Portable HD-SDI Recording Options - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old November 8th, 2005, 03:41 AM   #16
Major Player

James Rhodes
Quote:
So I have done some research on the CineRAM, the 8GB entry level version starts at $18,645.00 not sure about the 16Gb version. I'm speaking with some poeple , but the Baytech Cinema Site is down and the contact number I found is no longer in service so that isn't a good sign.
HD Flash DVR less expensive than CineRAM. James, check this tread:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=52964
Serge Victorovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2005, 08:45 AM   #17
Trustee

i posted this question on direct to disk forum and no1 seems to know.

has anyone made a record to 3.5" hard drive yet? they have SATA2, 500GB drives =). think about that. just 1 drive can give you 456.25GB or roughly 7 and 1/2 hours of hi-def (based on 1GB=1minute). dunno how that converts into uncompressed 1080i. how much does 1080i take up via SDI?

it seems that it's only logical. those firestore solutions only does 80GB.
Old November 9th, 2005, 10:51 AM   #18
CTO, CineForm Inc.

uncompressed 1080i HS-SDI = 1920x1080x30(frames)x2(bytes= for 8-bit 4:2:2) = 120MBytes/s, about 3 and 4 times the speed a single drive can sustain. 10-bit uncompressed from HD-SDI is 150MBytes/s. It is for this higher data rates CineForm is working with Wafian to build HDSDI compression solutions -- allowing a 500GB drive to store 7 hours of 10-bit data.
Old November 10th, 2005, 09:20 AM   #19
Trustee

but a single hard drive can't sustain 150MB/s. only raid0 and a few hard drives will get you that. you're right... this is why no1's made one yet =). very interesting...

thx for clearing that up.
Old November 10th, 2005, 11:18 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Newman
It is for this higher data rates CineForm is working with Wafian to build HDSDI compression solutions -- allowing a 500GB drive to store 7 hours of 10-bit data.
Which brings us back to the question of whether a single 3.5" drive could be configured in a battery-powered device to capture to a compressed format like Prospect HD. If I understand correctly, 10-bit Prospect HD requires less than 20 MB/sec sustained throughput, so theoretically well within the capability of today's fast hard drives. I have an external USB2 hard drive with a standard 2.5" laptop drive in it, and that even scores close to 20 MB/sec on one performance test while running off the power in the USB cable. How hard could it be to build something based on a 3.5" drive which can sustain 20 Mb/sec reliably?
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2005, 11:57 AM   #21
Trustee

how does prospect HD look in quality vs. HDV? i mean if it's roughly the same, HDV takes care of most of those application. the focal point of HD SDI would be uncompressed cap, right?
Old November 11th, 2005, 08:31 AM   #22
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yi Fong Yu
how does prospect HD look in quality vs. HDV? i mean if it's roughly the same, HDV takes care of most of those application. the focal point of HD SDI would be uncompressed cap, right?
Prospect HD is a higher quality format than HDV in several ways, but at a data rate much more manageable than uncompressed HD. Avid has a similar codec for similar reasons: uncompressed HD is simply too much data to manage effectively for most projects, but HDV is too compressed to be considered robust enough for demanding video work. With HD-SDI you can capture to a variety of formats all the way up to uncompressed HD, plus on the XL-H1 you can opt to record to HDV if you don't need anything more than that.
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2005, 12:23 PM   #23
Trustee

meaning less compression artifacts? blocky pixels?
Old November 15th, 2005, 07:17 AM   #24
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yi Fong Yu
meaning less compression artifacts? blocky pixels?

Well it's a 10bit codec for starters, so better than 8bit DVCProHD and because it's frame based you can edit more simply than HDV native )it's much higher data rate than HDV native). There's a thread in HD100 forum where David Newman CEO of Cineform has chimed in.

Looking at their website tests etc it looks a very viable option to uncompressed.
John Mitchell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders