DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   EVF Technical question (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/470940-evf-technical-question.html)

Yalon Benhabib January 13th, 2010 01:23 PM

EVF Technical question

Hi all,

Does anyone knows the pinout of the EVF connector on the XL-H1 body ?

thanks !

Gilles Debord April 1st, 2010 03:51 PM

Hi

The CRT or the LCD ?

Yalon Benhabib April 19th, 2010 10:39 AM

hi, sorry, what do you mean by CRT or LCD ?

Steve Phillipps April 19th, 2010 10:42 AM

Gilles must be thinking about a different camera - no LCD on the XL-H1.
Steve

Marty Hudzik April 20th, 2010 08:02 PM

Or Giles is talking about the fact that the H1 has an output for the LCD/Viewfinder and one for the CRT viewfinder add-on. I've always wanted the pinout information myself but apparently Canon keeps this well guarded.

Yalon Benhabib April 21st, 2010 12:50 PM

5 Attachment(s)
i started investigating the EVF to determine its pinout so here is my current status in the attached pictures.
I still have to find out about the Sharp ic which seemd like some kind of LVDS receiver ?
also maybe th LCD panel itself - 5J001638W ?
if any one has some info ... please add your comments.
if i find anything furher, i will post.

Wolfgang Neun April 22nd, 2010 01:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Yalon,
I have attached a document which seems to be a parts list and diagram of the b&w viewfinder. Don't know where I found it but maybe it is of some help to your work.
Wolfgang

Yalon Benhabib April 22nd, 2010 10:47 AM

hi Wolfgang,

thanks for the schematics - it is for a CRT type EVF, i do not know it but it seems an old type. do you know if it is compatible with the XLH1 ? does it have the same connector (it does have 20 pins on its connector but i dont know its shape and compatibility)?
to my understanding of the schematics of the circuit board ( page 13 ) and the technology of the XLH1's EVF , it will not suit the signals coming from the XLH1... so i dont think i can make something that may helo us understand the XLH1 output...

Michael Galvan April 24th, 2010 11:23 PM

Hi Yalon,

Is there any particular reason in looking into the viewfinder like this?

Are you trying to find a way to install a higher resolution screen or something along those lines?

I'd be VERY interested in that.

Yalon Benhabib April 25th, 2010 09:07 AM

Michael,
exactly !

Michael Galvan April 25th, 2010 06:35 PM

I wish you well!

I will keep my eye on this thread!

I dearly love my XL H1S ... only thing killing me about it is the LCD/Viewfinder. Wish it was up to par with what's out there these days.

Only hope I have left is whatever LCD/Viewfinder they come out with on the XL successor will also be compatible with the H1(s).

Michael Galvan April 26th, 2010 07:08 AM

Now that I think about this, this should really help those with the original H1.

Focusing on the H1S is much easier than the original H1, due to the ability to set 2 levels of variable peaking in the viewfinder. I set mine to a really fine line that shows on the focused area. But a higher res viewfinder is always better!

I forgot that the original H1 only has a peaking option, and it was fairly thick.

Joe Batt April 30th, 2010 03:16 PM

wow

I'm always amazed at the technical skills some of members of this site have. Does anything go unanswered? (rhetorical)

Kevin Martorana April 30th, 2010 07:38 PM

I'd be interested to.....with an original XL-H1...the viewfinder was certainly one of the WEAKEST links of the camera.
Wow...to think of being able to replace that LCD viewfinder with a new...sharper version....OH LA LA !!

Michael Galvan December 4th, 2010 01:47 PM

How is this coming along? Has there been any progress in finding a way to replace the LCD in the viewfinder?