Shoulder mount Canon HD cameras dissappearing from retailers - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old January 9th, 2011, 07:02 AM   #16
Trustee

I agree, as long as I am distributing my videos on DVD's and the web, I am in no hurry to ditch my beloved XL-2. I have taken her into some very hazardous situations (US EPA hazardous waste sites), and she continues to provide me with excellant audo/video. As long as Canon will continue to service the XL-2, I will keep shooting with it. Bob
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2011, 07:21 AM   #17
Major Player

Thanks Jean-Philippe, I am in the market but am watching closely, I have the money in hand but will be using a nano so it kind of knocks the A model out. So far I am hesitant to pull the trigger with NAB right around the corner. I am leaning toward an XLH1S with nano or an EX3 by itself. Still watching the economy and piecing together the business model along with matching the editing software. I am taking my time, maybe to much, but I am hoping the F3 and some other new cameras will push some used gear onto the market.

Admittedly I am probably over thinking everything.

Not quite sure why I can't warm up to the JVC cams. I guess for one they come with no battery. Everytime I try to piece together JVC it doesn't add up. The XLH1S used 9k with nano plus it has 20x lens. PMW EX3 can be used at 35mbps as is and is around 8400 new. I am trying to put my finger on why the JVC's are not appealing, maybe 1/3 CCD's, 14x lens ?

Last edited by Don Parrish; January 9th, 2011 at 07:52 AM.
Don Parrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2011, 02:50 PM   #18
Tourist

I decided to jump in and buy a refurbished xlh1s before they all disappeared. Decision really was made when a demo wide lens became available. All I need to add is a flash recorder to have all the versatility of both tape and flash. I also prefer the body style of the xlh1 series. Good luck in whatever you decide to do.
Stephen Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2011, 04:29 PM   #19
Major Player

I would love to see a side by XLH1S/nano vs PMW EX3. The XLH1S is a great design, I shot for many years on the XL1S. It just needs the SDHC or compact flash option.
Old January 13th, 2011, 05:23 PM   #20
Major Player

I bought a 6x wide lens from Birns & Sawer recently, through their ebay lisings with no reserve price. It was brand new and had never been opened. $610! I couldn't believe it. It made me think that the XLH1 has come to the end of the road when shops start flogging off all the gear for prices like that. That lens coupled with the Nanoflash makes an amazing image (especially for documentary / eng work).

Anyway, time to start stocking up on DV tapes - the end is nigh.
Simon Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2011, 06:15 PM   #21
Major Player

$610!!!!

For the 6x Wide Angle? Do they have another one? I'd buy in a second for that price!
Michael Galvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2011, 06:17 PM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Parrish View Post
I would love to see a side by XLH1S/nano vs PMW EX3. The XLH1S is a great design, I shot for many years on the XL1S. It just needs the SDHC or compact flash option.
I use my XLH1S/Nanoflash combo a lot for my broadcast work. It really provides a fantastic picture!
Old January 14th, 2011, 02:53 PM   #23
Trustee

DV Tapes disappearing too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Wood View Post
Anyway, time to start stocking up on DV tapes - the end is nigh.
Now that got me a wee bit worried as my stock is getting rather low. When I started checking my usual sources, I had some difficulty in finding the everyday JVC M-DV60 tapes which I normally use. After a bit of searching online I think I have found a bulk source, and an order has been accepted.

Anyone else in the UK finding some brands of DV tapes a bit hard to source? There still seem to be plenty of places to get Sonys.
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2011, 06:24 AM   #24
Major Player

It looks like B & H discontinued the XL2 yesterday. It had a very long run for an SD.
Old January 18th, 2011, 02:22 AM   #25
Regular Crew

XL-H1... does it worth now?

I'm interested in buying an XL-H1, i used an XL2 (without previously having used a pro or prosumer camera) and i always found it excellent... does it worth buying an Xl-h1 those days? used can be found for around 3000€
Honestly i tried a few times a canon 5d but i don't like it from the ergonomic side.
Michele Coser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2011, 05:20 AM   #26
Major Player

Michele,

The XL-H1 had a few issues from what I have read here. The XL-H1S is an improved version and apparently is easier to focus and has a better viewfinder. The XLH1S is getting hard to find in stores or for sale used.

Looks like the XL2 is now gone from Canon USA site.
Old January 18th, 2011, 08:40 AM   #27
Regular Crew

Yes i know there are some improvements on the h1s, but i guess the image quality is the same? Plus is nearly impossible to find a used one.
Michele Coser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2011, 01:19 PM   #28
Major Player

Yes, I think people who have them like them and are holding onto them (I know I am).

I would think an XL successor will have to be announced before people begin letting their's go.
Old January 26th, 2011, 04:59 PM   #29
Regular Crew

XLH1 series has disappeared from Canon Australia website also, leaving just the 300's and 100's.

I'm hoping that with NAB being imminent they have the file-based version with interchangeable lenses up their sleeve. It would be a shame if they didn't, and end of quite an era.

We'll certainly be hanging onto our two original XLH1's until they stop working!

Matthew P
Matthew Petersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2011, 03:51 PM   #30
New Boot

I have a XLH1 unit with the stock lens for sale

Hi Michele,
I have a XLH1 unit with the stock lens.
with NTSC/PAL mod.
Only used for one Music Video project... still in brand new condition.
Let me know.
Cheers,
Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele Coser View Post
I'm interested in buying an XL-H1, i used an XL2 (without previously having used a pro or prosumer camera) and i always found it excellent... does it worth buying an Xl-h1 those days? used can be found for around 3000€
Honestly i tried a few times a canon 5d but i don't like it from the ergonomic side.
Alex Tosuni is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders