I have the XLH1 for the weekend - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old October 1st, 2005, 05:11 AM   #31
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaku Ito

Oh yes, I was going to do that test anyway, but can anyone help me to make the file with Illustrator or Photoshop to print that out?
Kaku

an A4 landscape checkerboard jpeg can be found here:

http://s40.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0...50ZD7Y7Q5YPJOA

Beware ***PLUGGER-BYTES***
John Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2005, 05:42 AM   #32
Barry Wan Kenobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaku Ito
Barry,

I'm not quite understanding the situation.
Is there any parameter to adjust this? It does not do anything electronically when I'm moving the LCD.
There's an option in the menus to "flip" the LCD. If you enable that option, does it make everything upside-down in the LCD/Viewfinder?
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2005, 06:00 AM   #33
Regular Crew

One more thing about this checkerboard test that John is suggesting and you are going to do:

If you have time, you could shoot these 4 zoom setting with three different aperture settings:
1. T: Wide open
2. T: 5.6
3. T: 11

To do this as neutrally as possible I would change the shutterspeed to compensate the exposure so that whites are 100%.

Maybe this is obvius but...
It is easier to deal with these 12 Checkerboards if you have previously printed small notes that you put forexample in the middle of the one black square (make them as small as possible but big enough that you can see them in your edit).
For example:
Canon XL-H1 5.4mm T: 1.6
Canon XL-H1 5.4mm T: 5.6
Canon XL-H1 5.4mm T: 11
Canon XL-H1 25 mm T: 1.6
Canon XL-H1 25 mm T: 5,6
Canon XL-H1 25 mm T: 11
Canon XL-H1 60 mm T: ?
Canon XL-H1 60 mm T: 5,6
Canon XL-H1 60 mm T: 11
Canon XL-H1 108 mm T: 3.5
Canon XL-H1 108 mm T: 5.6
Canon XL-H1 108 mm T: 11

If yu can do equivalent to Sony it makes life easier....

Last edited by Pekka Uotila; October 1st, 2005 at 07:08 AM.
Pekka Uotila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2005, 06:06 AM   #34
Barry Wan Kenobi

Kaku: PLEASE try digitizing some 24F footage directly from the XL H1. You cannot digitize using your Sony, as 24F footage will not play in the Sony. The only hope we have of seeing 24F footage is if you can successfully digitize directly from the XL H1. So please don't let the XL H1 out of your hands before you digitize some 24F footage for us! :)
Old October 1st, 2005, 06:19 AM   #35
Skyonic New York

Chromatic Aberration what to look for....look at the purple fringe in the leaves
on the upper left....

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/cano...01-1330-26.jpg
Robert Mann Z. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2005, 06:32 AM   #36
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Mann Z.
Chromatic Aberration what to look for....look at the purple fringe in the leaves
on the upper left....

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/cano...01-1330-26.jpg
Robert,

gotcha.

Kaku
Kaku Ito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2005, 08:08 AM   #37
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Green
There's an option in the menus to "flip" the LCD. If you enable that option, does it make everything upside-down in the LCD/Viewfinder?
I could not find that in the menu!! There's a parameter says "FB" under the camera setting, but it is not selectible even I take off the lense.
Old October 1st, 2005, 08:13 AM   #38
Barry Wan Kenobi

I saw it in the menu on the XL H1 at ResFest, but I don't remember where it was...

I'm pretty sure it said "flip", might have been named "EVF FLIP" or "LCD FLIP" or something like that...
Old October 1st, 2005, 08:15 AM   #39
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Jay
Kaku

an A4 landscape checkerboard jpeg can be found here:

http://s40.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0...50ZD7Y7Q5YPJOA
Thanks John Jay.

Kaku
Old October 1st, 2005, 08:28 AM   #40
Regular Crew

Kaku,
as a response to your,
"I could not find that in the menu!! There's a parameter says "FB" under the camera setting, but it is not selectible even I take off the lense."
Today 12:32 PM
Kaku Ito

I have got few days ago a following message about this matter:

"With DV compatible XL lenses, the EVF reverse function will be deactivated while displaying the menu screens.
EVF Reverse can only be operated with the custom key settings."

I hope it helps you to find it.
Old October 1st, 2005, 08:46 AM   #41
Obstreperous Rex

Sorry I am late to this... "EVF Flip" is a function which can be assigned to one of the two user-defined Custom Keys on the XL H1.

"FB" is the Flange-Back function, which is a back-focus adjustment for the stock 20x HD lens. You have a choice of Automatic, where the camera goes through a process of finding its own correct backfocus, or Manual, where you set the backfocus yourself. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2005, 10:25 AM   #42
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
Sorry I am late to this... "EVF Flip" is a function which can be assigned to one of the two user-defined Custom Keys on the XL H1.

"FB" is the Flange-Back function, which is a back-focus adjustment for the stock 20x HD lens. You have a choice of Automatic, where the camera goes through a process of finding its own correct backfocus, or Manual, where you set the backfocus yourself. Hope this helps,
I did not look into the custom keys section. I will do that tomorrow morning.
It's 1:16am after a busy day and the battery of XLH1 went off.
Many files are being upload right now (it says it will finsih in about an hour), so afte Chris process them, you will be able to download the files. Remember that me or my wife are not professional cameraperson. We just do enough for making video for mountainbiking. Also, we are very spoiled with auto-focus feature of Sony FX1 and HC1 and our manual focusing ability was very rusty. I had little rough time adjusting the focus after zooming up on this prototype, I have to override and adjust the focus on every zooming in (you can see that on the cappuccinomaking clip).

Once again, I want to express my appreciation to Frederic Haubrich for use of LumiereHD beta version. As some of you guess it, XLH1 did not work with Final Cut Pro 5 at this point. LumiereHD beta did not have any problem capturing from XLH1.

Good night for today to all.

Kaku Ito
xtream.ne.jp

Just in case you want to compare the bikeseq file shot with HC1 and FX1, here is the door to the download section. You have to register at the site to go to the download section.
Old October 1st, 2005, 10:52 AM   #43
Obstreperous Rex

Regarding the links to the XL H1 versions of the "bikeseq" files that Kaku refers to above, those will be posted here in just a few minutes... under a new topic though. We'll start a new thread for the download clips. Hang on for a minute and I'll have those posted.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2005, 11:12 AM   #44
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
Regarding the links to the XL H1 versions of the "bikeseq" files that Kaku refers to above, those will be posted here in just a few minutes... under a new topic though. We'll start a new thread for the download clips. Hang on for a minute and I'll have those posted.
More files are being uploaded but I sent them as a batch so it will take long time to complete the transmission.

Good night.
Old October 1st, 2005, 11:32 AM   #45
Trustee

Transferring is done on my side. Good luck Chris and I'm off to bed.
Hope you can get good use of my footage.

Best,

Kaku
Kaku Ito is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders