No camera-info (Canon XL-H1) on my Marshall V-LCD70P-3GSDI 7" monitor at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old September 23rd, 2009, 01:44 AM   #1
Regular Crew

No camera-info (Canon XL-H1) on my Marshall V-LCD70P-3GSDI 7" monitor

Hi,

I've just bought a Marshall V-LCD70P-3GSDI 7" monitor to use with my Canon XL-H1.
It delivers a beautiful image, but I just can't get my camera-info (shutter speed, f-stop, volume, recording mark) on my Marshall...
I use the HD-SDI ports on both devices.

I think I've tried every setting on my XL-H1. Is there anyone who knows if this info can be displayed on my Marshall and how?

Thanks a lot!
Old September 23rd, 2009, 07:26 AM   #2
Major Player

Hi Rob,

I also use a monitor with the XL-H1s. The only port that I have been able to get camera information is the second viewfinder port (monitor port) just below the main port. That is component output (not HD-SDI). The image is good, but may not quite as good as the HD-SDI ports. It does however have the camera information and will respond to the peaking and the magnification settings to aid focus.

Others have suggested there is perhaps a 10% difference in quality. My monitor is not full HD so I can't see any difference between the two outputs.

Alan
Alan Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2009, 07:42 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Hey Alan,

Thanks for the hint! I will buy me some component cables and give it a test.

Thanks again,

Rob
Old September 23rd, 2009, 08:46 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Unfortunately...I can't hook up the Marshall on my XL-H1 through component connectors...
The standard cable that comes with the XL-H1 has cinch connectors, as the Marshall has bajonet connetors (see the pic). Too bad!
Attached Thumbnails
No camera-info (Canon XL-H1) on my Marshall V-LCD70P-3GSDI 7" monitor-marshall-v-lcd70p-3gsdi_connections.jpg  
Old September 23rd, 2009, 08:58 AM   #5
Trustee

Rob, yes you can! Get some rca-bnc connectors, like this one:
Amazon.com: Q-See QSRCBN6 6 Pack RCA-BNC Connectors: Camera & Photo
Old September 23rd, 2009, 09:52 AM   #6
Major Player

Hi Rob,

I also had the same problem. I am using an Ikan V8000 that does not have RCA connectors. As Per suggested, I went to my nearest store that supplies TVs and hobby electronics. The little RCA-BNC adapters are easy to use and not very expensive (needless to say you will need three of them).

And as you have shown, you don't need an extra component cable for the monitor output on the camera, one comes with the camera. It is short, but if you need the camera info, presumably you will be close to the camera anyway.

If someone else needs to see a monitor, the port at the bottom back of the camera also is component and the camera comes with a special cable for that as well. In this case you can hook that port to an LCD TV screen most of which also have component inputs.

This still leaves the HD-SDI available if you are doing uncompressed capture or if you should get a nanoflash to hook to the camera.

The end result is massive tangle of wires, but it works.

Alan
Old September 23rd, 2009, 09:54 AM   #7
Major Player

Hi Again Rob,

I just noticed you showed the cable for the port at the back of the camera. You will need to use the special short cable for the second monitor output. It has a metal plug, not the black plug. It also should have come with the camera.

Good luck,
Alan
Old September 24th, 2009, 02:22 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Thanks Per Johan for the hint!

Alan, there is no other cable supplied with my XL-H1 (remember, it's not a XL-H1s but a previous version). Isn't it possible with the Canon DTC-1000 cable in the picture?
And which port do you mean? The one made for the Canon FU-1000 viewfinder?
Old September 24th, 2009, 03:48 AM   #9
Major Player

Hi Rob,

Yes, you need to use the port designed for the Canon FU-1000 monochrome viewfinder. I believe your camera also has that socket. I have attached a picture of the H1 (not H1s) second viewfinder socket. At least on my camera, when the colour monitor is hooked up to that socket, it delivers a full colour image with the camera information. In the picture of my monitor you can see the short cable and the RCA/BNC adapters that I had to use.

Alan
Attached Images

Old September 24th, 2009, 04:58 PM   #10
Major Player

2 things to note:

- That component chord that connects to the EVF2 port only comes with the newer XL H1s and only works with that model.

- The output is Standard Def only ... but all your view finder functions (such as peaking, viewfinder info, etc.) will translate through to your external monitor.

Hope this helps.
Michael Galvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2009, 07:57 PM   #11
Starway Pictures

I don't think ANY camera outputs display-info through the HD-SDI ports. Do they?
Robert Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2009, 02:35 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Good afternoon,

there is one problem. If you use a FU 1000 view finder you have to use the lower port for it!

Unfortunately the plug faces up and you can not use the upper port for the Marshall or small hd!! Not sure if you even could use the upper one, anyone know??

If I use the component out (and it has way to much extra cable to deal with) I then do not get the view finder information.

any solutions?
Old October 1st, 2009, 07:21 AM   #13
Regular Crew

With the 'old' XL-H1 (mine), you can use the standard component port at the back of the shoulder mount. Then it gives camera info on the monitor. And I can still use my FU-1000 viewfinder. Alan, the cable you show didn't come with the first versions of the XL-H1. I have to use the long Canon DTC-1000 cable for it. But it is good enough when I want to monitor the shots my cameraman makes.

For me this case is closed guys, thanks for helping me out!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders