular basis!

Kind regards

Muick

Chris Hurd July 29th, 2009 07:30 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Here's a couple more shots that show the little spring and pin that James warns us about. You have
to be careful to do this modification on a large, lighted work area; you don't want that spring or the
pin rolling off the table and disappearing.

Robert Sanders July 29th, 2009 04:48 PM

Brilliant!

James Thomson July 29th, 2009 08:37 PM

[Here's a couple more shots that show the little spring and pin that James warns us about]

Thanks again Chris -I eventually found the spring under my desk!!

Barry Gregg August 3rd, 2009 08:20 AM

Fantastic idea. I'll have to get out a large white piece of paper and go for it.

My EVF mount has been bent slightly and hangs 4 or 5 degrees low to the left. Nothing looks bent and I don't think it got hit hard. It's been this way for a couple of years.

Any good tricks to level it?

Thanks, Barry