DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Best settings for filming for wedding (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/443987-best-settings-filming-wedding.html)

Mitchell Yazdani September 26th, 2009 11:44 PM

Best settings for filming for wedding

Hi,

I am new here, Can some one with wedding videography experience please tell me what our the best settings (presets and none preset, gain, white balance, etc) for producing wedding video using Canon XL-H1A?

1- Best setting for the Groom preparation
2- Best setting for the Bride preparation
3- Best setting for the Church
4- Best setting for the Park and location shoot
5- Low light Reception
6- bridal waltz and dance clip

I searched the forum but I couldn't find any thing recent and complete.

Also what is the best PC base program for capturing and editing Canon HDV, I have got CS4 Productions package, can you scene capture with Premiere.

Does it take longer or edit HDV compare to DV, if so much longer, should we charge more?

Many thanks in advance
Mitchell

http://www.iconfilmproductions.com.au

Dale Guthormsen September 27th, 2009 09:31 AM

Mitchell,

I do not use premiere anymore but it will scene detect for you as you capture, I am pretty sure of that.

Hdv requires a higher end computer to edit the mt2 files. You can convert to cineform and then edit it more easily on an older dual core computer.

I purchased Neoscene and use it for capturing all my hdv (a little over 100 dollars). the cineform codec places it in 4:2:2 color space which also makes for better color correcting.

As for settings I would recomend going to the list of presets load a few up and run a color test and determine which one you like.

I keep 5 settings in the camera all the time, but to be honest I use one 90% of the time and two others on occassions.

I use a setting that gives good color and allows for movement in either direction while color correcting.

Go to the sticky on presets: Most people like richer colour, take a look at "disjecta"

Bottom line I would like to keep the looks of my video, regardless of location, looking the same so I would keep the colors the same, changing sharpness and face recognition for close up work of bride and groom.

Make certain to white balance, do not use auto white balance.

I am sure there are others that will give you more useful information as well.

I could email you my main preset if you want.

John Estcourt September 27th, 2009 10:00 AM

I dont think anyone could possibly give you a definative answer to your questions because the answer is, it depends on the lighting at each location, although Dales advice was correct.
I personally dont like presets as I prefer to colour grade in post.
If this is a new camera then filming a wedding with it would be a seriously brave move especially if someone is paying you.
Once you know the camera then the answers will be obvious to you yourself and it will become personal preference and experience that will tell you what settings to use as the lighting, location changes.

Mitchell Yazdani September 27th, 2009 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Estcourt (Post 1405238)
If this is a new camera then filming a wedding with it would be a seriously brave move especially if someone is paying you.

Thank you both for the messages, it is brand new camera, as they only purchased SD video so I shot the wedding on 16:9 SD, and I used my XL1s camera as well, I will move to HD as soon as I am more confident, although I have already shot sme corporate jobs with it but one wedding only.

Cheers
Mitchell

Oren Arieli September 28th, 2009 12:35 PM

If the goal of any production (be it corporate or wedding) is to capture the most faithfully accurate video and audio, then you should treat a wedding the same as you would any other event. Minimize the gain whenever possible, keep the colors accurate (by white balancing), mind the audio carefully, compose properly...etc. I hesitate to offer any 'best settings' because what works for me might not suit you or your style.
If you're good with your editing software, you might be better off shooting a flat image (low contrast and saturation without too much sharpening). The XH-A1 will easily accomplish that if you don't use presets. This allows you the most leway in post to color (grade) your image and pull details from the shadows or highlights.
Sounds like you need a few practice sessions at weddings. I don't know anyone in the industry who keeps the same settings for each and every shoot. Part of it is artistic, the other part is technical. First, you need to know the capabilities and limitations of the camera. There aren't many shortcuts to that route. Practice shooting at various locations, offer your services as 2nd camera (cheap or free) to more experienced wedding shooters. Don't aim to copy someone else setting-for-setting. Figure what works best for yourself (and your clients).