Extract tape without power? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old February 22nd, 2011, 05:29 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Extract tape without power?

Guys, I just can't seem to take a trick at the moment!

Yesterday one of our XLH1's died near the end of a shoot. By died I mean powered down suddenly, and can't be powered back on. No response, regardless of battery or AC power.

I have two questions:

1) Does the XLH1 have a fuse/breaker/hard reset procedure I could try before sending it away?

2) Is there a way I can extract the tape from the camera without damaging either? The tape has a half-days shooting on it that I'll need to start working on soon.

Unfortunately we have only one Canon repair office in the country, so sending the camera away usually means you're without it for a few weeks, but I really need that tape!

cheers

Matthew P
Matthew Petersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2011, 04:47 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Extract tape without power?

No - the tape mechanism will have to be dismantled,and this has to be done by a technician.

Probably your main fuse has blown. Were you using any accessories (plugging them in or out while the camera was on) during the shoot?
Simon Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2011, 05:00 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Wood View Post
No - the tape mechanism will have to be dismantled,and this has to be done by a technician.

Probably your main fuse has blown. Were you using any accessories (plugging them in or out while the camera was on) during the shoot?
thanks Simon, the only non-standard thing we have on the camera is an IDX v-lock batt adapter, and we had no accessories plugged in.

Is the main fuse in a place accessible by a careful cameraman with a screwdriver? Obviously the camera is well out of warranty.

Matthew P
Old February 23rd, 2011, 07:19 AM   #4
Major Player

It might be possible to energize the tape mechanism motor by applying 4vdc to its connections, which are accessible with the door open. Better if the door is removed. I operated my deck a few times and noted that this little motor operates when the mechanism is extending or retracting. The voltmeter I'm using isn't the best, (the power to the motor cuts off before the meter settles on a reading). Max reading was 3.88vdc. The attached photo shows the motor in the lower right corner. The power comes in on the two solder connections on the back of the motor. I'll take the voltage readings again tomorrow when I have my good meter. I'll also be able to verify the polarity for extending the mechanism. 'Course, I'll be sober by then, and probably feeling less adventurous about this.

**All standard disclaimers apply**

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Extract tape without power?-tape-mech.jpg  
Mark Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2011, 01:46 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Petersen View Post
Is the main fuse in a place accessible by a careful cameraman with a screwdriver? Obviously the camera is well out of warranty.

Matthew P
No - I believe it is soldered directly to the main board (!). The camera has to be dismantled to get at it. Nightmare.

I live in fear of this when I'm working out in Uganda where I usually live, because the nearest technician is in another continent....
Simon Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2011, 05:35 AM   #6
Major Player

Using a Fluke 289 meter, the voltage going to the motor was found to be 5vdc.
When ejecting the tape, the connection on the right ("B" in the photo) is positive, and "A" is negative. To retract the mechanism, reverse the connections.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Extract tape without power?-tape-mech-motor.jpg  
Mark Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2011, 07:01 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Mark I really appreciate your effort on this. I'll have another look tomorrow and see how difficult it would be to get 5 volts down there with a couple of probes. It would certainly be a load off my mind not having to let the tape out of my sight.

Will report.

Matthew P
Old February 24th, 2011, 07:20 AM   #8
Major Player

It's no trouble. I have the XL-H1A camera, so hopefully your XL-H1 tape transport mechanism is identical to mine. When I read your initial post, I grabbed my camera and naturally started looking for the little hole to put a paperclip into. Nothing found and nothing mentioned in the manual about this. I know I wouldn't want to turn in a camera for servicing with a tape installed. If I were in your shoes, I wouldn't hesitate to give this a try. We'll both be relieved if this method works.
Mark Watson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders