DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   The Great Canon XL Series Revival Thread (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/507384-great-canon-xl-series-revival-thread.html)

Owen Dawe April 29th, 2012 03:49 PM

The Great Canon XL Series Revival Thread

It now seems obvious that Canon has let the XL ground breaking video camera die. The official reason I never heard. Canon let it's loyal customers, it's third party accessory manufactures down in a big way. No thank you or announcement from Canon. The XL was abandoned, it's users left hanging as the XL withered and died.

So what have got to replace it?

There is nothing that has filled the place of the XL line of cameras.

Sure it had it's short comings. Working in low light probably it's worst. High energy consumption on battery power another.

However. What camera has the dual ability to be quickly removed from a tripod then quickly used shoulder mounted? What camera has interchangeable lens, with both manual and automatic lens available plus the EF range via an adapter? What camera is large enough to enable it to have decent size knobs and buttons that can be felt for, audio and picture control manipulated quickly whilst shooting without having to look for the correct control? What camera was able to have it's major control features on the body, not somewhere down in a menu. What other camera was also able to take a thrashing in the field, be dropped, roll around in the back of a car and still work?

For its price range it took alot of beating and could be used on a day long shoot with effort and ease.

So why did Canon really kill it off? Did they listen to the few who reckoned they couldn't focus it?
The odd one who said the viewfinder wasn't big enough?

I may be a lone voice crying from the wilderness and living at the ends of the earth. But.... and a big BUT.
For the price it was a darned good all round camera, very easy to use, well designed supporting many features both simple and complex.

So back to my question. What do we replace it with? Well quite frankly there is nothing.

Surely with Canon's vast experience and expertise they could adapt and channel their knowledge into a prosumer all round camera as they already had.

I've started this thread to see and guage opinion to present to Canon that there is a need for the XL video camera. Please bring it back.

Mark Watson April 29th, 2012 06:07 PM

Re: The Great Canon XL Series Revival Thread

I would have upgraded from the XL-H1A 2 years ago, but have not found a suitable replacement, even for $10,000. It's a matter of ergonomic preference, and interchangeable lenses that I am still hanging on to this camera. I have the 6x HD lens and the EF-XL adapter which I mostly use with the 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS lens. I've had it for 4 years and have added the SmallHD DP6 to address the shortcomings of the viewfinder.

Just yesterday I was handling the XF305 and the C300. Though not a perfect replacement, if nothing better comes along I'll be getting the XF300 by this time next year. The only special features I'd like to see added are 120fps @SD quality with no time limit, and a full range of built-in time lapse selections. Obviously it would be tapeless. Nothing against tape, but it's getting rarer and rarer that I see a laptop with firewire, and for those important shoots, it's awkward to have a portable HDV recorder strapped to the camera for a backup tape copy, though it does help balance out the camera.

Were the XL series not big enough sellers for Canon?

Mark

Allan Black April 29th, 2012 07:07 PM

I don't think it'll go back into production, all the manaufacturers are hell bent on outselling their competition with their new cameras.

So I'd look around for another new H1A they should be cheaper now. The only thing would be Canon will eventually announce they no longer support it,
but that could be some time yet.

Cheers.

Marty Hudzik April 30th, 2012 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Watson (Post 1730341)
I've had it for 4 years and have added the SmallHD DP6 to address the shortcomings of the viewfinder.

Mark

Mark,
Any chance you could post an image of your rig with the DP6? I have been considering the DP4 with the viewfinder but would want to mount it in a way that it acts as a viewfinder, perhaps in addition to the existing one or replacing it. Haven't ordered one yet since I am not sure how I'd mount it. I still do a lot of run and gun shooting so I don't have a large set of rails to mount equipment to, so need to mount to the camera itself.

Sorry to go off-topic somewhat. I've just been looking for feddbacl on the SmallHD products with the XLh1 and this is the first I've seen.
Marty

Don Palomaki April 30th, 2012 11:28 AM

Quote:

So why did Canon really kill it off?
No doubt rendered to the bygone era by the new Cinema EOS line. When everyone is offering an interchangeable lens camcorder, the XL line (and HDV) became far less unique or attrractive for "serious" (meaning a real budget) work.

Eric Olson April 30th, 2012 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Palomaki (Post 1730530)
When everyone is offering an interchangeable lens camcorder, the XL line (and HDV) became far less unique or attrractive for "serious" (meaning a real budget) work.

I don't think people are surprised that Canon is phasing out tape based HDV cameras. I think the question is why they didn't replace it with something like the Sony EX3, JVC HM710 or Panasonic HPX370. What happened to the interchangeable lens brother of the FX300? Maybe this loss has more to do with earthquakes than strategy.

Rob Cantwell April 30th, 2012 03:43 PM

i had almost pulled the trigger on buying a seconhand Canon XL H1A but after carefully comparing to other manufacturers it just didn't really come close, i own a good few L Canon lens but opted in the end for a Sony camcorder.
i agree i think Canon is allowing this to die off dont think they have much interest in it.

Harry Bromley-Davenport April 30th, 2012 06:42 PM

Does this mean that Canon will no longer do repairs on the XLs?

Harry.

Les Wilson April 30th, 2012 09:04 PM

Sony and JVC have had cameras in the same form factor for over 3 years. Better cameras. By only looking at Canon, you've been missing out.

Owen Dawe April 30th, 2012 11:52 PM

I hear what you are saying Les.

I guess some of us go on personal experience. I had a good run with Canon film cameras. Then when digital video came in switched to Sony with two Hi8 cameras, tape deck plus a 34in monitor. Great pictures for their day but totally unreliable. Forever breaking down, then in the end didn't see the Hi8 era out resulting in me having to ditch the whole lot. Trouble with condensors as I recall. The Sony audio amp still works from that same era.

Then to Canon XL series having used five cameras from their line up. Basically trouble free. One developed trouble with the viewfinder. Apart from that over ten years trouble free. Some of us also over that time have collected quite a few accessories and extras so have a reasonable investment.

I have been well aware of the JVC as I have worked with a couple of people who own them and speak well of them.

That leaves Sony which I have worked with over a few recent years as well but not having owned one since the Hi8 days.

Having had a trouble free run with Canon I like many had prefered to stay with it. Canon's new line up since the demise of the XL has no interest to me as I'm not interested in making movies or work for global networks such as the BBC.

So it's either JVC or Sony. I still have a few troublesome memories from my Sony era.

Les Wilson May 1st, 2012 04:57 AM

I had a similar experience. Market leaders ebb and flow. Canon just didn't produce the followon products to HDV after years of waiting. Sony did so I moved on. I only wish I'd done it sooner.

Owen Dawe May 1st, 2012 06:18 AM

Well Les I take your point.

I appreciate it when people and organisations are loyal to me so I try to be loyal to others in return.

However. Having said that it is now rather obvious Canon don't give as much as a rat's bottom to many of it's loyal customers so maybe it's time for me to reconsider my stance.

I've been rather keen on the Sony EX3 so it is probably an option. I have worked with JVC gear for a few years and must say it's very reliable as well.

To say what's a good camera is can be rather objective. I want something that can be removed from a tripod and braced easily on ones shoulder at eye height quickly, has changeable lens, and most important is reliable. Picture quality is important but not the B end all. After all, the average 'Joe Blow' doesn't care. Even the most ardent fussy camera buff I've found is unable to flick through the channels and identify the make of camera.

Marty Hudzik May 1st, 2012 07:31 AM

Having used XL series since 1998 I can relate to the feeling of being abandoned. However, I am still using my XLh1 and getting great footage from it. I did employ a Samurai recorder via SDI and the footage is stunning. I am still limited by the cameras sensitivity and noisiness when gained up, so I cannot go shooting in practically dark rooms like the Fs100 or C300 but I work around it by lighting when I can.

In my line of work, it would be a waste of money to go to the XF300 or 305 since my XLh1 gets footage that is perfectly acceptable with the Samurai. It might not be quite as sharp as the XF series but it's close. Since they are the same size sensors they deliver similar style of images.

I am actually looking towards adding another camera to the toolkit with totally different operating parameters to compliment the XLh1. So different tools for different jobs. I am looking for a 35mm style camera for this purpose. If I were to sell my XLh1 and shell out the extra cash for the XF series, I would probably regret it, since the type of images I'd be getting would be similar....cleaner and perhaps a little sharper but similar. I'd also be sacrificing the form factor.

Me personally, I want something different. I can't give up on the XLh1 since a lot of my bread and butter shooting is ideal for this style of camera and a shallow DOF cam would not work. BUt adding a camera....that is where it is at. It would have been nice if it was a Canon though.

Don Palomaki May 1st, 2012 07:47 AM

The main capability I miss from the XL series is the 4-channel recording.
Interchangeable lenses are nice, but I never used them in any meaningful way even back to the old L2 days.

Moving from the XL1 the XH A1 provided all I needed for normal use, and a Century adapter gave what little ultra wide I needed.

Today,the XF/XA series provided great video for most uses. And tapeless is great, if you have reliable memory cards.
The C300 gives the interchangeable lense capability and shallow DOF for those who really want/need it. (They seem to go hand-in-hand.)

Canon is not known for having a wide ranging line of very similar products or rfrequent model changes in their not-consumer line. Sony on the other hand has many overlapping products - it fits their business model. (Toss a bunch of stuff against the wall, some will stick and make a lot of money, the rest will sell to Sony collectors.)

In the end it is not the gear, it is the talent of the shooter and editor that counts. The gear is maybe 10% of the equation at best. [But gear does feed the ego for some hobbiests. An associate takes photos at youth events, he carries about $20K in Nikon gear to do this - but the photos he takes are boring.]

Cole McDonald May 1st, 2012 08:06 AM

On my XL1s, I ground down an elevator bolt (1/4-20) to fit in my hot shoe and added wingnuts and washers to hold it in place on the top of the camera...

http://www.yafiunderground.com/Video/bog-bts.mov

Marty Hudzik May 1st, 2012 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cole McDonald (Post 1730744)
On my XL1s, I ground down an elevator bolt (1/4-20) to fit in my hot shoe and added wingnuts and washers to hold it in place on the top of the camera...

http://www.yafiunderground.com/Video/bog-bts.mov

Cole....what are you referring to here? I watched the video and I see a monitor mounted on the top of what appears to be the XL1S but not sure what you are demonstrating in this clip. Monitors mounted on the hot shoe are pretty common.

Earlier I was inquiring about the SmallHD monitors with the XLh1....is that what this was in response to?

Mark Watson May 1st, 2012 10:35 AM

8 Attachment(s)
Marty,

Some pics of the DP6 mounted various ways. I would not go smaller than this size monitor. My favorite config is to remover the stock EVF and mount the DP6 so it can be viewed from the side. I find I can get smoother pans by pulling the pan arm while facing the side of the camera. I haven't used the sun shade, but tossed in some pics with it. Actually the first time I mounted it and it's a nicely designed accessory. I ordered the adjustable arm you see in these pics from SmallHD. I would like to find some more ways of attaching the monitor to the camera, but it does allow lots of positioning freedom.

Mark

Marty Hudzik May 1st, 2012 11:29 AM

Mark,
Very nice indeed! I was going to ask you about the component cable but I realized that you have the newer XLH1 with the monitor out near the traditional viewfinder output. Mine is the original and as such I need to snake the cables from the back jack area to the monitor. Since this is a proprietary Canon cable, I would be stuck using a 10-12' cable run to come from the back to the front....far less than ideal. I would not be able to afford the SDI version of the small HD equip.

Actually I was considering the DP4 and mounting it in a manner that would replace the EVF....I really like pressing my eye to a viewfinder for stability reasons. I have an arm that looks identical to that but I am not sure if it would come loose when pressing to the eyes. I also have an Atomos Samurai attached to my cold shoe so I'd need to come up with some other options there too.

Thanks.

Cole McDonald May 1st, 2012 11:06 PM

@Marty: yes, this was in response to the question above... the mounting piece is an "elevator bolt" that set me back < $1 for all of the parts and a little bit of time trimming the edges back to fit in the hot shoe.

Mark Watson May 2nd, 2012 04:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Marty,

I was looking at the DP4-EVF and it looks like you need something terminating in a 1/8" mini plug.
If you're going to be shooting handheld/on the shoulder, then you will probably want a lightweight solution for your monitor mount. Maybe just have a shop fabricate something for you.

If tripod supported, then maybe you could go with Zacuto parts and put together a rail system to hang the monitor off from, they seem to have every conceivable doo-dad for doing so. The items shown in the picture will run you $946 more than Cole's elevator bolt solution, but you won't need to trim anything.

Mark

Robert Sanders May 3rd, 2012 01:22 PM

I'm very seriously considering selling my XL-H1 package. But I'm not sure if I'd get much out of it these days. I have the 20x and the 6x lenses. I have an external 7" monitor. I have a hard case with rollers. Extra batteries. An extra charger.

But I'm afraid I'll take a bath on it all now.

Trying to desperately figure out how to finance a C300. LOL!

Marty Hudzik May 3rd, 2012 03:58 PM

I hear you Robert. I am not hanging onto mine because it is better than anything else I could get obviously. I am interested in upgrading but the difference in price from what I could get for the XL and the next camera I consider to be a decent upgrade is too wide. I am better of getting another camera more specialized in "35mm sensor imagery" and keeping the XL for events and ENG style shooting. I am dying to get away from my 7D and into a higher end cinema camera, but my feet are planted in too many ENG shoots to abandon a shoulder mount and the range of the XL lenses. I have to many unorganized client shoots to worry about the workflow of a 35mm camera rig and focus pulling and what not. The XLh1 is solid and trustworthy (except the EVF which I'd like to crush!)

Plus, everytime I feel as though I am about to write it off, I shoot something and I am blown away by the quality. Keep in mind that I am shooting to Samurai in Pro Res which took my camera to a whole new level. It had been sitting in the bag for months as I dreaded the footage from the HDV tape. Now....I dread the 7D footage as it looks soft compared to the XLh1 pro res.

What to do.....what to do......???

Robert Sanders May 3rd, 2012 05:31 PM

I was using my rig exclusive for narrative work. I basically equipped it to be a cinema camera even though that wasn't it's main purpose when Canon built it. But I didn't care for the HVX at the time (which was all the rage then) and the XLH1 was by far the resolution king amongst those cameras of '06/'07.

The 1/3" look isn't something I'm interested in anymore. Also, I'm trying to put together a camera package that's significantly smaller than the H1. Something discreet and lightweight.

Since I bought my 7D two years ago, the H1 hasn't been used once. So it's just kinda sitting there.

Kevin Martorana May 13th, 2012 08:39 PM

It's funny to read all the posts in this thread. I too..who was NEVER a Canon fan, fell in love with the H1. But in MHO...here's the bottom line. All this gear we buy is an investment. Hopefully you can pay off the gear in a reasonable and quick amount of time, make $$$$ off it...and then...when the time is right..get your next camera.

20 years ago I used to buy 40k cameras and get 10 years out of them. Today..you're lucky if the technology gives you 2 years!! But it doesnt mean your rig sucks !!

We are probably going to buy a Samurai to prolong the life of our H1. Just waiting for dnxhd capability.

But here's the real kick. Depending on the type of work you do...old doesn't mean "not good". We still own a lovely and I mean lovely Panasonic SDX900 SD camera with a wonderful fujinon lens. It shoots 16x9 native..dvcpro50 and can do just about everything in matrix and controls that the H1 can do. We continue to utilize that camera for many projects...because those projects are web delivery. In the end I'm crushing the final down to a 500x282 movie in flash, WMV or qt. that camera is now 10 years old and still has a great life and can still make us $$$$.

Dont get me wrong...I'm not busting out our betacam to so a shoot...but I hope you get my point.
Use the tools you have...find the right productions for them, and when the time comes...then buy the next greatest thing. Manufacturers want us all to buy the latest tech....then a year later at NAB they say.."oh..you have that old thing".

Buy wisely...pay it off...make some more money then do it again. It's been my model for years.

Michael Galvan May 14th, 2012 05:03 AM

Yeah definitely. I still use my XLH1S all the time for broadcast work and it has paid it self many times over. Adding the Nanoflash has extended its life considerably.

I'm sure it'll continue to do its thing for many years to come.

Nick Hiltgen May 19th, 2012 12:40 PM

I've had the camera since december 30 2005 it's been 6 and a half years and I still have a client that uses it. (I actually shot something in 4:3 for them last week) it took me a little longer then I would have liked to pay it off, (I try to get a ROI after 18 months) but it has well paid for itself even the over priced 6x wide lens has been covered.

I purchased an F3 because I was tired of the work flow on the 7d/5d world. I use that for all f my narrative "movie" stuff (well most of it anyway) but the h1 still get some work and everytime I think I'm going to sell it I get another call. IN fact I think since I've purchased the f3 the h1 has out grossed it by about 2:1. (To be fair I have done far less owner oeprator stuff since I got the f3 which is where the majority of the money comes from)

I guess my long rambling point is if the camera still works for you why do you need the next thing?

Dale Guthormsen June 3rd, 2012 08:28 AM

Good Morning,

If I had a spare ten grand I might buy a new camera.

I use my xlh1a with a fu 1000 view finder, a DP1 monitor and a couple different mics. If I do my job well it produces high quality video that plays well on my 54 inch plasma.

Using a nano flash or samari/ninja recorder will certainly allow one to shoot pretty amazing video that 98% of people can't tell apart from anything on television.

I still like the idea of keeping my tapes on archive.

I really like having four channel audio (not available on h A version) I still use the xl2 for that!

I think the camera is a long way from dead, at least until HD is standardized larger than 1980x1080.

I still get more people wanting their work in SD on a dvd!!!

Rodney Compton October 14th, 2012 02:06 PM

Hi Guys - equally enjoyed the XL series for wildlife - Home to 40 years of Nature Photography and Film UK - but now have been left with a Canon FD L series f2.8 with an adapter for the XL's - 7x magnification and fab resolution, excellent shallow depth of field, etc, etc, but does not fit into my latest plans $1500

Maurice Covington October 25th, 2012 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dale Guthormsen (Post 1736431)
Good Morning,

I still get more people wanting their work in SD on a dvd!!!

My clients are the same. This is actually a benefit for now because there is no reason to shell out the big bucks until people upgrade their technology to be able to take full advantage of the HD video. In fact, I can honestly say that I have never had a client as for a Blue Ray. That being said, I typically record in 1080i so that I can have the best footage available when its time to down convert to SD for DVD purposes.

This camera is great and as each day goes by, I appreciate it even more. At times, I am amazed by the quality of this camera.

Owen Dawe July 8th, 2015 11:53 PM

Well it's over three years since I started this thread. You were right, the XL line is discontinued.

