DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Need footage taken off tape with a Canon camera (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/496584-need-footage-taken-off-tape-canon-camera.html)

Dave Gosley May 30th, 2011 07:27 AM

Need footage taken off tape with a Canon camera

Hi, I have several tapes that were recorded on an XL-H1 (I don't have one) and I need the footage off them asap. I have tried the tapes in a JVC video camera and it does not see the footage.

I live in Basingstoke, Hampshire and will travel a reasonable distance to get to where you are...
Of course I will pay for the privilege too... so anyone got an XL-H1 (will any other canon HDV do it?) and who is prepared to sit with me over a coffee and biscuits while my footage winds in. I'll bring a hard drive to transfer it.
Thanks
Dave

Simon Wood May 30th, 2011 07:40 AM

Re: Need footage taken off tape with a Canon camera

Just so you know you can broaden your net a bit - any Canon XLH1 / XHA1 / HV series should work.

Dave Gosley May 30th, 2011 08:09 AM

That's much appreciated, It opens up the opportunities for more responses - I hope!

Thanks Simon..

Chris Soucy May 30th, 2011 02:49 PM

Hi, Dave.............

Depending on what mode they were shot in, you may be able to increase the catchment area further.

If they are standard 50i HDV, any 1440/ 1920 HDV camera out there (the JVC's are 720) will do the job, so Canon not neccesary.

If they're shot in Canon 25f mode, a Canon 25f capable camera will be needed.

CS

PS: Huh! I knew I was looking for a figure. Yep, 1080. Must be another senior moment!

Dave Gosley May 30th, 2011 06:30 PM

Hi Chris
Thanks for the input. Its getting more intriguing, for I shot the footage on a Canon XL-H1 that I no longer own. It was always set to HD 1080i / 50 so hopefully someone in the Basingstoke / Hampshire area may like to make some money out of pulling the footage off for me..

Thanks Chris - I have mad a not of the fact it maybe not essential to be a Canon.

Cheers
Dave

Gordon Hoffman May 30th, 2011 09:51 PM

I have played back XL-H1 1080i footage on a Sony handycam (HC3).

Gordon

Ronald Jackson May 31st, 2011 03:01 AM

A Canon HV 20/30/40 will do it, Ron

Dave Gosley May 31st, 2011 06:50 AM

Folks I'm loving these replies, thank you all - it means that many of you understand my plight.

As the list of possible / probable pieces of kit that could accomplish the transfer grows - the chances of finding someone not too far away - who WILL help me (for a fee of course) also improve.

Does anyone have these pieces of kit in Southern England or an HDV deck - that I can come and transfer some footage from tape to a hard drive - I will be paying of course!

The other thought I hadn't investigated was "are there HDV decks for hire generally" - I'll now go look!

Thanks
Dave

Nick Hiltgen June 5th, 2011 08:01 PM

I've gotten 24f footage off of a tape (that no canon camera could read) using a sony hdv deck the m-10u, don't know how they work in the pal world but it might work out.

Kevin Lewis June 14th, 2011 11:09 AM

Have you tried calling your local camera dealer to see if you can rent a compatible camera? It might be the easiest wat to go. Good luck.