rotate 180 degrees at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old September 30th, 2005, 11:24 AM   #1
Regular Crew

rotate 180 degrees

I wonder if there is time left for the Canon engineers to provide a "rotate 180
degrees" function for the XL H1, custom builders of mini35mm adapters would
love it.
Alexandre Lucena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2005, 11:54 AM   #2
Major Player

Uhh...done. Not sure exactly what you mean, but the LCD can indeed flip for those converters. Read up on it...

Kevin
Kevin Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2005, 11:54 AM   #3
Major Player

Alexandre, they already have. Check through the posts in the XL-H1 thread.
Eric Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2005, 12:07 PM   #4
Regular Crew

rotate 180

I mean that the image is rotated then recorded the right side. So we would not need to rotate in post. I believe this is not a big deal for Canon to incorporate in this new camera. And certainly a big plus for that 35mm look
desperate ones like myself.
Old September 30th, 2005, 12:28 PM   #5
Obstreperous Rex

There's just not enough of an overall demand for this, considering it's pretty simple to rotate it in post.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2005, 12:58 PM   #6
Barry Wan Kenobi

The rotation is not necessarily a "done deal" -- I talked with Canon at the Resfest booth yesterday, and asked about that menu item. I was told that yes it's in there, but it will only work with lenses other than the stock lens. He said there's some sort of switch that prevents it from activating when the stock lens is attached, but if you removed the stock lens and attached something like the P+S Technik, then the rotation feature becomes "enabled".

I asked a couple of times, to make sure that's what he meant, because the way I heard it, it makes no sense. The only time you *would* want it to flip is when the stock lens is attached! The thinking is: the mini35 already has the roof pentaprism to flip the image optically anyway; the G35 and the Micro35/M2 will attach to the front of the stock lens. So the Mini35 doesn't need the capability to flip, and the stock lens does.

He said that if someone were to attach something like a B4 lens adapter, it would also need the ability to flip -- which, again, doesn't make sense to me. But that's what I was told.

All I'm saying is: don't count that chicken before it's hatched. Maybe Kaku can verify whether the flip actually works with the stock lens attached...
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2005, 11:28 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
There's just not enough of an overall demand for this, considering it's pretty simple to rotate it in post.
True. Even an editing program as basic as iMovie HD has a provision for this.
Eric Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2005, 05:08 AM   #8
New Boot

Do I understand this correct? The LCD on the XL H1 can flip the image so you see it the right/normal way when using a Micro35? But the image is still recorded up-side-down on tape?

Regards, Kasper
Kasper Rye Petersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2005, 05:29 AM   #9
Obstreperous Rex

Yes Kasper that is exactly right.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2005, 06:07 PM   #10
Barry Wan Kenobi

Not necessarily -- has Kaku verified this? I was told by Tim Smith of Canon that the image flip is only enabled if the camera's main lens is removed -- and that would mean it would not work with low-cost adapters like the Guerilla35 or Micro35, which rely on using the stock lens...
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2005, 06:18 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Green
Not necessarily -- has Kaku verified this? I was told by Tim Smith of Canon that the image flip is only enabled if the camera's main lens is removed -- and that would mean it would not work with low-cost adapters like the Guerilla35 or Micro35, which rely on using the stock lens...
Then whats the use of having it? The Mini35 doesnt need a image flip!
Soroush Shahrokni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2005, 05:50 AM   #12
Regular Crew

A.s.a.p

I strongly believe Canon should provide 180 degrees rotate function for this camera. As it is intended to attend the demands of indie documentary and
fiction moviemakers, and why not local tv advertising? This kind of image
requirement asks for what we percieve as film look. 35mm DOF is an important aspect that should be taken into account. As we all know custom adapters are here to stay untill big CCDs cameras come to us at a reasonable price.
Old October 4th, 2005, 09:09 AM   #13
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Green
Barry,
I could not find it with the lense on and the lense off. Maybe other lense other than standard lense has to be on?
Also, the cam I had did say preproduction model.
Kaku Ito is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders