DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   XLH2 features you want. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/51064-xlh2-features-you-want.html)

Yi Fong Yu September 14th, 2005 09:49 AM

XLH2 features you want.

It's never 2early!

I want:

1. 1920x1080 progressive.
2. variable frame rates from 5 through 300 fps.
3. any of the mpeg4 variant codecs.
4. full package=$5k, body only to be=$4k.

somn like this is ~2009?

Shannon Rawls September 14th, 2005 03:33 PM

Seeing that it has pretty much everything I could ask for at this price point. I would also like to vote for:

1. 60f to tape
2. more affordable price

- ShannonRawls.com

Michael Wisniewski September 14th, 2005 03:48 PM

All the current H1 features in a fixed lens camcorder.

Ed Szarleta September 14th, 2005 03:57 PM

HDV (yuck) with 60I (yuck) with psuedo 24P (yuck) for $9000 (yuck)

A new engineering team is what I would want

Antony Quintin September 14th, 2005 04:00 PM

Sticking with my new XL2

I think im glad I decided to get the XL2.

I want to see how the HDV format develops - if it does before I go upgrading ALL my equipment to be able to deliver HDV!!!!

Jay Gladwell September 14th, 2005 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antony Quintin
I think im glad I decided to get the XL2.

I want to see how the HDV format develops - if it does before I go upgrading ALL my equipment to be able to deliver HDV!!!!

Antony, I'm in total agreement with you.

Jay

Chris Hurd September 14th, 2005 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed Szarleta
HDV (yuck) with 60I (yuck) with psuedo 24P (yuck) for $9000 (yuck)

HDV doesn't begin to figure into the price. An HDV transport is not that expensive. You're not paying for HDV on this camera. What you're paying for is the CCD block, the lens, and uncompressed HD.

Don't knock the 24F until you've seen it.

Antony Quintin September 14th, 2005 05:13 PM

FAO Jay

Jay I had a look at your website. Its good!!!

I just wanted to know what camera you shoot on? and what was used for the videos on your site?

Jay Gladwell September 14th, 2005 05:18 PM

Quote:

Jay I had a look at your website. Its good!!!

I just wanted to know what camera you shoot on? and what was used for the videos on your site?

Thank you, Antony, for your kind words.

Everything on the site was shot with the XL1 and XL1s. The "Her Body" demo was shot with the XL2.

Jay

Antony Quintin September 14th, 2005 05:19 PM

NP Jay.

The quality looks really good.

What did you use to compress it for the net??? What software?

Thanks

Jay Gladwell September 14th, 2005 05:22 PM

Quote:

What did you use to compress it for the net??? What software?

Thanks, again. We used Sorenson Squeeze 4.0 Compression Suite. Great product!

Jay

Nick Hockings September 14th, 2005 09:24 PM

(un)reasonable wish list

# A wider tape so they don't have to loose as much in the compression.
Would a mini-DVCAM-SR be possible? Lossless recording on the tape would be quite something.

# 2/3"chips and a larger f/number, for better depth of field.(If they can do it without making the overall camera any bigger.) Replace the XL mount with standard 2/3" mount.

# change the ergonomics to something low over the shoulder, like the Aaton A-minima

# make it more robust, and get rid of the rattles

# make the lens axis match the handle axis so changing lenses doesn't change the balance of the camera.

# matt box rods as standard

#4 XLR sockets including at least one stereo XLR (5pin) for an xy mic.

#Interchangeable solid state drive to plug in in place of the VTR for ENG work. This implies a compact video drive socket standard.

#Variable sampling and compression rates, with choice of lossless(Huffman YUV compression) or lossy compression.

Okay it wouldn't really be an XL* anymore, but it would be fun....

and yes, I'd like it to be cheaper, but also accepted for broadcast. I expect I'll have to wait awhile......

Alexander Ibrahim September 16th, 2005 11:53 AM

Hard Drive recording and Higher bitrates

I'd like to see a version of the camera using forthcoming 7200RPM 2.5" SATA drives in a removeable enclosure.

Make the enclosures cheap and let me buy my own drives. Hopefully they'll be simple enough so that I can swap drives from enclosures without tools in the field.

Also, this might be a great way to get 50Mbps recording. This would be a real killer feature for the camera, for SD maybe not so much, but 50Mbps will really make a huge difference in HD recording. Especially for those of us who need to do extensive post.

Mike Marriage September 17th, 2005 05:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alexander Ibrahim
I'd like to see a version of the camera using forthcoming 7200RPM 2.5" SATA drives in a removeable enclosure.

Make the enclosures cheap and let me buy my own drives. Hopefully they'll be simple enough so that I can swap drives from enclosures without tools in the field.

Also, this might be a great way to get 50Mbps recording. This would be a real killer feature for the camera, for SD maybe not so much, but 50Mbps will really make a huge difference in HD recording. Especially for those of us who need to do extensive post.

Can't agree with you more Alexander. I only wish the camera had higher bitrate encoding built in. HDV is great for a lot of work, but I used this camera for drama, I would like more than 25Mbps and 4:2:0 colour.

Thomas Smet September 19th, 2005 07:52 AM

I really wish the camera had HD component or HD SDI input. Currently no HDV equipment has any way of HD input other than firewire. Most uncompressed HD editing systems offer realtime output in either SDI or component. With these type of inputs you could edit a HDV or uncompressed or mixed project and output with no rendering back to HDV tape by letting the camera be the encoder.