DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Accessory & Component Compatibility: XL Series Camcorders? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/501515-accessory-component-compatibility-xl-series-camcorders.html)

Robert Rayner October 12th, 2011 08:15 AM

Accessory & Component Compatibility: XL Series Camcorders?

Greetings all. I'm a "newbie" to this forum, and this is my first posting.

I have owned and operated a Canon XL1s for quite a few years. I have a very extensive array of accessories and external components for this camera, including the MA-200 shoulder mount with the 4 XLR mic connectors, the external dual-battery mount, a slew of batteries, chargers, and the like. Frankly, I don't think there are many XL1s accessory items I DON"T have.

I am considering the acquisition of an Canon High Definition camcorder in the same form factor as the XL1s, primarily because I have so many XL series accessories that I am hoping I can use on one of Canon's Hi-Def bodies in the XL series. The XL-H series camera bodies appear to me to have the same form factor as my XL1s....but I'm not 100% certain.

So......

I'd like to know if the batteries, external battery holders, shoulder mounts, etc. that are compatible with the standard-def XL1s can also be used with the XL-H1S or XL-H1A, etc. I am seeing a decent number of pre-owned XL-H series cameras for sale, and I'm intrigued at the thought of being able to use many of the accessories I already own while upgrading to Hi-Def capability.

I am assuming that the lens mounts are the same. I've read where the glass in the 20X XL1s lens may not be up to Hi-Def standards, but I am anticipating primarily using the 6X wide angle lens on any "new" camera I get anyway.

Any information regarding this would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

Norbert Holzmann October 12th, 2011 08:51 AM

Re: Accessory & Component Compatibility: XL Series Camcorders?

Hi Robert,
some of your items will fit to XL H1, some not.

Items that will fit:
CH-910 external dual-battery mount
BP-930, BP945, 950, 970 7.4 Volt battery
Any BP-9xx battery charger
MA-300 XLR adapter
FU-1000 viewfinder
16x Manual Zoom Servo
1.6x Extender (not recommend)
HC-3200 system case
CB-920 car charger
ZR-1000 lanc control
EF-adapter
Focus Firestore FS-4 Pro HD

Items that will not fit:
MA-200 shoulder mounts
BP-927 7,2 Volt Battery
Some rainslickers

Robert Rayner October 12th, 2011 09:29 AM

Vielen Dank Norbert!

I appreciated your fast a thorough reply!

The Canon 16X zoom lens from the XL1s is not on your list, so I imagine that it will NOT fit the XL-H1. Correct?

If anyone else has anything to share, please do!

THANKS Norbert!

Chris Hurd October 12th, 2011 09:44 AM

Hi Robert,

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Rayner (Post 1688047)
I've read where the glass in the 20X XL1s lens may not be up to Hi-Def standards

There was a 20x lens that came out with the XL2, not the XL1s. It is compatible with the XL1s. It is a standard
definition lens made for the standard definition XL series camcorders, so no, it will not resolve for High Definition.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Rayner (Post 1688070)
The Canon 16X zoom lens from the XL1s is not on your list, so I imagine that it will NOT fit the XL-H1. Correct?

The Canon 16x zoom lens from the XL1 and XL1s will indeed mount to all of the XL H series camcorders (XL H1,
XL H1A and XL H1S). However, that lens resolves only for standard definition. You can certainly record in HD using
this lens, but most likely you will be disappointed with the results. The recorded video will appear to be quite soft,
almost out of focus. That's because the 16x lens was not made to resolve an HD image. So yes it will work, but
you may find the quality to be unacceptable.

The good news is that most all XL H bodies you will find for sale will come packaged with the 20x HD lens
that was made for the XL H body. You should avoid a package that does not include an HD lens.

All *white* XL lenses: standard definition only.
All *black* XL lenses: made for High Definition.

Exception: the black Canon 16x *manual* lens resolves standard definition only.

Hope this helps and welcome to DV Info Net,

Norbert Holzmann October 12th, 2011 06:28 PM

The 16x Manual Servo Zoom works fine on my XL H1. In comparison to my 6x Wide the picture looks a little soft, but definitly better than any picture from my XL2, I own before.

If you look for a XL H1, try to get a H1s or H1a, if you don't need HD DVI out. The 20x lens from these models are more HD compatible in comparison to the 20x lens from the H1 model.

Marty Hudzik October 13th, 2011 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norbert Holzmann (Post 1688195)
The 16x Manual Servo Zoom works fine on my XL H1. In comparison to my 6x Wide the picture looks a little soft, but definitly better than any picture from my XL2, I own before.

If you look for a XL H1, try to get a H1s or H1a, if you don't need HD DVI out. The 20x lens from these models are more HD compatible in comparison to the 20x lens from the H1 model.

To clarify that last statement, the original XLh1 came with a 20x lens that is indeed HD quality, not doubt. However the newer XLh1s and Xlh1a did include what is considered to be a much improved lens with better glass. I have an original h1 and had the opportunity to use the XLh1a with improved glass and didn't see a huge difference visually, although it might have been a little better. It's very subjective. The newer lens has some improved features on the chasis also.

To sum it up, if you find a great deal on the original XLH1 with lens, you don;t have to be too concerned as it is still an excellent lens and resolves far superior to any SD XL series lens on these cameras.

My 2 cents. Where's my change? :)

Chris Hurd October 13th, 2011 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norbert Holzmann (Post 1688195)
...if you don't need HD DVI out.

You mean HD SDI out (there is no DVI jack on any of these camcorders, but the H1 and H1S have SDI -- Serial Digital Interface).

The XL H1A is the only XL H series camcorder that does *not* have SDI, making it considerably less expensive than the H1 or H1S.

Robert Rayner October 13th, 2011 11:09 AM

I very much appreciate the responses!

Thanks for the information you all have shared so far. Keep it coming if anyone else can add to it. I'm compiling your info as I search!

Chris Hurd October 13th, 2011 11:20 AM

Robert, be sure to look over my old XL H1 Watchdog pages located here:

Canon XL H1 Watchdog
The Watchdog Skinny on the Canon XL 1H
Canon XL H1 Image Sensors, DSP and Frame Rates
Canon USA Press Release: 6X HD Zoom Lens for XL H1 Camcorder

There are some broken advertising and navigation links, but the articles themselves are still easily readable.

Harry Bromley-Davenport October 13th, 2011 11:43 AM

Hi Chris and all,

I beg to differ a little about the 16x zoom.

I have a 16x Manual zoom and have used it on two features and some docs and spots. It's useful because the focus ring stops at either end, as does the zoom. So one can do accurate focus pulls and zooms and reliably attach an add-on follow focus unit. The focus and zoom rings, at least on the 20x zoom, do not have end stops so just go round and round eternally which I find very annoying.

And I haven't had any sharpness issues with the 16x vs the 20x that QC or a viewer watching 1080 cable/satellite at home could detect. I believe I bought mine on ebay for about $600 or maybe $800. I can't remember why, but apparently one should buy the BLACK colored one - which I own. Sorry, I forgot the reason, but there is, I think also a white one or a silver one.

I also use the 3x occasionally when I need a really wide angle - like the inside of a car or under cramped circumstances, and that is indeed softer. Or perhaps it's that the contrast isn't too great. But, once again, I have used it and nobody in the audience threw up. It is VERY wide but manages to keep remarkably little barrel distortion which surprised me.

Best wishes,

Harry.

Norbert Holzmann October 13th, 2011 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hurd (Post 1688365)
You mean HD SDI out (there is no DVI jack on any of these camcorders...

Yes, you are right ;-)