DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   HD Lens: Pull focus (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/51159-hd-lens-pull-focus.html)

Michael Wisniewski September 15th, 2005 04:39 PM

HD Lens: Pull focus

The new HD lens has a good distance read-out so it's easy to mark and pull focus, there's also a preset focus (one way only) so it will automatically find the pre-set focus.

Aaron Koolen September 15th, 2005 05:23 PM

So I assume it's accurate and repeatable? What about the zoom? Is it the same? This sounds like something nice if they've finally done this - would have assumed a full manual, but this is a good start.

Michael Wisniewski September 15th, 2005 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aaron Koolen
So I assume it's accurate and repeatable?

Yes, I tried it on several items in the convention hall both at full wide angle and full zoom, with a long focus and a shorter one. The zoom function works the same way, but I didn't get to try it. I'll take more pics tomorrow and test the zoom function.

James Emory September 15th, 2005 11:37 PM

Did you test the new peaking focus feature in the EVF where the indicator disappears when the image is in focus or the magnifying feature to help ensure critical focus?

Greg Boston September 15th, 2005 11:54 PM

[QUOTE=Michael Wisniewski there's also a preset focus (one way only) so it will automatically find the pre-set focus.[/QUOTE]

Michael, are you sure about the one way only. Maybe I'm misunderstanding your statement. This would be different from the XL2 20X. Once you set the focus preset, it returns to it regardless of which side you are on when you press the 'go to' button. Same with the zoom preset.

-gb-

Michael Wisniewski September 16th, 2005 12:25 AM

Woops, sorry, I meant you can't set two focus points and then automatically go back and forth between them. There's only one focus point, and it always goes back to that one, no matter which side of the point you're on.

Greg Boston September 16th, 2005 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Wisniewski
Woops, sorry, I meant you can't set two focus points and then automatically go back and forth between them. There's only one focus point, and it always goes back to that one, no matter which side of the point you're on.

Thanks for the clarification. I wouldn't think they changed the way the presets operate unless it was to add a second memory. Now that would be cool!

Also wanted to say thanks for all the image acquisition and uploading you did this week. Some really nice detailed pics.

-gb-

Paul Curtis September 16th, 2005 01:33 AM

Zoom and aperture

Perhaps im missing something here but the lens is rated as f1.6 to f3.5 presumably over the zoom range. Surely an HD zoom should be a constant aperture otherwise the lighting levels will alter as you zoom? Does the body do some kind of ISO or shutterspeed trickery to keep the exposure the same throughout (which seems like an odd solution)?

Nice glass though, i have a stack of canon L lens, curious to see if there's going to be an EF adaptor for it and how good or bad the adaptor is optically...

paul

Greg Boston September 16th, 2005 02:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Curtis
Perhaps im missing something here but the lens is rated as f1.6 to f3.5 presumably over the zoom range. Surely an HD zoom should be a constant aperture otherwise the lighting levels will alter as you zoom? Does the body do some kind of ISO or shutterspeed trickery to keep the exposure the same throughout (which seems like an odd solution)?

Nice glass though, i have a stack of canon L lens, curious to see if there's going to be an EF adaptor for it and how good or bad the adaptor is optically...

paul

The existing EF adaptor will work with the camera with the same caveat of image magnification turning practically every EF lens into a mega zoom.

-gb-

Guy Barwood September 16th, 2005 03:11 AM

"Perhaps im missing something here but the lens is rated as f1.6 to f3.5 presumably over the zoom range. Surely an HD zoom should be a constant aperture otherwise the lighting levels will alter as you zoom?"

The Z1's lens does the same thing however the HD100's doesn't. This gives the HD100 the equivalent of about a stop more sensitivity than the Z1 when zoomed in. This will hurt the XL H1 too, 3.5 is 2.3 stops lower than 1.6 (calculated using http://www.imaginatorium.org/stuff/stops.htm).

This is an important feature many don't stop to think about.

Barry Green September 16th, 2005 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Curtis
otherwise the lighting levels will alter as you zoom? Does the body do some kind of ISO or shutterspeed trickery to keep the exposure the same throughout (which seems like an odd solution)?

This is only an issue if the f-stop you're using is more open than 3.5. If you're shooting at f/4, it will be a constant f/4 throughout the zoom range. Most (all?) prosumer-priced cameras do this; the DVX and FX1 certainly do (going from 1.6 at the wide to 2.8 at the tele). I didn't measure sensitivity on the HD100, but I would be most surprised if it were actually a constant T1.4 throughout the zoom range -- that seems most unlikely.

Guy Barwood September 16th, 2005 08:27 AM

This is true, although it still can't be ignored as anyone shooting in poor light or low light where you can't control lighting such as special events/concerts will be effected by this. I know in a recent concert with a DV500 I had to use 6dB of gain in some scenes at F1.4 - F2.8 to properly expose many scenes and the DV500 is about 1-1.5 stops more sensitive than the HD100. I also was zoomed in quite a bit a lot of the time (16x not 20x lens).

I did test the HD100 next to a Z1 and there was a definite and distinct advantage to the HD101 in zoom and the Z1 only closed to about f/2.4 not 3.6

It will also effect your ability to reduce depth of field if that is an effect you desire.

I can't absolutely guarrantee the HD100 does stay wide open throughout zoom but I am pretty sure it does (like my DV500 lens does) and if it does close up a bit, it is only a tiny tiny bit.

At least in theory Canon could release a better lens you could upgrade to for better light performance. With the Z1 your stuck with what you got.

Michael Wisniewski September 16th, 2005 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Emory
Did you test the new peaking focus feature in the EVF where the indicator disappears when the image is in focus or the magnifying feature to help ensure critical focus?

I only used the EVF feature for about a minute before I got bumped off by the presentation, it is usable, I had it in telephoto and I was able to easily get good sharp focus on the HD monitor. Wasn't able to try the magnifying function.

Michael Escher September 16th, 2005 09:50 PM

I'm sorry, but am I clueless about this? If the chips are still 1/3", then what is the 35mm still equivalent of the new 20x HD lens? The current 20x is from 5.4 to 108mm and according to the Canon website (http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/con...12152&pageno=3) the new lens has a 38.9 to 778mm range. Is that the real lens size or the 35mm still equivalent?

I am assuming that the 16x manual lens will still work with this camera as well as the 3x wide angle zoom. Anyone have info on lens compatibility?

Guy Barwood September 16th, 2005 09:58 PM

The 35mm equivalent is the 38.9-778mm range quoted. The actual lens is 5.4-108mm.

A 1/3" CCD has a 'crop' factor of about 7x compared to 35mm film.

Just remember lens mm are all the same, it is the sensor size that changes. We only refer back to 35mm because it is such a common format most people can relate to the angle of view from this format with a given lens setting.

Michael Escher September 16th, 2005 10:54 PM

Thanks for clearing that up. So how much better is the new lens as opposed to the previous iteration?

Guy Barwood September 17th, 2005 12:38 AM

I never owned the original lens that shipped stock with the DV500, I bought a slightly upgraded Canon 16x instead. I heard the Stock Fujinon on the DV500 was pretty poor.

This lens on the HD100 doesn't sound too bad, but there certainly seems to be room for improvement, hence the wide angle lens option which sounds like it will be priced at more than the XL H1 itself. Thats the price of quality HD glass though. Even if Canon have put more into the optical quality of this lens than Sony and JVC, for what you are paying, it still has to be a compromise. Luckily, like the HD100, you can swap lens, but thats only if there is a good enough lens to bother swapping too, and you can afford to buy it in the first place.

Greg Boston September 17th, 2005 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Escher
I am assuming that the 16x manual lens will still work with this camera as well as the 3x wide angle zoom. Anyone have info on lens compatibility?

Although you can put the older lenses on this camera, Canon doesn't recommend it because the current XL lenses aren't sharp enough to resolve HD. I believe this was stated on their website.

=gb=

Chris Hurd September 17th, 2005 02:37 PM

The older XL lenses are usable on the XL H1 only when shooting standard definition DV.

Michael Escher September 17th, 2005 08:22 PM

Did they set it up so the camera will only shoot in DV resolution with the old lenses and not work if you try to use them in HD? I'm a bit dubious that these lenses won't have the resolution needed. It seems like a way to get us to fork out more money for new lenses.

I'd at least like to see some tests. Perhaps one of the members of this community who buys the XL H1 might try both 20x lenses in a side by side test.

Kevin Dooley September 17th, 2005 08:25 PM

I'd rather see a test with the 3x... 20x is 20x, but if the 3x could pull it off (though I doubt it, since it's always been known to have been a little soft...)

Chris Hurd September 17th, 2005 08:27 PM

Oh, you can run an H1 with an older XL lens attached... but the image will appear to be... err... a bit soft. The 3x wide especially, I mean I haven't seen this, but I'm willing to bet you a six-pack of Shiner Bock that it'll be noticeably softer. The next chance to find out will be at Canon's next trade show, which is... Govt. Video Expo? I think... in November.

What the XL H1 needs is a full manual wide angle lens, about 10x or 12x, and hopefully costing less than an arm and a leg.

Kevin Dooley September 17th, 2005 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
Oh, you can run an H1 with an older XL lens attached... but the image will appear to be... err... a bit soft. The 3x wide especially, I mean I haven't seen this, but I'm willing to bet you a six-pack of Shiner Bock that it'll be noticeably softer. The next chance to find out will be at Canon's next trade show, which is... Govt. Video Expo? I think... in November.

What the XL H1 needs is a full manual wide angle lens, about 10x or 12x, and hopefully costing less than an arm and a leg.

I wish I could win that bet... It's been a while since I could even find Shiner Bock--last time was when I lived in Kansas City, and even then it was spotty.

Chris Hurd September 17th, 2005 08:33 PM

Apologies for the off-topic post, but surely you can find Shiner in Chicago if you dig deep enough Kevin! The next time I'm up there, let's meet up for a pub crawl. I'll bet we can locate the right bar, or at least have a good time trying.

Michael Escher September 17th, 2005 09:18 PM

http://www.shiner.com/dist_map/availabilityMap.html

Kevin Dooley September 18th, 2005 05:11 AM

Well, even though Shiner's site says it's a no go... I'm always up for a good pub crawl... Look me up when you next grace Chi-town Chris.