DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   No Any Stock left for Canon XL H1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/491684-no-any-stock-left-canon-xl-h1.html)

Haitham Lawati February 13th, 2011 06:23 AM

No Any Stock left for Canon XL H1

I have surfed many websites including bhphotovideo and creativevideo.co.uk seeking for Canon XL H1s but it seems that this model has been discontinued and no longer exists. Any idea if new models, or upgrade versions, are to be introduced by Canon?

Simon Wood February 13th, 2011 06:56 AM

The XLH1 series has been discontinued. But old stocks can still be found in shops. Second hand units are also available at reasonable prices. A lot of XLH1 users (such as myself) are using external recorders like the Nanoflash to extend the life of the camera.

Canon has not released any info about a replacement model as yet. Although, it would make sense that they may yet release a tapeless "XL-H2" with the same codec as the XF series. But no word from canon about this possibility...

Colin McDonald February 13th, 2011 06:58 AM

Canon has introduced several new models recently Canon XF105 - Professional Camcorders - Canon UK and
Canon XF100 - Professional Camcorders - Canon UK
- these should be available shortly at least in US.

Before that there was
Canon XF305 - Professional Camcorders - Canon UK and
Canon XF300 - Professional Camcorders - Canon UK which are available now.

Also the XA-10
Canon XA10 - Professional Camcorders - Canon UK is to be available here in April.

All of the recent older ones including the XL-H1 are still listed on the Canon UK website
Canon Professional Camcorders - Camcorders - Canon UK
If you really still want a tape based camera (I just bought one myself) then maybe if you email Canon they could tell you who still has one.

Chris Hurd February 13th, 2011 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simon Wood (Post 1617716)
...it would make sense that they may yet release a tapeless "XL-H2" with the same codec as the XF series. But no word from canon about this possibility...

Indeed, an XL F body would make sense. But it has yet to happen,
and I'm starting to doubt that it will. My prediction is that if we don't see
an XL F model at NAB2011 coming up in April, then most likely we never will.

To the OP: Haitham, I think your best bet if you really want an XL H1S is
to buy a used one and have it thoroughly checked by Canon factory service.

Haitham Lawati February 13th, 2011 09:12 AM

Thanks all of you for the replies.
Chris Hurd, in fact I was really amazed when I came across the outstanding features of Canon XF300 which was announced almost a year ago, but the main two features which are missing in this model is lens interchange and the shoulder mount. I wonder if Canon is planning to release a new model with same physical attributes of XL H1s and technical specifications of XF300, that's why I started this thread.
Anyhow thanks a lot.

Willard Hill February 14th, 2011 09:13 PM

If I recall correctly they discontinued the L2 in early 1997 and didn't announce the XL-1 until November of that year. Maybe they are going to follow a similar pattern this time around, but I won't be surprised if Chris's scenario is right.

I can't think though that they would drop the interchangeable lens concept, since so many other companies are making them now--it would sort of be abdicating the field to them, but I do wonder if the days of the XL sized sensors are over, or will they give us two cameras, one based on the 1/3" sensor and another on a larger one.

Malcolm J Williams February 22nd, 2011 07:05 AM

Re: No Any Stock left for Canon XL H1

Quote:

Originally Posted by Haitham Lawati (Post 1617710)
I have surfed many websites including bhphotovideo and creativevideo.co.uk seeking for Canon XL H1s but it seems that this model has been discontinued and no longer exists. Any idea if new models, or upgrade versions, are to be introduced by Canon?

try www.provisuldirect.com If you are after a XLH1A or S

Mark Watson February 22nd, 2011 07:54 AM

Pro Visual Direct

Mark Koha April 22nd, 2011 02:16 PM

At this point they HAVE to come up with something to compete with the AF100 and the new Sony that is coming out. I don't understand how they let those other companies come out with those camers when they were so far ahead of the game with the 7d. All they had to do was develop the 7d into a video style body.

Simon Wood April 22nd, 2011 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Koha (Post 1641959)
At this point they HAVE to come up with something to compete with the AF100 and the new Sony that is coming out. I don't understand how they let those other companies come out with those camers when they were so far ahead of the game with the 7d. All they had to do was develop the 7d into a video style body.

With the 50mbs codec from the XF series camera. All the pieces are in place, but Canon is always last to respond.

Chris Hurd April 22nd, 2011 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Koha (Post 1641959)
All they had to do was develop the 7d into a video style body.

Sorry, but no it's not that simple. See my article for an explanation why:

Canon Reveals Their Next Pro Video Cam at DVInfo.net

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simon Wood (Post 1641971)
All the pieces are in place...

Nope, not all of them. The glass is the biggest challenge. See my article linked above for details.

Simon Wood April 23rd, 2011 12:41 AM

Interesting article Chris. I hope you're right that they may yet develop an XL-F camera that is backward compatible with lenses and accessories from the XLH1.

However, with regards to a Full Frame camera I'm fairly certain that current users of Canon DSLR's would be willing make the jump to a video designed model without motorized zoom and auto-focusing.

What most of them want is a more ergonomic design, XLR In, a robust codec, clean HD/SDI Out, and to continue using their current photographic 35mm lenses. Price would also be a big consideration, and with that in mind even if Canon did develop a range of expensive full frame video lenses capable of auto-focusing with shallow depth of field and with controllable motorized zoom, they would probably not sell well if the camera was still capable of just using old 35mm lenses.

But perhaps this market, by itself, is too small a niche for Canon to consider, when (as you mention) the largest part of the market is event orientated.

Time will tell...

Chris Hurd April 23rd, 2011 01:22 AM

Hi Simon, I wrote that article more than a year ago and things are changing.

Sorry to say that I'm pretty sure an XL-F is off the table at this point.

Seriously doubt that we're going to see anything more with an XL mount.

I don't know for certain but I believe Canon is moving to a large-format single sensor camera design.

To repeat myself: the glass is by far the biggest challenge.

Tony Davies-Patrick April 23rd, 2011 04:51 AM

I agree with Chris, and think that the XL-H1s/a were the last of the line of XL-mount camcorders (with interchangeable lenses). It was one of the reasons why I moved completely to the DSLR systems.

An XL-type camcorder with 5D sensor might make me change back, but I doubt if Canon would make one without the price rising way beyond my budget, and the lenses would be ultra-expensive.
On the other hand, I do see a DSLR with more camcorder-type controls and decent video autofocus and sound, etc on the horizon.
I love the amazing quality of the combined stills and video images from the 5D Mark II...but sorely miss being able to gather top-tier sound via the XLR ports of the XL2/XL-H1 bodies without the need to sync in post; and being able to perform a slow, smooth pull back zoom on the 20X lens with a simple press of a rocker switch...and being able to control the complete camcorder from a Manfrotto Lanc controller on the tripod...and...I'd better stop reminiscing before I begin to think about buying another camcorder! :)

Ronald Jackson April 23rd, 2011 06:43 AM

I also appreciate the 7.2x "crop factor" when using a 35mm lens, absolute boon for wildlife.
Interesting to see what Sony do in terms of a EX3 replacement, 5x "crop" there I think but then going Sony means getting rid of my Canon 35mm lenses and having to get eg Nikkors.

Ron