I'm retired now at 74 yrs.old so am not even thinking about new cameras. I have retained my XL 2, XL H1 and XL H1s. Previously I owned XL1 and XL1s. The only version I've never owned or used is the XL H1a. In 2000 I produced and directed 26, 30min tv shows using three xl1 cams. We thought the xl1 was the bees knees in those days, and it was. Funnily enough I still do the odd commercial job and have had no adverse feedback. I phoned Canon New Zealand the other day asking about service should I need it. They said they are still servicing the xl2 and xh cameras. So I guess at least in my world the xl will live on. I've collected so many bits, accessories, lens etc over the past fifteen years I don't really intend spending my reserve cash on a new camera. Gosh they devalue quickly. You would have to now work your butt off to recoup your investment and make a decent living. I'm keeping the XL fleet even if it is mainly for sentimental reasons. I like 'em and they still look pretty smart all dressed up. There is a bit of footage around being shot on the venerable XL1 and with modern software tinkering looks pretty good. In all the years of owning XL cameras I have only had to send one in for servicing. The XL1s viewfinder packed up when only three months old. A better service record than on the Sony stuff I had.

I still do the odd tv job but mainly use their gear.

In conclusion. The Canon XL video camera is dead. Long live the Canon XL video camera

Don Palomaki July 9th, 2015 05:35 AM

I recall when the XL1 was announced a lot of folks were bemoaning the death of the L1/L2 Hi8 line and the inability to use their lenses on the XL1. Of course the problem at that time was the sensor size (1/2 vs. 1/3 inch on the XL line) and the resolving power of the lens, both of which contribute to making the L1/2 series lenses a real mismatch for the XL1.

I guess the real replacements for the XL series are the XC and EOS Cinema series (interchangeable lenses being a key factor).

Producing good video people will watch is much much more than just gear!

Norbert Holzmann July 9th, 2015 11:43 PM

Just found the original receipt from my Canon XL-1E
8999 DM :-O
Bought my two XL H1 second hand for less :-)

@Owen

You are living in a very nice country. Made the Rapehu and Tongariro crossing. Love the bird songs in your country :-)

Declan Smith July 12th, 2015 05:19 PM

@Owen, I too have really liked the Canon XL range of Cameras. I Started with the XM-2, then progressed to the XL-2. This camera was so versatile, solid audio, interchangeable lens etc. I decided to invest in it, getting the FU-1000 (which is brilliant), lens adapters, wide angle lens, and my favourite lens, the 16x Manual / Servo lens, let alone the Letus extreme and other lens adapters for that narrow DOF!

Not too long after I got the XL-2, the XL-H1 came out which was too much of a step for me at the time due to cost / justification. In 2009 I needed to upgrade my stills camera and of course the 7D was the obvious choice. I had fun with it, and for certain things it is useful, but always preferred the XL-2. I now had HD video capability with the 7D but it is no where near as good as the XL-2 for ease of operation, sound, versatility, but of coarse the XL-2 is only SD (which native 16x9 for web video is still perfectly acceptable).

Of course, everyone seemed to jump on the "DSLR" bandwagon and start getting rid of their Prosumer cameras like the XL-H1, but with the addition of a Samurai, the XL-H1 is a totally amazing piece of kit, so onto ebay I went and got one, and a samurai. I couldn't believe it. All the handling and buttons and versatility of the XL-2 but with HD and more!! With the Samurai in addition, you get 10-bit 422 Prores recording and with the XL-H1 preset configurability no more messing around with "log" profiles and deep colour grading in post as you can get the look in camera. I can also use all the accessories that I have already invested in, such as the lens adaptor, Letus extreme, FU-1000, and the 16x lens I love so much.

I sent it back to Canon for a service so it's now in tip top condition. The prices just seem to keep falling. Also got the 6x Wide angle lens which is now my 2nd favourite lens (although sometimes it does get 1st place).

The XLH1 picture is extremely good and shooting with it is a pleasure and I believe can have many years ahead of it. In my view, the best way to get the best picture out of any camera is to put something of greater interest than pixels, in front of the lens. I have no interest in upgrading to 4k and getting the latest camera. If you get to know your camera and how to get the best out of it, you become more productive. I've never has anyone complain about sharpness, or colour or the amount of pixels in anything I've shot. I've had plenty of comments on the contents (some good, some bad).

I would love to see Canon take all the developments that have made over the last few years and put them into an XL style form factor, with the same (or more) versatility, such as 7.2x magnification which is really useful for some long telephoto shots, but perhaps it's wishful thinking :)

Owen Dawe July 13th, 2015 01:32 AM

Thank you Norbert. I live in central Nth. Island at Lake Tarawera. We have an extensive rat elimination program here. Rats are No.1 enemy to wild bird life.

I see you have the trusty xl1. I should have kept mine.

Owen Dawe July 13th, 2015 05:39 PM

@ Declan. Pleased you're still getting use from your XL setup. Me too. I agree with all you say. I never got on the DSLR waggon and I'm not interested in 4k as well.

People talk about large screens and cinema look in video. No mater how large the home screen and how they tinker with it I still know I'm sitting in a lounge watching video. Years ago I used to work in the cinema industry. Super Panavision 70mm screened in a proper fully equipped cinema really engulfed one and drew the audience in and must have been the pinnacle. After watching 222 minutes of Lawrence Of Arabia in 70mm it felt like an epic adventure I've never experienced in a cinema since. Cinerama was amazing as well but never got into storytelling in a big way. How the West Was Won and The Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm was about it. By the time they made It's a Mad Mad Mad World they had moved away from the three camera, projector set up. Anyway video is video, I love it, although in a different way to 'real film'. Video still has a long way to go to match real film.

I shot on standard 8mm first on a Bell and Howell. (still have it) then Super 8 switched to Canon. Didn't get a video camera 'till Hi8 hit the scene switching to Sony. The Sony experience, camera, video deck, 34in monitor was a trial. I seemed to have a bad run with it. Electronic failure was the ruination of video for me. On the release of the Canon XL1 I switched back to Canon and have been there ever since.

I have yet to switch to Samauri, and believe it's amazing. Will have to give it a go. I have the 16x manual lens and am on the lookout for a 6x lens.

I share your love of the Canon XL camera, I will continue to use it even if I have to buy used second hand ones to keep as spares and teach my self how to repair it.

Norbert Holzmann July 13th, 2015 11:16 PM

Me and my two XL-H1 at the local shooting club:

http://www11.pic-upload.de/14.07.15/81cmtdgglcba.jpg

Owen Dawe July 13th, 2015 11:30 PM

Very good. What brand and model of Steadicam Norbert?

Maurice Covington July 14th, 2015 08:44 AM

I too shoot with the XLH1 series camera but also have some of the more current cameras as well. When planning for a job I actually still option for my XLH1 series cameras. While I do have clients that ask for HD footage, the majority of my clients only want SD. I'm guessing that for the smaller corporate shoots, this is typical due to financial constraints. I have and continue to learn workings of this camera and still find myself very much impressed with what I am able to to with it. Like some of the others on here, I am not necessarily ready to upgrade to 4K but I know that Ill be forced to make a purchase of some sort next year.

For now I use my XLH1 cameras with the Samurai and have actually considered upgrading to the Samurai Blade. I use a stereo to RCA cable to capture audio directly to the Atoms and of course I have a field monitor and wireless laws, etc. for capturing much better audio for the main audio track. Hopefully most of you on this thread will continue to shoot with your XLH1's and also post the footage as I always enjoy watching.

Norbert Holzmann July 15th, 2015 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Owen Dawe (Post 1892264)
Very good. What brand and model of Steadicam Norbert?

It's a Glidecam X10/HD4000 with Curved Handle and Anton Bauer battery system.

Les Wilson July 15th, 2015 05:42 AM

My XL-1s still sees use whenever I want an operable camera on sticks for Skype around the house. The 3x WA takes in a family dinner table just fine. YMMV