Solid State Recording add-on: suggestions? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old January 26th, 2011, 10:14 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Solid State Recording add-on: suggestions?

Hi folks, I have a pair of XLH1's (original).

Last year we tried to move to a tapeless workflow to speed things up a bit at ingestion. I bought a pair of Shining Citidisk CFR (otherwise badged as Wise CFR) for about $1k (AUD) each.

Well, it's January and I still can't get these devices to settle down and record a proper HDV stream without dropped frames and lost sound. Now I seem to have just fried them both in a firmware upgrade that did not complete. Wonderful.

"I give up".

I'd like to hear from any other XLH1 users who have some sort of tapeless add-on device, and have an opinion on it good or bad.

I realise some on this forum use the NanoFlash but I don't think my budget will stretch that far!

Any advice welcomed.

Matthew P
Matthew Petersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2011, 03:58 AM   #2
Major Player

The datavideo dn-60 works well enough. And it is pretty inexpensive.

I have one, but the kind of work I was doing (involving a lot of running and gunning in remote areas) did not suit the device. The reason being that the firewire connection is a bit flimsy (on the camera itself), and it could get worked loose (or knocked off by branches say).

Obviously, the datavideo dn-60 does not offer any improvement of the image quality. I did have a few issues with the timecode, but I believe this has been fixed in a new firmware update (which I have not got around to installing).

The datavideo uses CF cards. It uses AA batteries which is quite handy as you can buy them anywhere (but obviously the best solution is to have a load of high quality rechargeables in your bag).

I eventually got a nanoflash, but I still use the datavideo occasionally when I dont need the superior image made by the nano.

I sometimes use the datavideo if I need to capture something from an old tape, I just plug it in, play the tape on the camera and capture the footage directly without going through the computer. This is handy when you are traveling for instance (bearing in mind that most computers are unable to play the superior footage from the nanoflash unless they have certain programs installed).
Simon Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2011, 10:59 AM   #3
Major Player

Solid vote for the nanoFlash here as well. Since you have the pre-XLH1S version as we do (no timecode or audio via the HD-SDI), there is a little more cabling to do, but the results of a wide range of highly improved video AND audio file-based workflow are well worth it.

4:2:2 color space in a wide range of data rates depending on need as well as 24 bit audio are big improvements over HDV 4:2:0 and 16bit audio.
John Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2011, 12:00 PM   #4
Trustee

I use to use a Sony MRC-1 with my Canon XL H1a and it worked flawlessly.

If you could swing it a nanoFlash would give far superior PQ however.

-Garrett
Old January 27th, 2011, 02:15 PM   #5
Major Player

Yes, I know you mentioned that the Nano isn't an option, but maybe spend some time saving for it instead if you can?

If your intention is much higher quality video/sound as well as to greatly extend the life of the camera, the Nanoflash is your best bet. A FW based tapeless recorder will only give you a tapeless workflow and not the substantial quality increase that the Nano can provide.

If the Nano is simply not an option, then maybe one of those new CF recorders that were made specific for the Canon from Focus Enhancements. You can read up on them on Canon's pro video page on their site.
Michael Galvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2011, 11:37 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks guys, I really appreciate you taking the time to reply.

I've been lusting after the Nano since two NAB's ago, I'm just not sure I can stretch to that expense (and it's not my money).

Given that our cams have just been discontinued by Canon, I guess I should be think about when their end-of-life might be, and what might replace them.

thanks again, and I'll do some research on those suggestions!

Matthew P
Matthew Petersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2011, 08:34 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Datavideo DN-60 users please reply

When using the DN-60 how do you start recording? By pressing record button on the camera or button on the DN-60? Does it depend on if the tape is loaded into camera or not?
Waldi Krasowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2011, 10:16 AM   #8
Major Player

You have 3 options:

1) Set synch to tape
2) Record on power up

By not selecting either of the above options you can alternatively just go to 'record mode' and and press 'record' manually. I used manual record quite a bit, as you can record with no tape inside the machine. The only thing about that setting is that if you are using tape as a backup archive then you need to press record on both the camera AND the datavideo, plus you have to stop them both manually. Takes a bit of getting used to, and on a couple of occasions I realized that I was still recording on the datavideo after I had stopped the camera.

If there is no tape in the camera then you simply press record on the datavideo.

A 16gb cf card would roughly give you 01.15 worth of .M2T footage.
Old February 1st, 2011, 10:44 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Thank you Simon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Wood View Post
2) Record on power up
You mean on power up of DN-60?
Old February 1st, 2011, 10:52 AM   #10
Major Player

If you select 'Record on power up' then (provided that your settings are correct, there is an empty bin, and the datavideo is receiving a signal) it will automatically start recording once it is powered on.

If the camera is off and the datavideo is turned on it will not start recording as it wont do so unless it is receiving a valid signal.
Old February 1st, 2011, 01:21 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Thank you, now it is clear. I will look around if I can get it here in Poland.

PS
I just wonder if it would work with SDXC to CF adapter?
I have already several high capacity SD cards, and no CF...
Old February 7th, 2011, 11:04 PM   #12
Regular Crew

I doubt it. Compact flash cards have a higher transfer rate that SDHC AFAIK, so an SD in an adapter may not be able to keep up.

Matthew
Matthew Petersen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders