DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Does the new Canon Have Vari-cam like attributes? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/51755-does-new-canon-have-vari-cam-like-attributes.html)

Laurence Maher September 26th, 2005 02:46 AM

Does the new Canon Have Vari-cam like attributes?

The Panasonic has varicam for slow mo and fast mo. Does this new canon have over and undercrank as well?

Barry Green September 26th, 2005 03:35 AM

No. Although if shooting in a 24F project, you could use 30F for a very slight overcrank (and, of course, the reverse applies as well: you could shoot a 30F project and use 24F for a slight undercrank).

Peter Moore September 26th, 2005 01:45 PM

If you want a slow-mo, you should shoot in 60i and then slow it down selectively by combining fields.

Dylan Couper September 27th, 2005 05:55 PM

It's too bad. Since I do a bit of action oriented stuff, the overcrank feature of the HVX200 might actually be the selling point for me. I wonder is it too late to get Canon to build in a 60F mode?

Barry Green September 27th, 2005 06:48 PM

60F will certainly not happen on the XL H1, nor will it likely happen in any 1080-res camera for a long, long, long time. AFAIK, 1080/60p isn't even on the drawing board.

60p is possible in 720, but in 1080 you only get that kind of refresh rate if you're shooting interlaced.

1080/60p is the ultimate goal (and the EBU very much wants to see 1080/50p) but as of right now it's not even really being talked about... we're just now seeing broadcasters offering HD services, I don't think there'll be too much appetite to tell them "okay, now rip out all that equipment you just installed and replace it with all this new 1080p gear"...

Thomas Smet September 27th, 2005 10:24 PM

Remember the frame rate options only work in 720p mode which on the HVX200 gives you 960x720. If you must shoot 1080i or 1080p/F then both cameras will record the exact same framerates.

The JVC can also shoot 60p video but only in 480p/576p which is great for SD.

Dylan Couper September 27th, 2005 10:44 PM

BOOO!!!!

That's all I have to say about any of it.

This may be dumb, but why can't the camera manfucaturers make a real overcrank/undercrank mode. How hard would it really be to make the deck record at a faster tape speed, then play back at a slower pace?

Chris Hurd September 28th, 2005 06:38 AM

How hard would it be to not have a tape deck in there at all?

Luis Caffesse September 28th, 2005 09:33 AM

Now you're talking!

Simon Cooper September 30th, 2005 03:06 AM

Gasp! Are you suggesting that camera manufacturers are propping up a DV tape market, much like printers are sold cheap to support a lucrative ink industry? ;-)

It does seem odd that Apple (and anyone looking to make an iClone) can mass produce very slim, large format, hard drives that would seem to be perfect for mounting on DV cameras and yet we're still not seeing that option. (I guess that's the cue for someone to point out that it has already happened somewhere.)

Trying to answer my own question here: does it have something to do with the DV standard that the major manufacturers signed up to years ago? I suppose a DV camera wouldn't be DV without the ability to take DV tapes?

Si

Rob Lohman October 6th, 2005 06:51 PM

Dylan: that wouldn't be hard to do at all actually. The problem is putting it in some standard format that you can then edit and work with (yes I know formats exist, but that doesn't mean they are easy to use). Also price is an issue of course.

Higher framerates and 10 or 12 bits are far more interesting to me personally than HD. But who am I...

Amr Toukhy October 7th, 2005 01:31 AM

Frame rates

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laurence Maher
The Panasonic has varicam for slow mo and fast mo. Does this new canon have over and undercrank as well?

what are the frame rates that the Pana is capable of!!

Barry Green October 7th, 2005 10:47 AM

The VariCam can do any frame rate from 4 to 60.

The HVX doesn't have that full range, but it does have quite a few rates. They haven't confirmed all the frame rates, but at ResFest we were able to get them to confirm several. So this is not an all-inclusive list, but this is the bare minimum of the frame rates that will be available, and more may be added by the time the camera ships:
1, 12, 18, 22, 24, 30, 36, 48, 60