EF adapter for the XL H1A at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old February 14th, 2010, 05:35 PM   #1
Regular Crew

EF adapter for the XL H1A

I have heard that the ef adapter is not compatable with the XL Hia and s camcorders. Does anyone out there know, for sure, if this is true? Is anyone using it successfully? Thanks folks.

Gene...
Old February 14th, 2010, 07:12 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Good evening,

The ef adapter works just fine on the xlh1.
Old February 15th, 2010, 07:20 AM   #3
Major Player

Hi Eugene,

Not sure about all the differences between the XL-H1 and the XL-H1A, but the adapter does work with the XL-H1A. I haven't used it much, but did some experimentation to determine its capabilities. I could not take still photos with it. Whenever I tried, I got a message in the viewfinder, "THIS LENS HAS NO STILL SHOOTING CAPABILITY". Auto focus does not work either, but Image Stabilization works normally. The adapter takes a 2CR5 battery. Two were included. It powers up when the camera is powered on and in a recording mode. It does not power up in VCR mode or without a lens attached to it.
The Canon web-site has a big list of compatible lenses. It lists the 10-22mm EF-S lens. I happen to have this lens and it cannot be fitted to the adapter. I tried out my three L series lenses (70-200, 100-400, 24-105) and they all worked fine. Tried a Sigma 50mm 1:2.8 DG Macro lens also, and it produced a good image.
The warning "HD INCOMPATIBLE LENS" appears momentarily if you power up in an HD mode or switch from SD to HD mode; however, all of the HD/SD/frame rate selections recorded as normal, just like with the stock lens. The HD was captured to Vegas Pro 8 as .m2t files, so I'm not sure why the warning appears, other than that the lenses aren't rated as HD. Bottom line, not using HD lenses doesn't prevent you from recording in HD mode.
Per the Canon web-site, "This allows users to attach Canon EF lenses to the XL-H1. The difference in size between the XL-H1's 1/3-inch CCD's and 35mm film means that the effective focal length of still camera lenses is multiplied by 8.8x (4:3)/7.2x(16:9)." I did not test the 4:3 format.
Using a dSLR (Canon 50D) with a 1.6 crop factor sensor, and a 400mm lens, I took a shot of a wall that was 260 feet away from me. The scene recorded about 15 feet of the wall's width. The same lens attached to the XL-H1A with the adaper, provided a scene width that was 4 feet wide from a distance of 260 feet.
The camera doesn't need to be removed from the tripod to install/remove the adapter.
The 1.4x Extender also works with this adapter.
Attached Thumbnails
EF adapter for the XL H1A-ef-adapter.jpg  
Mark Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2010, 07:49 AM   #4
Major Player

EF Adapter XL Manual

Multi-lingual manual....
Attached Files
File Type: pdf xl_ef_adapter.pdf (1.82 MB, 2014 views)
Old February 15th, 2010, 10:19 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thank you Dale and Mark. I am considering purchasing this camera and needed to know to help me decide betweeen the XL and XH series.

Gene...
Old February 15th, 2010, 10:45 AM   #6
Regular Crew

One last thing: On the XL H1a and S the iris adjustment is now on the lense. When the adapter is attached how are you manually adjusting the iris? Thanks.

Gene...
Old February 16th, 2010, 02:40 AM   #7
Major Player

Iris Control

Eugene,

The iris can also be controlled by a small dial at the forward, left-hand side of the camera.
Attached Thumbnails
EF adapter for the XL H1A-iris-control.jpg  
Old February 16th, 2010, 07:52 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Great, thanks again. You have been of immense help.

Gene...
Old February 16th, 2010, 05:49 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Good evening,

Just a few thoughts:

If you are going to go to bigger telephoto and zoom lenses you will need a rail of some sort to support the lens!!!

I used a cavivision rod support first and that just did not work in helping steady the camera.

the biggest issue is the weight on your ef adaptor.

You can make a wooden support if all you will be using is a single lens like a 100 to 400 zoom. it is cheap, light and it works. However if you will be changing lenses then you will need to find a used ron's rail or such. sadly he does not make them any more.

[I] got so frustrated with this I broke down and had a machinest in Belgium build me a rail.

With the bigger lenses you should get a 1x sight, mount it on your hot shoe and it will get you on tag=rget every time. I bouhgt mine at wall mart for 40 bucks. and got a shoe adapter for it.

Photosolve Home > Products > Xtend-a-Sight

this man made my rail, it was not cheap but it is excellent.

Andree Gothe <andree@mail.dk>

Oh yea, The lens foot and the tripod mount on the camera are not in line with each other. If you go to acquire a rail of some sort or build one, remember you need lateral movement on the front end!!!

Dale Guthormsen
Attached Thumbnails
EF adapter for the XL H1A-camera-003.jpg   EF adapter for the XL H1A-camera-001.jpg  

Old February 17th, 2010, 11:56 AM   #10
Trustee

Ronsrail in USA was a good (if expensive) support system for super telephoto Canon and Nikon lenses on the XL camcorders, but sadly he no longer makes them.

For those of you in UK who aren't prepared to make their own heavy duty support, the engineering workshop at True Lens Services will build you any lens & tripod support to fit your requirements:

True Lens Services

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders