DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Apple Ninja (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/490687-apple-ninja.html)

Harry Bromley-Davenport January 25th, 2011 04:21 PM

Apple Ninja

Does this thing do us XL-H1 owners any good?

It only accepts HDMI. I'm wondering if there is some way to convert the Canon SDI output to take advantage of this and, if so, whether it might be possible to record uncompressed and in 24f/p.

Any thoughts?

Harry

Michael Galvan January 26th, 2011 09:03 AM

Yeah, you will have to get an HD-SDI to HDMI converter, but that would be another piece of hardware to lug on your camera, power, etc.

This Ninja looks interesting, especially because of its price (and the fact that it can also double as a monitor).

But until it comes out and can be tested, I still think the Nanoflash is the best option for the XL at the moment. It is small and can be mounted on the back bracket of the camera, has timecode start trigger for "thoughtless" operation, and most importantly from a workflow standpoint has live 3:2 pulldown removal for true 23.976 files. With this Ninja, it will record what comes in, so if you do a lot of 24P with the XL, be ready to have to do a lot of pulldown removal in post.

Harry Bromley-Davenport January 26th, 2011 11:40 AM

I understand that this Ninja thing is 10 bit and the Nano is 8 bit. I guess that I'm really looking for a cheaper alternative to Nano, although I take your point that the Ninja isn't out yet and untested. But it's difficult to imagine that it will be a piece of junk.

I do indeed shoot everything at 24p, but I understand that Cinema Tools can perform pulldown removal very fast - is that so? Is it as fast as, say, conforming 30p to 24p which is instantaneous.

And can anyone give me a price on an SDI to HDMI converter that is small enough and battery powered?

Best

Harry

Michael Galvan January 27th, 2011 02:21 PM

The main issue with using Cinema Tools is you have to make sure that each file starts at the 1st 'A' progressive frame for it to successfully do the removal, otherwise it could do ti wrong and you'll get a messed up 23.976 file.

All these extra steps with Cinema Tools in post becomes tiresome vey quickly.

Harry Bromley-Davenport January 27th, 2011 03:56 PM

Hmmm.

Doesn't sound too good.

Thanks for the reply.

Harry.

Harry Bromley-Davenport February 3rd, 2011 01:07 PM

Michael,

Does the Canon XLH1 not start or output each file/shot with an "A" progressive frame?

If it does, then could I not batch convert my dailies in Cinema Tools all in one wallop?

Hope you have time to reply, my liege.

Harry

Shaggy Franks February 25th, 2011 04:09 AM

Re: Apple Ninja

Why not look into the AJA Ki Pro or the Ki Pro mini?
Its 10 bit and it has all the connection you need plus its ProRes!