Unable to Inialize Capture Device at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old July 24th, 2010, 09:26 PM   #1
New Boot

Unable to Inialize Capture Device

I have FCS2. The FCP is 6.0.1

I have not used the software for some time and not since I upgraded to SL and am on OS 10.6.4

FCP loads up and seems to function OK apart from connecting to the Canon XL-H1. I have tried an old Panasonic DV camcorder and it connects and captures OK to FCP.

Never had a problem with connecting the camera before installing SL and the Canon still hooks up fine and captures in iMovie HD.

I am not sure whether the issue is a software one brought on by installing SL or whether it is a setup problem.

The error message (which I am sure you are all familiar with) says that the
"Device is not connected or the capture preset is not setup correctly etc."

I am in Australia and use 25fps. The tape is recorded in HDV25F. I am connecting via firewire 400

My A/V Settings are as follows:
Sequence Preset: HDV - 1080p25
Capture Preset : HDV
Device Control Preset : HDV FirewWire 25 fps (have tried a number of these options)
Video Playback: none
Audio Playback : Default

I have trashed the preferences but that did not help.

As soon as I connect the camera to the Mac the Playback Standard option in the Signal Setup "greys out" regardless of whether FCP is running or not. I have tried the various suggestions from this forum (switching off the Mac, camera etc) but that hasn't helped.
I am unsure if this is normal though as I never checked it before as I didn't have a problem back then.

I have tied the Playback Std in the Signal Setup of the H1 on Auto, HDV and DV but makes no difference.
Current settings in the Signal Setup are as follows:-
Time Code : Rec-Run
Playback Std: Auto
Comp Out.: 1080i/576i
SDI Output: Off
SDI SPec: Auto
AV->DV: Off
HV Down-Conv: Off

I visited the FCS2 upgrade page and find a number of updates from 6.0.3 upwards but no 6.0.2. Is 6.0.2 an upgrade rather than and update? If versions above that are available at that site then I wouldn't think it was an upgrade and should be available free. Presumably you need to install each upgrade in turn. Where can I get 6.0.2 ?

Can anyone help me on this problem please. I have just got back from a 6 week trip to Canada and Alaska and have 10 hours of tape to edit and have not got anywhere in the last 2 days.

Cheers

Colin
Old July 25th, 2010, 09:05 AM   #2
Major Player

Have you tried capturing in iMovie? Maybe if this works it would demonstrate that the problem lies with FCP.

Just a thought from another (extreme) amateur,

Ron
Ronald Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2010, 02:36 PM   #3
New Boot

Done that

Ron,

Yep done that already.(see initial post)

Also I can hook up a Panasonic DV camcorder to FCP which works fine as well.

So either a setting in the Canon or FCP but cannot work out where.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders