Shoulder mount Canon HD cameras dissappearing from retailers at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old October 11th, 2010, 05:23 AM   #1
Major Player

Shoulder mount Canon HD cameras dissappearing from retailers

I must have been asleep at the switch, B & H and Newegg have both discontinued the XLH1S and A line of camcorders. What's up with that ? Funny thing the SD version XL2 always seems to be available, must have been a lot of leftovers from people waiting for HD cams.

xlh1s

xlh1a

Newegg.com - xlh1a
Don Parrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2010, 08:41 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Hopefully this means they will release a shoulder mounted version of the XF305
Jonathan Palfrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2010, 03:46 AM   #3
Regular Crew

It is hard to predict what Canon will do at times. They brought the XL-H1 out long before they did a fixed lens HDV camera, but in the case of the transition from HI-8 to mini-DV they dropped the L2 interchangeable lens camera several months before they brought out the XL-1. They did continue manufacturing a black body version, but I don't know for how long they did so. I can't recall the exact model--it was something like LX-2000.

I wrote to them stressing the importance of an interchangeable lens for the serious wildlife videographer, but of course they refused to say as to whether such a model was planned. Now it looks like we are in the same situation again, except it does seem almost certain that one or more interchangeable lens models will soon be announced, but I can't quite understand whey they discontinue the one model before the new one is available.
Old October 14th, 2010, 01:14 PM   #4
Space Hipster

Yeah, I did notice the missing cameras on B&H's line-up. So, does this mean the end of HDV from Canon?
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2010, 06:37 AM   #5
Major Player

Sounds like it.

Whatever the next iteration of the XL series will be, it will most likely use their XF codec and be tapeless.
Michael Galvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2010, 06:57 AM   #6
Wrangler

No doubt tapeless is the way of the future, but the XL cameras still show as current on the Canon web site.

I don't know why it shows as discontinued at B&H, although it has happened before (recently) that there was an erroneous "discontinued" entry on their web site (See: http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdc...continued.html). I suppose it is possible, but I really doubt that the XL is being discontinued by Canon at this time.

There's ALWAYS something in the pipeline and Canon does not typically pre-announce more than a couple months. Even the XF 100/105 announcement was unusually long-lead for Canon.

We'll just have to wait and see.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2010, 07:40 AM   #7
Obstreperous Rex

The new 100 series announcement was definitely a long lead,
which is uncharacteristic for Canon USA. That happened only
because of the once-every-five-years Canon Expo. Without it,
the announcement would not have been made until November
or December at the earliest.

As long as the product pages for XL H series cameras appear
on the Canon USA web site -- which they do as of today -- then
they are most definitely *not* discontinued. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2011, 05:16 PM   #8
Wrangler

...and the time has come.

All XL cameras have disappeared from the Canon Professional Camcorders page, including the XL2 while surprisingly the GL2 is still there. The 6X lens for the XL cameras is also still listed at $3k.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2011, 05:28 PM   #9
Major Player

B & H de-listed them from there website a couple of days ago, I guessed something was up.
Old January 5th, 2011, 05:40 PM   #10
Major Player

Well hopefully a shoulder-mount interchangeable lens HD camcorder is in the near future from Canon.
Michael Galvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2011, 05:52 PM   #11
Trustee

Still listed on the UK site Canon Professional Camcorders - Camcorders - Canon UK, but watch this space.

Quote:
Range:
XF305
XF300
XF105
XF100
XA10
XL H1S
XL H1A
XH A1s
XH G1s
XL2
XM2
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2011, 09:35 AM   #12
Trustee

Seems like I timed it right...

I used 50% Canon XL camcorders and 50% Canon DSLRs for both of my latest two films in the GlobetrotterWorld series released during 2010, but have recently sold all the XL equipment and lenses, including my prized Canon AF 6X HD lens, and now gone 100% DSLR for 2011.
Old January 8th, 2011, 07:02 AM   #13
Major Player

What is amazing about this whole thing is the lack of used units available. It seems plenty of XLH1 cameras are out there but a search of the southeast reveals no craigslist entries for the XLH1S. Even EBAY has only one listing for an XLH1S, that is amazing.
Old January 8th, 2011, 01:50 PM   #14
Trustee

Don, Are you looking at buying one? I might have an XLH1A in like new condition for sale soon...
Old January 9th, 2011, 01:43 AM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Parrish View Post
What is amazing about this whole thing is the lack of used units available. It seems plenty of XLH1 cameras are out there but a search of the southeast reveals no craigslist entries for the XLH1S. Even EBAY has only one listing for an XLH1S, that is amazing.
I am very satisfied with my XLH1S and don't plan to sell it. It could be that people are holding on to them...
Michael Galvan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders